Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

King dome kd5500

I purchased a King Dome KD5500 that I plan on installing on my 2006 Adventure. Has anyone under taken this endeavor on a 2006 Adventure ? My concern is feeding the wire down and then back up the slide to the receiver. I also would like suggestions on attaching the Dome to the roof. Does the Dome need to be screwed into a rib / channel?
Thanx
Len
LKANER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

LKANER,
First off, let me ask, did you purchase this "Kind Dome" new? Or did you get it used? The reason I ask is, based on mine and many other folks here and RV.net, experiences with the "Kind Dome", no matter what model, they've got a fairly poor track record. The tech line has been of little help to many here. Yes, they say to do this and do that, but for most, the problems still exist. We've owned our coach now for about 16 months and we started using the King Dome about 8 months ago when we acquired a Direct TV receiver.

It was always slow in locating the satellites but, eventually found one. Sometimes it was faster and sometimes it was way slow, as in around 1/2 hour to 45 minutes of looking. But, recently it went DEAD! I could not wake it up. It searches and searches. And, many folks have complained about the same issues.

Many, as in most, have gone to the "Winegard Traveler" for the replacement. Just about every person on this and other RV sites raves about their Traveler. Most say it takes around 1-3 minutes to locate the bird.

So, this is all just info for you. If you still plan on using the King Dome, ours is mounted directly to the center of the roof. I cannot tell if it's into any cross beams or roof joists or ??? The wires run from the King Dome to a central point, a couple of feet forward of the KD and there, they dive into the coaches roof, covered by a large, around 8-10" black plastic cap. that's very close to the point where the front cap of the coach meets the main sheet roof. That way the cables can go right in, and are received inside the coach, someplace near the back of the front TV. That's about all I can tell you at this point. Good luck with the KD. Hope it works better than all of ours.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via ICQ to MaxTurner1
For what it's worth, I am using a King Dome with Dish Network, not that the provider matters. It works find. I usually have TV within five to ten minutes after we park. I've had to move the coach about three feet to make it around a tree, but had the sky been blanketed, I also carry a tripod and home dish. I have no problem with the time it takes to acquire signal and download the program guide. Since I go the King Dome, the first one had a problem. Their tech people walked me through several things and gave up. They sent me a new dome and it worked right out of the box.
It's fun to watch one work when the dome is off.
MaxTurner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Maxturner,
I agree, when they're working, they seem to be just fine. As stated on my earlier post, sometimes it was actually pretty fast in locating the bird. But, others, it took forever. We're now carrying a portable dish. It works every time, as long as "I" can find the bird for it. We'll see what we do when we get back home from this trip as to whether we pick up a new Winegard Traveler. But, to the OP, hope you get it mounted and it works well for you.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I would check with winnebago as you coach may be prewired.

I believe there is a procedure for setting the initial search elevation which will cut down the search time.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:06 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanx for the replies.. I'll be installing it next week and will post how I make out. Len
Old 08-01-2012, 08:26 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

There is a decal on the roof showing where the RG6 coax and a cable for an elevation sensor for a dish is stowed. You drill a large hole and the wires will be coiled under the roof
On mine the coax and cable ends up in the cavity behind the overhead cabinets in the cabin. You might want to call Winnebago and see where yours ends.
I have no idea if the wires can be used by your dome though.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Good Luck. I bought one on the internet new and installed it myself.I'm sure you will find your rig is prewired; but as I found out the hard (read expensive) way, the software on my new unit was 3 yrs old and to upgrade it cost $150 as I had installed it myself. Also if you read the fine print your warrenty isn't any good if you install it yourself. I wouldn't touch another one period.
bjsheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Leave ours on all the time when on the road. Helps when pulling into a site with trees. You can tell when to stop. Plus DW gets to watch TV going down the road.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanx to everyone for their input. YES, just as Clay L said, there was a decal on the roof and after drilling the recommended 1 1/4 inch hole! I found the pre wired cable and Installed the dome. Went pretty smooth and made sure everything was coated with the leveling caulk.
The wire was terminated in the cabinet above the TV right where the receiver is located. That made my day, I was concerned about running the wire.
Contacted Dish and was up and running in little time. Only problem was I could not see 129 - Dish said it was my location in NY? The wife was happy though as she could see the Olymics while we were at the Watkins Glen Race Track.