Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2016, 10:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

King Dome 9762-LP - obsolete; or reprogrammable?

Back in December 2015, a King rep posted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobile sat View Post
TRAC-KING

9760/9762/9762-LP
*S/N #370864 and higher may be re-programed from end user controller to track active QPSK transponder on satellites 110/119/129. Additional support for the Trac-King model antennas is no longer available.

For additional information, please contact KING’s customer service department at (952) 922-6889 extension 173.
So...
I have a Trac-King, serial 372939, manufactured 9/2011.
How do I obtain the steps on how to re-program to receive (possibly) the QPSK signal(s) for Dish reception?

This info seems inconsistent with the online King tech note. Not sure which is correct.

And, does the Trac-King still operate with DirecTV tuning?

Tom
tsut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:00 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsut View Post
Back in December 2015, a King rep posted:

So...
I have a Trac-King, serial 372939, manufactured 9/2011.
How do I obtain the steps on how to re-program to receive (possibly) the QPSK signal(s) for Dish reception?

This info seems inconsistent with the online King tech note. Not sure which is correct.

And, does the Trac-King still operate with DirecTV tuning?

Tom
have you actually looked at the remote read out settings module?
all the setting should be accessible through this system and you can
program right there in the MH
that's how my older 9762 worked but trouble was no longer supported by dish
mine still worked with SD Direct only but one can not live without HDTV
so I got a new Dishnet sat system
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Sorry but the KingDome no longer works with Dish, they made changes to the satellites and KingDome "claims" the units can't be programed for the satellite changes. The unit will "maybe" work with DirecTV in SD only. They are having more and more difficulty locking in on the DirecTV satellites. We finally got tired of the hassle and tossed it in a dumpster. We love our new Winegard Trav'lr. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:33 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I literally threw mine off the roof and replaced it with a Winegard Travler. Never been happier. The King Dome 9762 is an outdated POS. Save time and your sanity and just move on.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:23 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I agree with the two previous posts above. I went through the same thing you did, called King and got through to a nice tech who said the King Dome I had was junk. He said they were working on an updated firmware card (still months down the road from release), but it would probably cost more to upgrade than to buy a new one. In my case however, I could not justify the cost of the Traveler and ended up getting a Tailgater. So far it works great - except when its raining hard :-)
PackerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:45 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

At one time taking with King Dome tec I was told they would loan me a programming box for a $100 security fee, refundable upon return of the unit. Never took them up on the offer & use my dome on SD when I use it. Seems OK for me! I find I really only use the Dome once in a while since I switch to Direct TV & I can not walk my Direct receiver is not useable in the RV with the King Dome. I use a Dish receiver an pay as u go! But someday I may just remove the King Dome for a different one...just wish the cost would drop!
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:12 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We spent dollars, time, and stress with the old 2008 vintage King Dome. Finally had enough. Camping World put the Winegard Traveler on a winter sale. Excellent and no regrets. I only call Dish now to update our location for local channels.
Gary737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:15 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

king dome

Went through same thing as all the posts here. One tech on the site made me a great recommendation. He suggested a winegard G-2. You can get adapter so it will mount right in place of your present king dome. Two other reasons he suggested the G-2. Half cost of traveler and it will support both dish and direct. Mine works better than king dome ever did. Just my two cents worth

safe travels
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote