Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

New MH Blues

OK, this is the maiden voyage of our 2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F. For me it's the only real way to check everything out. But, wow what a disappointment. It's obvious the dealer did NOT perform a systems check. The Main TV will can not view the DVD player nor can it even see the Satellite input. The Outside TV doesn't see TV does not see the SAT box either. I did do some deep and dirty checks and found out that they didn't even install the HD Video Distribution Center, thus no SAT input. However I can't watch movies in the living room is another story. This is just the beginning of list of things they must fix ASAP. The list grows, another day and a half to go. This coach should not have left the factory this way, yet alone left the dealership.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I hope you have not handed over the big check yet, because the only thing you can do is tell him "YOU Mr dealer, are responsible for delivering me a fully working unit. I am not your tester. Either you go through the whole thing and demonstrate to us that EVERYTHING works, or we walk, and take our check with us." Some of those dealers are no more ethical than your local used car seller with the white belt and shiny shoes. Stand your ground - you'll only get one chance at it.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:10 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Are you sure you are using the right Input on the TVs, some of the Winnebagos use an HDMI matrix now for distribution?
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:32 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Did you read your manual, when I have problems with the TV it is a operator error
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Go to this site and read the problems they had with their NEW 2014, $400,000 MH from Winnebago. Take it back to the dealer and give him a itemized list of problems. they fix it or take it back. You may need to seek an attorney
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I am not surprised with dealer screwups, but am alittle surprised at Winnebago. My experiences have been good (maybe just lucky). At least on mine, it is not obvious how to use the TVs from different sources I have the HDMI switcher). If the coach left the factory with satellite, I would be very surprised if it wasn't fully hooked up. If dealer installed, it is really catch as catch can.
I will be interested to hear the end of your story! Good luck.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Our 2014 Minnie Winnie had TV audio input plugged into output jacks, also required 'turning on' (a hidden push button) to allow antenna input to the TV. The manual only hints at it.
During our dealer orientation, I discovered they had never been educated on these new 2014 RVs.
RFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:34 AM   #8
GG1
Winnie-Wise

When you buy new do not take it on a long trip right away, its best to use it on short trips near home or in your driveway. Be patient the list will get longer. Many of us will not buy another new coach for that reason. Unfortunalely thats just then way it is not matter how hard we scream.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:40 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I have always been a hard nosed Winnie fan. Owned several of them and was always satisfied with the build and quality. However, lately I am becoming very discoraged with what I am hearing. Fleetwood went through this cycle and today after a complete flame out, they are becoming a source of satisfaction. Winnie wake up and check which way the wind is blowing.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:59 AM   #10
YC1
Winnebago Owner

They provide all of the parts most of the time on RV's. They don't tell you it is seldom they all work at the same time.

Especially on a new one.

You need to be handy with tools and a check book or both.

And one more piece of advice. Read the manual cover to cover and do not skip any details. Then have your spouse read it. Then read it again and do so every three or four months. Make a cheat sheet, write page numbers on the front for quick reference.
And also read every manual that came with the RV.

Doesn't sound like fun but my high school Electronics/science teacher told me.
"If it doesn't work, read the book", "If it still doesn't work, follow it". Best advice I ever received.

As suggested, driveway camping can be fun and very relaxing while learning all of the bells and whistles. When we drove current one home for the first time we bought pizza and beer for the neighbors. Their kids were told to find all of the switches and tell me what they do. They had a ball and I had some great teachers.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Your situation is all to common. Had the same thing happened to us. Wound up in conversation with the owner of the RV business. Everything was fixed in time but the hassle was avoidable. they should fix everything, do not rest until they do.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
They provide all of the parts most of the time on RV's. They don't tell you it is seldom they all work at the same time.

Especially on a new one.

You need to be handy with tools and a check book or both.

And one more piece of advice. Read the manual cover to cover and do not skip any details. Then have your spouse read it. Then read it again and do so every three or four months. Make a cheat sheet, write page numbers on the front for quick reference.
And also read every manual that came with the RV.

Doesn't sound like fun but my high school Electronics/science teacher told me.
"If it doesn't work, read the book", "If it still doesn't work, follow it". Best advice I ever received.

As suggested, driveway camping can be fun and very relaxing while learning all of the bells and whistles. When we drove current one home for the first time we bought pizza and beer for the neighbors. Their kids were told to find all of the switches and tell me what they do. They had a ball and I had some great teachers.
I couldn't agree more! The list is long on what you'll have to discover on your own. But remember, every problem has a solution - if you'll take the time to learn! Oh, and I'm a very happy camper now!
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

SuperGewl - On our '13 Sightseer the over the air antenna needs to be turned on with a small button switch inside the overhead compartment above the passenger. A flashlight wil show the tiny switch. On ours the HDMO to cat5 converter pair was installed backwards. The 'sender' labeled unit needs to be at the sat. box end and the receiver labeled unit at the TV. You can read the stenciled label on the converter box near the living room TV. Remove the 4 screws that hold the center right lower cabinet back. If it says 'sender' it's wrong as ours was. The opposite unit is behind the right panel in the front overhead cabinet buried behind a multitude of cables. I quick test is to run a long HDMI cable from the sat box to the back of the TV. If it works all the sat stuff is OK it's just the HDMI to cat5 boxes. I don't have the outside TV so I'm not sure how the sat signal gets to it. Sorry
Bill596 '13 Sightseer 33C.
Bill596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:19 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Thank you for the support and encouragement.
I dropped it off at the dealership and gave them the list of items to fix. I've already done 3 days of disassembling and reassembling this coach to verify that the Splitter HD distribution Box is not there, thus no Satellite input. If I could have figured out how to disassemble the TV I would have checked the video input to the Conveter-Composit to HDMI Box for the DVD player input.
While it's there I think I will have them put a Satellite Dish on the unit. But first they have to fix my coach. I also just received the Winnebago new coach Survey. I guess the Dealer will be getting a very low score on PDI, in my case NO PDI.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:35 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

If you didn't have a satellite dish installed at the factory, then what you get is prewire, which means the wiring is run from the sat location to the box, but not necessarily hooked up at the box. If you now have a sat dish installed, the installer will finish the job. The non-working DVD player is another story. Something wrong there. Good luck in getting things straightened out.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:14 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

In order to view Sat or Cable reception, the small button in the overhead
compartment must be turned off. It is only used when watching from the antenna.
This is a power boost for reception.
The TV's have to be programed for the signal input you are using.
Draw down from the menu choices when the TV is first turned on.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:51 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Claw View Post
In order to view Sat or Cable reception, the small button in the overhead
compartment must be turned off. It is only used when watching from the antenna.
This is a power boost for reception.
The TV's have to be programed for the signal input you are using.
Draw down from the menu choices when the TV is first turned on.
It shouldn't make any difference for satellite viewing, whether the antenna amp is on or off.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
It shouldn't make any difference for satellite viewing, whether the antenna amp is on or off.
Absolutely. But, I think that the OP doesn't yet have a satellite dish, so the switch is doubly irrelevant.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

It all boils down to two situations. Number one total lack of pride of workmanship. Number two keep the line moving we must show more profit.

In the last couple of years Winnebago Industries has gone through a lot of personel changes and although a new broom sweeps clean it may still leave a lot of debris behind. As I have said many, many times before,founder John K. Hansen, would be appalled.

Would I buy a fourth Winnebago, probably, the friends and activities through the WIT Club are priceless.

Don G. WIT 70041
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

Sure hope you get everything ironed out! I too would be very hesitant to purchase another new unit because of everything that is not done right. Everything was repaired to our satisfaction but it took 5 weeks sitting at the dealers. Of course free camping and free food was not too difficult to take.

The only problem with purchasing used is you more than likely will get a unit that has had dogs / cats, or smoking inside. That is why we purchased new and just put up with the problems.

burfurd
burfurd is offline   Reply With Quote