Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2006, 12:13 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

I have a problem with my Magellan 750Plus GPS. It quit working!

It has power to the control box and I pulled it out of the bracket. A small melted spot on the bottom. I shipped it off through the Winnie dealer in Roanoke. While still there the service guy called Magellan (I think) and talked for a few minutes. The service guy then told him to tell the customer that same thing and handed me the phone.

The guy on the other end told me that they didn't warranty the unit in motorhomes because they take too much of a beating. I asked him what good it was sitting on my desk; I know where I'm at then.

Winnie dealer shipped it off and was told it had sustained a power surge and any warranty would not be honored.

I just got home from two weeks in Charleston, SC Sunday and I called Village RV in Roseville, CA today, where I bought the Meridian new in August of '05.

They hooked me up with Winnie Owner Relations in Iowa. He's going to call the dealer in VA and walk him through the replacement process.

Right now I'm a happy camper. When I actually get the unit in hand I'll be a believing happy camper.

The Winnie Owner Relations guy, Joel, said since the unit was installed by them, Winnie would cover it. The motorhome is still under the original warranty. He couldn't believe it when I told him about it not being warrantied when in a motorhome.

I'll keep you posted regarding the actual box in hand.

Doug

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 12:13 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I have a problem with my Magellan 750Plus GPS. It quit working!

It has power to the control box and I pulled it out of the bracket. A small melted spot on the bottom. I shipped it off through the Winnie dealer in Roanoke. While still there the service guy called Magellan (I think) and talked for a few minutes. The service guy then told him to tell the customer that same thing and handed me the phone.

The guy on the other end told me that they didn't warranty the unit in motorhomes because they take too much of a beating. I asked him what good it was sitting on my desk; I know where I'm at then.

Winnie dealer shipped it off and was told it had sustained a power surge and any warranty would not be honored.

I just got home from two weeks in Charleston, SC Sunday and I called Village RV in Roseville, CA today, where I bought the Meridian new in August of '05.

They hooked me up with Winnie Owner Relations in Iowa. He's going to call the dealer in VA and walk him through the replacement process.

Right now I'm a happy camper. When I actually get the unit in hand I'll be a believing happy camper.

The Winnie Owner Relations guy, Joel, said since the unit was installed by them, Winnie would cover it. The motorhome is still under the original warranty. He couldn't believe it when I told him about it not being warrantied when in a motorhome.

I'll keep you posted regarding the actual box in hand.

Doug

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 01:12 PM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

Doug, glad that Winnebago Owner Relations was able to get it straight....they are some good folks out there in Iowa....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 03:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I have had so many problems try to get the Indians to understand/react that I will never buy another unit from Magellan. It's easier to just throw it away and buy another brand. But before I buy another, I will insure that they have Americans in their support branch
Old 01-19-2008, 04:40 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have a Magellan Roadmate portable unit, and I'm so disgusted with their lack of customer support and their total use of offshore "tech support" that can do little than read from a script, that I too will never buy another Magellan product.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 07:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way
Old 01-20-2008, 12:15 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Magellan is not a brand that many knowledgeable boaters recognize.
Yes, today we have a disposable society. Nothing is "fixed" anymore, just replaced. Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:02 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

A few years back I was dealing with a tech support person in Pakistan. I said to him "I'm so frustrated I think I'll commit suicide". He got all excited and asked me if I could drive a truck.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:40 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I have a Garmin on my 37 boat! That was after I bought my first Magellan. I learn fast.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:48 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DonavonP:
A few years back I was dealing with a tech support person in Pakistan. I said to him "I'm so frustrated I think I'll commit suicide". He got all excited and asked me if I could drive a truck. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Our first (and only as it turned out) marine GPS receiver was a Magellan. Those were the days when there wasn't 24 hour a day satellite coverage and every receiver had a utility program to tell you when there were no satellites in view. Still, it was better than Loran (for offshore cruisers like us) and even better than the old Transit Sat Nav where position was calculated based on the doppler effect of one satellite passing overhead. Satellite passes were infrequent, sometimes only happening every two or three hours. The receiver would track the bird for maybe 30 minutes and then take several more minutes to calculate a fix. Ah, the good old days...

Our Magellan receiver cost over $1,000 and it was worth every penny and it was a faithful performer. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Magellan, but it sounds like my warm feelings are totally unjustified now. Too bad.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:18 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

John

I too have the soft spot for Magellan. I have two of their units -- a RoadMate 700 and a RoadMate 760. Have both units for 3 - 4 years and both have the latest software. Guess I have been lucky as neither one has had problems (watch both of them quit tomorrow now). Guess I have been lucky as I have not had to talk to the "tech support area." I know I would go through the roof it I did -- have experienced it with Sony products -- just keep asking for the supervisor until you get someone who can understand English and not read from a script.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:34 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

believe me, it's no better talking to a supervisor. They lie too. I've spent a total of at least 6 hours with them trying to resolve the issue that I have.
And what is really neat, I wrote a letter to the Headshed in Santa Clara a week ago and still haven't heard from them. I'm beginning to think that no one in that organization cares.
The new unit that I have works great,I have no problem with that. My problem is with the whole organization.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:50 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I have the same unit and called about getting a software upgrade. I was told that the unit is no longer made and an upgrade is not available. I also wrote to the corp. office and never did get a reply.

2007 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Bigdog05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 05:11 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

I was offfered a trade-in, 40% off a new one. I thought it was a good deal but with all the problems with those guys, I would have been better off dumping it and buying a new unit from someone else.
The new one they sent failed after the first time I used it. I called, was told they would send a new unit. But wanted my credit card number and the defective unit returned in 14 days. to make a long story short,no info back on returning the unit, I told Santa Clara I canceled the credit card and they would not be getting the money unless I was contacted by an American.
Now I wonder if they have any Americans workng for them