Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-13-2007, 05:51 AM   #1

I know there was a recent thread regarding no cable tv signal, but it was due to a tv setting on the rear tv.

My front tv has never seemed to get any where near all the park cable tv channals that are available. We do get a few channals, so it's not like we don't get any signal, we might get 5 channels out of 30 or 40.

This is a 2005 Sightseer with a RCA front tv with a RCA VHS/DVD surround sound system. I don't see any switch boxes and the tv does show 'cable' as the imput, with 'cable' and 'air' being the two choices.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:51 AM   #2

I know there was a recent thread regarding no cable tv signal, but it was due to a tv setting on the rear tv.

My front tv has never seemed to get any where near all the park cable tv channals that are available. We do get a few channals, so it's not like we don't get any signal, we might get 5 channels out of 30 or 40.

This is a 2005 Sightseer with a RCA front tv with a RCA VHS/DVD surround sound system. I don't see any switch boxes and the tv does show 'cable' as the imput, with 'cable' and 'air' being the two choices.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!
Old 07-13-2007, 06:02 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I had this problem.

Go into the menu on your TV and change the antenna setting to cable. See if that works. Be sure to do a new
"auto program" in the menu section while you're hooked up to the cable.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:21 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DonavonP:
I had this problem.

Go into the menu on your TV and change the antenna setting to cable. See if that works. Be sure to do a new
"auto program" in the menu section while you're hooked up to the cable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

DonovanP;

Thanks for the reply; I have gone into the Setup menu and it does show Cable. I changed it to Air, then back to Cable. When it's searching the channels to program, I notice that very few channels are coming through, so the end result is very few channels get programmed.

If there is no switch box located up front, is are there any other user settings that can be changed somewhere in the MH?
Old 07-13-2007, 07:03 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Whoops!! I see you had stated that in your original post.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:33 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

The assumption here is that the TV Cable System from the Park is supplying all the Channels you are trying to get.
I only note this because we had a similar experience but found on inquiry that the problem was with the Park System. Next place we stopped was fine.
Hope this helps.

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:59 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Do you have the distribution box in the overhead cabinet, passenger side? Thats where mine is and you must push the cable input button for the front tv supply. Its a long thin box with 15-18 push buttons. It should be right above the DVD player.
Bagger97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 01:00 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Richard ...

It sounds to me like you have not found all of your switches (or one of the switches is defective)

I am not a TV expert (and I may be off a little in fact but as I understand the principle)

When you are receiving TV on you antenna channels 2 through 8 are all on adjacent frequencies ... then there is a jump in frequencies to channels 9 through 13 (they are on adjacent frequencies) ... then a bigger jump from 13 through 99

When you are receiving TV on cable all the channels are on adjacent frequencies ...

This leads me to believe that somewhere there is a switch that is not connecting the cable to your TV correctly ... or your TV set is not switching from antenna to cable correctly

PS. There might me one more culprit that is causing your disconnect ... that is your DVD player ... or VCR whichever you have ....
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 05:23 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Capt. Chet:
The assumption here is that the TV Cable System from the Park is supplying all the Channels you are trying to get.
I only note this because we had a similar experience but found on inquiry that the problem was with the Park System. Next place we stopped was fine.
Hope this helps. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was hoping that would be the case here but this is the third RV park we have gone to and not gotten all the listed cable stations.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:40 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bagger97:
Do you have the distribution box in the overhead cabinet, passenger side? Thats where mine is and you must push the cable input button for the front tv supply. Its a long thin box with 15-18 push buttons. It should be right above the DVD player. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bagger97;

I don't have a factory switch box like my older Flair MH.

On the driver's side overhead is a input/output for satellite tv but is not in use, though this MH does have a roof-mounted satellite anteanna. On the passenger side overhead is a 300 watt inverter, with a RCA VHS/DVD home theater surround sound system mounted below that. I can see any switches or settings that can be changed, other than through the front tv.

Last night I did unhook the park cable from the MH and the few stations we were getting still came in after unplugging and with the same clarity. A few stations come in perfectly clear and it didn't make any difference in picture quality if the cable was plugged in or not to the MH. I tried switching the tv input from the tv menu, using Air and Cable, and I get the exact same stations with the exact same picture quality. I believe the rear tv gets its tv signal from the front system and same results on the rear tv; very few cable stations.

I guess when I get home I'll have to find the tv cable and see if it goes to the home theater and tv... it seems to me that something must not be plugged in. We watch movies more than anything and it took awhile for me to realize that the cable tv wasn't working properly...
Old 07-14-2007, 06:41 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

If there is an option for Antenna/Cable there has to be a switch center to send the signal to the VCR/TV/SAT/CABLE and Antenna power on/off for the front and rear TV's. From what I've seen "ALL" newer MH's have them Even my old 79 Brave had an A/B switch...
There has to be a switch panel located somewhere. If NOT someone removed it!
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 06:47 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

If you get some cable channels but not all of them your wiring is OK.

Your TV is not setup correctly. Get out your TV manual. If you don't have the manual you should be able to download it from the TV manufacturers website.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 07:37 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Tom N, that sounds logical except that Richard 34A already said he unplugged the cable and was still getting the same channels. That tells me that the cable signal isn't getting all the way to the TV since the amount and quality of channels doesn't change at all cable connected or not. Seems like something is not plugged in some where to me.

Retired Navy (ETCS/SW/AW)
Carnles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 07:51 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

There has to be a switch box! That is the ONLY way I can think of to change the input to the tv from VCR/ANT/Cable/SAT it can't be done from the TV setup screen you need a signal...
Stand up on the passenger seat and fish around behind the VCR maybe it fell off! The other is people we know had a 05 and if you didn't know the switch was there you couldn't see it from the floor level because it was behind the lower lip of the cabinet (bottom) Like I said before you need a manual switch ONLY high end coaches have remote selector but they still have selector... auto or manual need a signal
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 09:10 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Have you tried to run the cable from the park box directly to the jack on the TV?

This will eliminate the possibility of the TV and/or the park connection. If you have a small TV, carry it outside and try to connect to cable at the post.

We had a neighbor once that pulled in and hooked up to the cable....and hooked up and hooked up. Saw he was going crazy trying to get it going. I walked over and he said it was working at the place they were that morning. I was helping him chase the connections down and when I pulled his connector at the box and looked at it, the problem was apparent. In hooking up, he had bent the center connector over and it was not being inserted. Used a knife to lift the wire to center it and carefully inserted it and ....wow....TV worked. So don't over look the obvious and not so obvious.

Ken

Ken
Old 07-14-2007, 09:17 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

One more - this may sound stupid, but when I had the same problem I found that the cable I used for the park was bad. I also found, in a different event, that I had forgotten to attach the cable feed to the back of the distribution box.

2005 Honda Pilot Toad
r2dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 09:44 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I went to the Winnie "Previous Model" page on their site and found that the Sightseer (2005) is suppose to come with the Switch Box and Ant power boost. That box is usually in the Entertainment section on the passenger side. It sounds to me that he is only receiving "over the air" stations. Does Winnie put the switch box somewhere else if one had the 300W Inverter?
Frank O.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:13 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

I think I remember somebody posting recently that on the lower end RVs that don't have the multi-pushbutton switchbox it's necessary to turn off the antenna booster to select the cable input. I don't know if that's correct or not but it might be worth a try...

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 11:11 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Might as well add my 2 cents worth.

Don't know if your's is the same or not but on my Itasca there are 2 cable "in" terminals in the electrical bay, one is for satellite and the other is for cable service. I know for a fact that if you plug into the "sat" jack with cable service it will not work. They are clearly labeled but "operator headspace" being what it is in my case can still allow me to get it backwards. Hope this helps..

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 04:49 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Cbeier is right. I have a 2004 sightseer and in the overhead compartment above the passenger there is a antenna booster switch pushbutton its hard to see its part of the wall socket/12 volt socket plate. I had that problem too, all fix now.

Retired 22 years
teeman is offline   Reply With Quote