Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Angry King Dome

I can not understand why Winnibago would put something like that on our Motorhomes. For the past 15 minutes I have listened to that thing grind. No picture, no Nothing. I'm disgusted!!!! I called their customer service and the individual sugested that I clean the dome with Rainex. B/S! For the cost of that thing it should work.
I had a Wingard on my last rig. Push a button, wait a bit and there is a great picture. Something is wrong with this concept!!!!!
Can anyone enlighten me????
Old 04-25-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Lots can be wrong. I've had better luck with King Controls than Winegard.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

My King Dome in-motion unit has worked OK for 5 years. Have you set the the location area info into your controller?

I do not know about the King Dome, but many computer controlled electronics on RVs can be "Rebooted" by disconnecting the power for 10 minutes.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:09 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

One of my happiest days with our previous coach was the day I pushed the Kingdome off the roof and installed the Winegard Trav'ler.

The coach we just got has a TracVision dome and while it works as advertised, it does not provide HD with Direct and last evening in a steady rain we lost all signal. So, the first project when we get back home with this coach is to jettison the TracVision and install a Trav'ler.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:43 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Just one thought. If you are using Direct they are notorious about turing off your receiver if you have not used it in a few weeks. I think the cut off is during the first 10 days of the month.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:20 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I.ve used my Kingdome over 3 years with no issues using Bell, Direct, and now Dish. I have never made a special trip onto the roof to clean the cover.
My guess is something is incorrect with the programming and a call to their support would quickly solve your issue.

Heres the setup manual
http://www.kingcontrols.com/userfile...2012-14-09.pdf

Heres their support #
800- 982-9920

Leave a message and they will call you back quickly.
Five2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I finally got it working last nite.Today we moved 340 miles and no TV. After trying for an hour, I gave up.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:04 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

If you pull the cover on any of the 'dome' type dishes you'll find the actual antenna/dish to be extremely small.. overall surface smaller than a dinner plate. It doesn't take much of an obstruction to cause signal loss. I'm with smlranger, unless you need in-motion satellite, Trav'ler wins, hands down - even through moderate tree and cloud obstructions.

Meanwhile, a dealer can plug into your dish and ensure it's calibrated properly.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:47 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finhawk View Post
I finally got it working last nite.Today we moved 340 miles and no TV. After trying for an hour, I gave up.
Do you have a computer and can you get online? If so, go to your account and try to re-set your recievers. This works for me when there is a problem with my direct tv. Or the other option is to call them and see what the problem is and if your system is active. Good luck
Old 04-27-2013, 05:02 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

The original poster is complaining about the dish "hunting" for satellites. This has nothing to do with whether or not the DirecTV receiver is authorized.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:18 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
One of my happiest days with our previous coach was the day I pushed the Kingdome off the roof and installed the Winegard Trav'ler.

The coach we just got has a TracVision dome and while it works as advertised, it does not provide HD with Direct and last evening in a steady rain we lost all signal. So, the first project when we get back home with this coach is to jettison the TracVision and install a Trav'ler.
Ditto my friend! We'll never have another dome antenna!!
Old 04-27-2013, 06:21 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

I believe there is a procedure to set the initial elevation search position.

Double check the coax going from the receiver to the wall plate. Mine came loose one time and drove me crazy, I kept checking connections at receiver, which were fine.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
The original poster is complaining about the dish "hunting" for satellites. This has nothing to do with whether or not the DirecTV receiver is authorized.
Beg to differ, Mine was also hunting and going around and around and I got online and reset my reciever and volala , it came on. If your reciever is not able to communicate with the dish.........No TV
One more thought, if your reciever is put to sleep by direct tv over the winter what happens if you try to turn your dish on........nothing.
When I called not to long ago to have them turn on my 2 recievers the living room came right in(dome on) but the one in the bedroom did not come up and display tv, so online I went and reset the reciever and it started working. I also tryed just to unplug it for a bit but that did not work.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Just to clarify things, mine finally worked -----after messing with it-----Thursday nite. Friday we moved 250 miles and no service. Resetting the receiver does not work. I tried to set it up using the King instructions today at least 6 times. Still doesn't work!!!! Possibly a 12lb sledge would be in order
Old 04-27-2013, 05:22 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Is dish set to lock on SAT 101?
Is the dish searching the right reception zone?
Have a KD. Been working well now 5 years.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvten View Post
Is dish set to lock on SAT 101?
Is the dish searching the right reception zone?
Have a KD. Been working well now 5 years.
Sure is!
Old 04-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

How did you get it to work then? You did not post the cure.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:57 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
How did you get it to work then? You did not post the cure.
I don't know what I did Thursday nite other than reset the receiver. But that didn't work Friday nite.. Still no Direct TV.
I figured that since it did work before that all I had to do was push the start button-----Boy was I wrong!
Old 04-29-2013, 08:07 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Finhawk,
I feel your pain, several times over. I too have been very close to getting out the 12GA and make a few zillion pieces out of it. Yes some have had good luck and say, Ours is fine, why not yours??? Well, that's just the way technology is. It amazes me that those KDs get very picky once in a while. Since you said it worked on one day, but not the next, then, OBVIOUSLY the receiver is NOT TURNED OFF!
But, I've got a possible suggestion for you. Here's what was suggested to me and I've used it ever since. Turn on the TV. Make sure that the TV and the receiver have had contact with each other for at least about 15 minutes or more before you try this suggestion. By that I mean the receiver has had power and is hooked to the TV.

Then with TV on:
1. Direct TV icon should be floating around screen
2. Select "Menu"
3. Drop down selection on left side, select "Parental/favorites/setup"
3. Drop down selection, select "setup"
4. Drop down selection, select " Satellite"
5. In next screen, on right side select "Signal strength"
6. In next screen, on right side is, "signal meter" and "done", select Signal meter"
7. On that screen will be a graph and, if your sound is up on the TV, you'll hear "Beeps". The beeps will be long distance apart and the graph will be black.

Now, push the search button on your King Dome control. Your K/D will start to search. At this point in time, if, and it's a large "IF", your K/D is working anywhere near correct, it may take only a minute or, it may take a few times to start to find the correct bird that is uses for your particular setup. It may hone in on a bird but, the graph will not show it and, the beeps will remain the same frequency and timing.

But, if it does what I think it should do, which is what ours does, (no guaranty here) here's what will happen if, things go as planned. If the K/D starts to find the correct bird, the graph will start to show green from the left side. And, the closer it is to the highest signal strength, the graph will travel more and more to the right and, the beeps will become a lot closer together.

If you are presented with that picture, then, have your finger on the "off" button of the King Dome control. I usually time it to where it reaches around 80-85% signal strength. At that point, hit the off button so the KD stops searching. You will NOT LOOSE THE SIGNAL. You're only stopping the search.

Now,
If this has all happened as it should, push the "back" button on your remote 'till you go all the way back to the main screen. Then, push guide. At this point in time, you will not receive any channels 'cause you just linked the bird with the KD. The KD now has to correlate the signals and then, send them to the TV. It might take about a minute to two or three, but no longer. If, it does like it's supposed to, during the screen with the guide, which is almost blank right now, it will have a small screen at the top right and it will be black. But, as soon as the receiver is ready, you'll see a channel being displayed in that little screen.

Now, all this is just an experiment Sir. We've both done it so many times that it's now child's play to do all that I've just explained to you. It works just about every time, even way out in the desert, as long as you've got A/C power to all the components. Please try this system as it won't take you very long and, it will eliminate part of a possibly defective part of the KD but, you'll still be able to use it. Just a suggestion Pal.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:23 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

I am using Dish 301 & King dome. 5 years no real issues. However it will do the search grind if it can not "see" the sky well enough to lock on to a Satellite. Trees or other blockages in the sky view for the King dome. Then, if the receiver goes "off" or is turned off it will go on a night "looking" between different Satellites. Leave it on all the time and it does not do the "looking" thing. Just ordered a new Dish 211k HD receiver and will be setting this up soon.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote