Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2019, 11:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New Guy question - can satellite tv be watched while coach is in motion?

I've read about in motion auto aim satellite antennas, but the ones I have seen state that for Directv, which is what we use at home, they are only standard def, not HD. Isn't standard def going away soon? Doesn't that make these antennas useless soon? Is there a HD version? I'd like my wife to be able to watch while I drive. Any ideas here, anyone willing to offer a brief education to a new guy? What's a typical install charge on one of these setups, assuming there is a good choice out there?

Thanks!
Doug427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 06:45 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Switch to Dish, at least for the RV, and get a Wally, and an in-motion antenna like our Winegard RoadTrip T4.

As far as installation cost, I can't help you. I installed ours myself.

Even the DirecTV guys at Costco leave me alone as soon as I tell them we have Dish and a motorhome.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:45 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I use DirecTV on our Navion and the grandchildren watch stuff while we are driving. Yes it is not HD and there are HD ones available but at a premium. I figure it's camping LD is just fine for me.
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:20 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Owens View Post
I use DirecTV on our Navion and the grandchildren watch stuff while we are driving. Yes it is not HD and there are HD ones available but at a premium. I figure it's camping LD is just fine for me.

I'm with you on that, Mike. I'm not dead set on having HD. It would be nice but not necessary. My worry is limited programming content in SD vs. HD over time, and the possible eventual fading out of SD content as a whole, leaving us with the satellite TV version of Betamax players.

If I can ask a follow up question, here's something that confuses me. If I get the antenna that auto tracks the satellite allowing TV to be watched in the back while I drive, are we limited to watching any channel we want on a single satellite, meaning my wife can watch Channel 225 in the living room while my stepson can watch channel 226 in the bedroom, as long as they are on the same satellite? Or do all TV's need to watch the exact same channel?

While driving and while parked, is whatever the limitation is the same? Is this limitation the same regardless of whether we use Dish or Directv?

Thank you guys, I'm trying to learn as much as I can as quickly as possible.
Old 12-17-2019, 11:28 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Here is a pretty good article I found as a starting point for you. DIRECTV for RVs- What Are My Options? How Does Mobile Satellite TV Work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
I'm with you on that, Mike. I'm not dead set on having HD. It would be nice but not necessary. My worry is limited programming content in SD vs. HD over time, and the possible eventual fading out of SD content as a whole, leaving us with the satellite TV version of Betamax players.

If I can ask a follow up question, here's something that confuses me. If I get the antenna that auto tracks the satellite allowing TV to be watched in the back while I drive, are we limited to watching any channel we want on a single satellite, meaning my wife can watch Channel 225 in the living room while my stepson can watch channel 226 in the bedroom, as long as they are on the same satellite? Or do all TV's need to watch the exact same channel?

I have two receivers in our Navion and have not had a issue. However the satellite needs to have both channels unless you use a KVH with IP AutoSwitch. It's a option and I don't watch that much different then my wife so not needed in our case.

While driving and while parked, is whatever the limitation is the same? Is this limitation the same regardless of whether we use Dish or Directv?

Not sure

Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 09:41 PM   #6
Just Ama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post

We have DirecTV in our RV. We have used DirecTV in all of our RV's(on number 6 now) If you have two receivers, you can watch different programs in different areas of your RV, in motion or parked. Hope that helps answer one of your questions. We have HD sat at home, and Standard Def in the RV's. We cannot get our Smithsonian Channel in the RV, but like Mike Owens said... we're camping and we can watch what we DVR'd when we get back home. We have DVR receivers in the RV too. I DVR Fox and hubby DVR's Gunsmoke.. LOL!
AzLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 09:13 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

To make it a bit less of a trip, perhaps some plain old talk about the issue?
No high tech talk gets it easy to understand at times.
One is the antenna or dish. It takes in the whole signal that comes from the air, sends it to as many receivers as you connect, where they sort out which portion of that signal to use. Same as on FM radio as the full range of stations is there but we choose which we hear? HD or SD? Depends on how good the receiver and dish but somewhat like using a stereo receiver vs not. Most equipment will get the HD signal but it may or may not pass all the info through to the TV. Backward compatible is like cell phones which do 4G but will also do 3G if that is all there is in the area.
Now you can move on to the hard part!
Be aware that Dish may indicate they can do several things like voice remote, take you home programming with you, etc. and you find it may not work like they lead you to believe.
Dish voice remote only works IF you have full time wi-fi and that's pretty weird in RVs. Take your programming with you but you have to buy an added hard drive to record.
Just be aware that they are selling and make sure to get details of what it REALLY means.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 11:20 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
To make it a bit less of a trip, perhaps some plain old talk about the issue?
No high tech talk gets it easy to understand at times.
One is the antenna or dish. It takes in the whole signal that comes from the air, sends it to as many receivers as you connect, where they sort out which portion of that signal to use. Same as on FM radio as the full range of stations is there but we choose which we hear? HD or SD? Depends on how good the receiver and dish but somewhat like using a stereo receiver vs not. Most equipment will get the HD signal but it may or may not pass all the info through to the TV. Backward compatible is like cell phones which do 4G but will also do 3G if that is all there is in the area.
Now you can move on to the hard part!
Be aware that Dish may indicate they can do several things like voice remote, take you home programming with you, etc. and you find it may not work like they lead you to believe.
Dish voice remote only works IF you have full time wi-fi and that's pretty weird in RVs. Take your programming with you but you have to buy an added hard drive to record.
Just be aware that they are selling and make sure to get details of what it REALLY means.
Great info, thanks.

Tags
satellite