Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2021, 08:59 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

New Radio Install With Apple Car Play

I need a new radio.https://www.bestbuy.com/site/alpine-...?skuId=6333656 I have a iPhone 8 that has Waze, and I would like to get a Weather app. If the radio has Apple CarPlay so I should be able to use Waze and the Weather App correct?

Is there a Weather App that will sit in the background and give a Weather Warning should I drive into the area where the warning is being broadcast?

Thanks LeeB
Old 03-07-2021, 10:38 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Did you end up getting that alpine? We’re interested in upgrading the unit in our 2018 intent but weren’t sure what might work well.
RedQueenBWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:31 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedQueenBWG View Post
Did you end up getting that alpine? We’re interested in upgrading the unit in our 2018 intent but weren’t sure what might work well.

I have not got it yet but I am pretty sure the Alpine is the way I am going ti go.
LeeB
Old 03-18-2021, 08:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Kenwood DNX775RVS

Quote:

We replaced the factory installed radio/bluetooth/nav system with a Kenwood DNX775RVS. Not cheap... spent $1600 installed... but had little choice as the old unit died. Still getting accustomed to it but so far we like it much better. It supports Apple and Google car play but we haven't tried that yet. The other day I had the new unit performing three functions at once. On a split screen I had the Nav system displayed on one side of the screen and the rear camera view on the other side while using bluetooth to play music from my phone. The Nav system is Garmin and designed for trucks and RVs, checking for height and weight restrictions you can set up for your specific vehicle.

Not sure if it does weather alerts yet. Haven't gotten that far.
Kegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 10:33 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Awesome! Can you send pics? And also, where did you buy it snd is the GPS integrated? I assume so, which is great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegler View Post
We replaced the factory installed radio/bluetooth/nav system with a Kenwood DNX775RVS. Not cheap... spent $1600 installed... but had little choice as the old unit died. Still getting accustomed to it but so far we like it much better. It supports Apple and Google car play but we haven't tried that yet. The other day I had the new unit performing three functions at once. On a split screen I had the Nav system displayed on one side of the screen and the rear camera view on the other side while using bluetooth to play music from my phone. The Nav system is Garmin and designed for trucks and RVs, checking for height and weight restrictions you can set up for your specific vehicle.

Not sure if it does weather alerts yet. Haven't gotten that far.
RedQueenBWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 10:11 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Kenwood DNX775RVS

Attached a few images of the unit in operation... one showing split screen with navigation and rear camera... the others showing full screen of navigation and bluetooth music. You can switch between the various displays using icons on touch screen.

Yes, the nav system is integrated into the unit. I bought it and had it installed at the local car stereo shop. Had to lead them through it a bit, telling them that YES there was a unit designed for truck/RV use and giving them exact model number. I've found that neither RV dealers nor repair shops for engine/chassis want to deal with this. Repair shops for engine/chassis say it's an add on and not original equipment so they won't touch it. RV dealers say it's part of the cab so they won't deal with it. So I recommend finding a local car stereo shop that deals in Kenwood brand and give them the model number. If they're any good they should be able to take it from there.
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2021, 04:22 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Jensen Car10

Check out For all Intents and Purposes one of the regular members recently bought a Jensen car10 and found it was a perfect fit in replacing the stock pioneer 7”. It has apple car play with a 10 inch screen. I just ordered one on Amazon for $310. Has a backup camera connection.
Old 03-21-2021, 05:08 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Watch Those Overpasses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twpinaz View Post
Check out For all Intents and Purposes one of the regular members recently bought a Jensen car10 and found it was a perfect fit in replacing the stock pioneer 7”. It has apple car play with a 10 inch screen. I just ordered one on Amazon for $310. Has a backup camera connection.
A nav unit intended for a car is just fine until it puts you on a road with low clearance overpasses.
Old 03-21-2021, 05:38 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegler View Post
A nav unit intended for a car is just fine until it puts you on a road with low clearance overpasses.
True. The Jensen CAR10 doesn’t include navigation, just has Apple CarPlay and Android. I’ve read too many mixed reviews on the Garmin RV nav, so I’ll stick with the basic.
The real bonus with the CAR10 is the giant 10” screen.
Old 03-23-2021, 09:32 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGoHom View Post
True. The Jensen CAR10 doesn’t include navigation, just has Apple CarPlay and Android. I’ve read too many mixed reviews on the Garmin RV nav, so I’ll stick with the basic.
What are you planning on using for GPS via the Carplay, I assume? I was going to use the RV Life app this weekend and it crashed, so I just used Waze instead.
Old 03-23-2021, 12:07 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Garmin Nav Seems Ok So Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGoHom View Post

Haven't had lots of experience with the Garmin nav system but so far only had one criticism... that it gets "stubborn" about rerouting you. There were two good routes to my destination on a recent trip, one requiring a right turn onto the main road from my neighborhood and the other requiring a left turn. The left turn was Garmin's preferred route but, for my own reasons, I went right. The darn thing refused to reroute to the alternate route for at least 30 miles. Other than that little incident, the Garmin nav system has been just fine.

The low overpass issue shouldn't be minimized. If you ever find yourself stopped in traffic on a busy road because you've encountered an overpass you won't fit under, you tend to swear you'll never do it again. With traffic backed up behind you and no way to continue forward, it's an uncomfortable and downright dangerous position to be in.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:12 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I have a auto facility of over 30 yrs and use to manage big car dealers. It is amazing the work they turn down and most systems are plug an play per-say. I will admit as a independent it's a little harder because oh the factory does the installs and wiring. Tricks like using a 9v battery to know what speaker is which. My unit in my 2009 Journey has also a radio in the bedroom. Both these radios are called din and 3/4 which normally is a din and a half or double din. All stereo places have spacer plates that allows you to interchange the din size. Same with speakers if you have 5.5 speaker in the front overhead console in mine. I will be upgrading them to a 6.25 which I can easily open the hole or use an extension ring allowing me to go to the optional size speaker. Now I have noticed that with the radio I have and any song with any type of bass I get a vibration in the panel. So stuffing foam in the void will deaden the vibration of the panel. Right now I put in a little Aux Bluetooth control and I can at least play my music off my phone or Ipad through the radio. Above my radio on my dash is a Ipad that I can control my GPS, Radar weather and run my Spotify. The nice part will be a flip up screen in the bed radio that will be replaced so I can see the weather map etc and my stereo/tv all through that radio. I can also control under glow etc
HollywoodGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 02:48 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollywoodGT View Post
I have a auto facility of over 30 yrs and use to manage big car dealers. It is amazing the work they turn down and most systems are plug an play per-say. I will admit as a independent it's a little harder because oh the factory does the installs and wiring. Tricks like using a 9v battery to know what speaker is which. My unit in my 2009 Journey has also a radio in the bedroom. Both these radios are called din and 3/4 which normally is a din and a half or double din. All stereo places have spacer plates that allows you to interchange the din size. Same with speakers if you have 5.5 speaker in the front overhead console in mine. I will be upgrading them to a 6.25 which I can easily open the hole or use an extension ring allowing me to go to the optional size speaker. Now I have noticed that with the radio I have and any song with any type of bass I get a vibration in the panel. So stuffing foam in the void will deaden the vibration of the panel. Right now I put in a little Aux Bluetooth control and I can at least play my music off my phone or Ipad through the radio. Above my radio on my dash is a Ipad that I can control my GPS, Radar weather and run my Spotify. The nice part will be a flip up screen in the bed radio that will be replaced so I can see the weather map etc and my stereo/tv all through that radio. I can also control under glow etc
I really want to either move the speakers down to the cab, or add an additional set. When driving, at least in our Intent 31P, the speakers are so high up above the upper bunk, I have to blast the music just to hear it. Forget taking a call via Bluetooth, cant barely hear the person talking.
Old 03-26-2021, 03:31 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

31P Intent Speakers

I also have the 2018 31P Intent and agree about the speaker placement.
I bought the Jensen Car10 and ordered 6.5 Pyle speakers and a speaker dash mount for them. When I install the new stereo I am going to wire and attach these new speakers to the dash and keep the stock speakers.
Will install everything in a couple of weeks, as tied up in a home remodel project right now.
I don't plan on using the radio for navigation as I also have a garmin RV770, but nice to know I could use it for nav through carplay if necessary. I do plan on using the radio to stream music, I had a lot of connectivity issues with the stock pioneer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Speakers.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	230.2 KB
ID:	178055   Click image for larger version

Name:	Speaker Mount.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	178056  

Old 03-26-2021, 09:51 PM   #15
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
I really want to either move the speakers down to the cab, or add an additional set. When driving, at least in our Intent 31P, the speakers are so high up above the upper bunk, I have to blast the music just to hear it. Forget taking a call via Bluetooth, cant barely hear the person talking.
Try this doghouse insulation first. It makes a ton of difference and you may not need additional speakers—we don’t

Here’s a video I did...

https://vimeo.com/429101708
Old 03-27-2021, 01:02 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Doghouse Insulation

Wyatt,
I agree the doghouse insulation does make a big difference reducing the noise. I also added the noico up under the wheel well (peel and stick) and not only do we benefit from the noise reduction, also the cab stays cool with the AC on. Before I had to have a fan blowing because it was so hot while driving.
We are adding the speakers, because we still turn up the volume and the kids complain it's too loud and they cannot hear the tv.
Here is the insulation material I used in the doghouse, slightly different than what you used. I liked the peel and stick application, but you must use a roller after applying to activate the butyl bond.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Noico.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	178092  
Old 03-27-2021, 01:14 PM   #17
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twpinaz View Post
Wyatt,
I agree the doghouse insulation does make a big difference reducing the noise. I also added the noico up under the wheel well (peel and stick) and not only do we benefit from the noise reduction, also the cab stays cool with the AC on. Before I had to have a fan blowing because it was so hot while driving.
We are adding the speakers, because we still turn up the volume and the kids complain it's too loud and they cannot hear the tv.
Here is the insulation material I used in the doghouse, slightly different than what you used. I liked the peel and stick application, but you must use a roller after applying to activate the butyl bond.
Thanks! I did that too, after being inspired by someone here. Even the wife noticed the difference. I think doing both is about as good as one can get, and they really do make the cab tolerable for listening to the radio, or making calls over the cab speakers. Probably one of the best, easiest, and cheapest things I’ve done. Well, the Noico under the wheel Wells was a bitch, I guess I’m too big for that cramped space...
Old 03-27-2021, 01:26 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Noico Wheel Well Tip

Under the wheel wells is indeed cramped. Had to raise the front levels all the way (blocked the rear wheel to prevent movement) and allowed the wheels to slightly drop down and increased the space. Then using a crawler wheeled under the carriage and was able to apply to both driver and passenger wheel well.

Tags
install, radio