Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-05-2009, 09:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Looking for 2 Audiovox GMRS100 radios

I am looking to replace two Audiovox Model GMRS100 two way radios (OE on my Journey). Anyone got any thoughts on how to find any replacements? I have the four radio version with charging unit mounted up near the driver on the lower dash wall. Is there a more current production version used today that can be installed in the same place? Or even newer radios that can be used with my existing wall charging unit?

Some low life's broke into our motor home in the storage lot this past weekend. Fortunately they appeared to be somewhat stupid. They only took a plastic bin with flashlights and a bunch of new batteries that I had bought just a couple of weeks ago, two of the four radios (left the other two on the floor) and my wife's Indy 500 martini glass. Is she ever pissed off about losing the martini glass!!! They did manage to go through most of the interior cabinets (other than those they could not get into with the slides in, and all batteries turned off), but we did not have anything other normal mundane stuff. They pulled out some minor items, a couple of rain coats, mattress pad, sheets, towels, etc. that they removed from the cabinets, but later just left them sitting in the coach. They evidently did not know that underneath the dinette booth was more storage, which was where our Jack Daniels is stored.

They tried to take the sound system combo VCR/DVD unit. They somehow managed to get the Velcro off of the VCR shelf itself, but then were unable to undo the satellite in and out cable connections because they were on too tight to undo by hand, so they left it dangling there. They were not interested in the old style TV's. Once I figured out which cable went where on the VCR/DVD, I was able to put it back in place and everything still works. All told, they broke into 5 RV's and evidently just trashed a fifth wheel pretty bad.

They got into my Journey by prying up the small window by the passenger door with what looked like a screw driver until one of the slide locks on the lower (moving) window failed. Upon taking it apart, I found it is only made of plastic, which when stressed, broke enough to allow the window to slide up, which they then reached inside and undid both door locks and walked in. My local Winnebago dealer has ordered a replacement slide latch for me. Fortunately they did not break the window or just smash open the passenger door window like the prior thief's did last fall. However, last fall they were only looking for flat screen TV's which we do not have.

Anyway, any help or suggestions on radio replacements would be appreciated.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:54 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Clayton, I recently removed my 2 way radio charging unit in order to install a subwoofer speaker in its place. You are welcome to the charger and 4 radios just pay freight. PM me if your interested and give me your name, address and I will send it this weekend.

Sammie (Steve)
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

And frankly the -100 series radios are junk (sorry). They have been replaced by the -200 series radios that are far superior in performance, and have Wx channel capabilities. eBay has them occasionally, and you can also call ASA electronics at the link below.

http://www.asaelectronics.com/detail.html?catid=&pid=29

Failing that I think I still have my -100 series radio in the garage also free.

Mod: What am I missing that one must now post a full http address rather than a descriptor word?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Sammie

I sent you a pm.

Thanks
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:31 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Clayton, I got your PM. I will try to get it in the mail tomorrow.

Sammie (Steve)
Old 05-06-2009, 05:15 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Sammie,

Which subwoofer did you use?

I was thinking of doing the same thing in my Journey.

Any pictures?
CRCjr1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:47 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRCjr1963 View Post
Sammie,

Which subwoofer did you use?

I was thinking of doing the same thing in my Journey.

Any pictures?

I built a wood box that fit an 8 inch Polk Audio Subwoofer then powered it with a Alpine PDX-4 x 100 Amplifier. It really improved the sound of the stock radio.

Sorry no pictures.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:48 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Clayton, the package is in the mail. They said 7 to 10 days.

Sammie
Old 05-08-2009, 09:35 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

First I'm obligated to warn you that GMRS radios are supposed to be licensed, operation on GMRS channels or at GMRS power on FRS channels without a license is a violation of federal law.. That said.. Don't worry about it, I will assume you have a license. (The odds of getting caught are very low)

Page 2: All of the FRS/GMRS radios are compatable on the radio side, My cobras (Which by the way are licensed) can talk to your Audiovox and to my non-cobra radios

The charger is the kicker

Considering the cost of replacement.... I'd not worry about it. finding an exact replacement may well cost more than replacing the system and the license applies to whatever radios you are currently using.

At least they did not get the important stuff (Mr. Daniel's contribution to your life)

Consider a "House computer" this is a small easily hidden (And well hidden) computer with a web cam.. The web cam is, like the computer, well hidden but has a a nice high resoultion view of the interior of the unit......

And it's motion senistive

So when someone comes in w/o authorizatoin... It starts filming, about 2 gigs of hard driver needed for each hour of filming.

Then you can give a copy to the police and post a segment to YouTube with the title
"IF you know these people call 1-555-555-1234" (or whatever the police phone number is) NOTE.. The number I posted is NOT valid