Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2007, 05:23 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

We just finished our first longer trip in our 2004 Adventurer 37B (new to us). We dry camped in the desert of So Cal. I have a few questions that I have already done searches on and need some more info on.

1. How do you play a DVD on the back TV. I switched the controller and the TV settings to everything I could and could not get it to work.

2. My Norcold refrigerator wen to a "no co" condition just before the trip and wouldn't re-set. I found that my house batteries were bad and the voltage was very weak, so I assumed that was the cause. I was on LP at the time. I replaced the batteries (the old wouldn't hold a charge) but can't get the Norcold 4 door to re-set. Sorry, I don't have the model handy.. it's a 4 door with ice maker. I see about shorting either pin #11 or pin #15, but I need just a little more help on which pin I am looking for.

3. My water pressure with the pump is pretty pathetic. I had only used the coach on city water and didn't have any issues. Found that I had left the selector switch on tank fill and corrected that, but it is still weak. The pump cycles a lot and I assume it sees a pressure build up to shut off, then start again. The pressure is weak all through the coach. Should I purchase a better pump?

4. My gray water drained fast at first, then it began to trickle. I am guessing that there is the famous "plug" left in the tank during installation? If that is true, is there a fishing expedition in my future? Is there a way to remove the hard plastic drain plumbing in order to get a hand in there?

5. We have the electric front Rest Easy dual recliner. My daughter (who is thin) complained that the unit hurt her hips, from being to hard, while sleeping, Does anyone have any tips to soften this up? Is getting a correctly sized piece of foam the solution? OR should I just fatten her up?

Thanks in advance for any help. I know that some of your answers will probably generate more questions on my part so pardon my ignorance!

Joe
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 05:23 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We just finished our first longer trip in our 2004 Adventurer 37B (new to us). We dry camped in the desert of So Cal. I have a few questions that I have already done searches on and need some more info on.

1. How do you play a DVD on the back TV. I switched the controller and the TV settings to everything I could and could not get it to work.

2. My Norcold refrigerator wen to a "no co" condition just before the trip and wouldn't re-set. I found that my house batteries were bad and the voltage was very weak, so I assumed that was the cause. I was on LP at the time. I replaced the batteries (the old wouldn't hold a charge) but can't get the Norcold 4 door to re-set. Sorry, I don't have the model handy.. it's a 4 door with ice maker. I see about shorting either pin #11 or pin #15, but I need just a little more help on which pin I am looking for.

3. My water pressure with the pump is pretty pathetic. I had only used the coach on city water and didn't have any issues. Found that I had left the selector switch on tank fill and corrected that, but it is still weak. The pump cycles a lot and I assume it sees a pressure build up to shut off, then start again. The pressure is weak all through the coach. Should I purchase a better pump?

4. My gray water drained fast at first, then it began to trickle. I am guessing that there is the famous "plug" left in the tank during installation? If that is true, is there a fishing expedition in my future? Is there a way to remove the hard plastic drain plumbing in order to get a hand in there?

5. We have the electric front Rest Easy dual recliner. My daughter (who is thin) complained that the unit hurt her hips, from being to hard, while sleeping, Does anyone have any tips to soften this up? Is getting a correctly sized piece of foam the solution? OR should I just fatten her up?

Thanks in advance for any help. I know that some of your answers will probably generate more questions on my part so pardon my ignorance!

Joe
Old 12-31-2007, 08:28 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Joe, since mine is also an '04 we probably have the same DVD, pump, etc. so I'll take a shot at a few of the questions...

1. Shouldn't have to do anything but select DVD/VCR for the rear tv on the video selector box, and tune the rear tv to channel 3 or 4 depending on what channel the DVD is outputting on. Also make sure the tv is set for antenna input, not cable. If that doesn't do it, you may have to check the back of the DVD and selector box for former owner "customization".

2. No help...maybe one of our techs will help with this.

3. Check the input strainer at the pump. It hasn't happened to me, but I understand it's not uncommon for this to plug up with debris.

4. Are you absolutely sure the gray tank didn't empty. Don't rely on the gauges - mine often shows 2/3 full even after I empty it. Try adding more water to the gray tank and see if you get a good flow again when you open the valve. If so, I'm betting the tank is empty. We can hope anyway!

5. Sorry, since there's only 2 of us, we've never slept on the Rest Easy. Sure seems like a piece of foam would work.

Good luck -
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 10:24 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Joe, if you use the "Search" function at the top of this page, and type in "no co reset" you will all kinds of information on the reset procedures.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:32 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tomsm:
Joe, since mine is also an '04 we probably have the same DVD, pump, etc. so I'll take a shot at a few of the questions...

1. Shouldn't have to do anything but select DVD/VCR for the rear tv on the video selector box, and tune the rear tv to channel 3 or 4 depending on what channel the DVD is outputting on. Also make sure the tv is set for antenna input, not cable. If that doesn't do it, you may have to check the back of the DVD and selector box for former owner "customization".

2. No help...maybe one of our techs will help with this.

3. Check the input strainer at the pump. It hasn't happened to me, but I understand it's not uncommon for this to plug up with debris.

4. Are you absolutely sure the gray tank didn't empty. Don't rely on the gauges - mine often shows 2/3 full even after I empty it. Try adding more water to the gray tank and see if you get a good flow again when you open the valve. If so, I'm betting the tank is empty. We can hope anyway!

5. Sorry, since there's only 2 of us, we've never slept on the Rest Easy. Sure seems like a piece of foam would work.

Good luck - </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey thanks tomsm. I confess that I did all of your DVD suggestions except the channel 3 part!

I'll check that strainer asap. I am guessing that is the small plastic item at one end of the pump?

I will take notice of the gray tank issue the next time I get a chance to fill it up. Thanks for that.

Joe
Old 12-31-2007, 11:35 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fred and Bonnie:
Joe, if you use the "Search" function at the top of this page, and type in "no co reset" you will all kinds of information on the reset procedures.

Fred </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks for the suggestion, Fred, but as I stated in my opener, I did do the search. That is actually what has me confused as the reading I did was stating 2 different pins to short. I just need to know which one for my unit and if they are clearly marked or not. I have to make a trip to the MH to retrieve the inevitable items left there that I need. I will get the model number then.
Joe
Old 12-31-2007, 12:27 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Joe, yes, you're right about the strainer. I've never had to take mine apart, but I imagine it's obvious how to open it up. Hopefully, you can inspect it without opening it - I'm guessing it will make a bit of a mess if you have to open it.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 01:30 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We have found that the best way to handle the couch problem is a piece of foam cut to the size of the couch. It is sort of a pain to stow but we only carry it when we have visitors. An alternative would be to try a mattress pad such as used on a standard bed. Also, when we have only three people on board we do not use the extension part of the couch.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 02:00 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JWatkins:
--snip--
2. My Norcold refrigerator wen to a "no co" condition just before the trip and wouldn't re-set. I found that my house batteries were bad and the voltage was very weak, so I assumed that was the cause. I was on LP at the time. I replaced the batteries (the old wouldn't hold a charge) but can't get the Norcold 4 door to re-set. Sorry, I don't have the model handy.. it's a 4 door with ice maker. I see about shorting either pin #11 or pin #15, but I need just a little more help on which pin I am looking for.--snip-- Joe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It's fun sorting out a new or new-to-you coach isn't it!

Bryant RV has the actual technician service manuals for all popular RV fridges. You should download, print, and squirrel away yours. Maybe the info you need will be in the manual.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 02:08 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

John,
This is unrelated to this thread, but saw that you were currently on line so here is my question.
Where is your exterior Coax TV connection. Where you connect the cable from the RV park box?
Thanks
NCTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 02:53 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield:
It's fun sorting out a new or new-to-you coach isn't it!

Bryant RV has the actual technician service manuals for all popular RV fridges. You should download, print, and squirrel away yours. Maybe the info you need will be in the manual. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks for the link, John. I saw that link in another discussion, but when I went there it didn't take me to where yours did. I down loaded and printed the manual. I will give mine a go as soon as I finish reading it.

Sorting out used to drive me insane, but as I have gracefully aged, it then has become a challenge and I refuse to let this stuff eat at me any more. I just take it in stride and move on. We just packed up the ice chests and went ahead with the trip.

Joe
Old 12-31-2007, 02:57 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Navy Flier:
We have found that the best way to handle the couch problem is a piece of foam cut to the size of the couch. It is sort of a pain to stow but we only carry it when we have visitors. An alternative would be to try a mattress pad such as used on a standard bed. Also, when we have only three people on board we do not use the extension part of the couch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, Navy Flier, the storage issue hit me too. I guess I can roll it up, tie it and store it under my bed. Since the couch fully deployed is only 75" long, I think a regular mattress pad would be too long? We have a blow-up mattress that might serve, but it is longer than the unit as well. We will be trying to solve this and let everybody know what we decide on.
Joe
Old 12-31-2007, 04:48 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Regarding the Lounger/Bed: I read on this forum where someone bought one of those portable air mattresses you buy at Bed Bath and Beyond and placed it on the folded out Lounge. I slept on one of these placed at my son's place and it was very comfortable. It has a builtin pump so it is easy to inflate using 110v and is fast. She can adjust it for her own comfort level also.
Frank O.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:01 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NCTom:
John,
This is unrelated to this thread, but saw that you were currently on line so here is my question.
Where is your exterior Coax TV connection. Where you connect the cable from the RV park box?
Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Tom - ours is in the electrical bay.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 06:31 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Joe,

You might want to investigate the check valves on the back of the water heater. The check valves were used to replace a bypass valve for winterizing and are a known problem. Instead of being a one-way check vavle, they tend to leak as they get older, causing low water pressure.

As I understand it, they are on the back of the water heater and depending on the model, you may have to remove the water heater to gain access to them. Once you get to them, they should be replaced with an all brass check valve.

Hopefully, this helps with your low water pressure problem.

Best Regards!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 07:59 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Old Snipe:
Joe,

You might want to investigate the check valves on the back of the water heater. The check valves were used to replace a bypass valve for winterizing and are a known problem. Instead of being a one-way check vavle, they tend to leak as they get older, causing low water pressure.

As I understand it, they are on the back of the water heater and depending on the model, you may have to remove the water heater to gain access to them. Once you get to them, they should be replaced with an all brass check valve.

Hopefully, this helps with your low water pressure problem.

Best Regards! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks, Old Snipe, I will keep that one for the "if nothing else works" column!
Joe
Old 12-31-2007, 08:01 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrankO:
Regarding the Lounger/Bed: I read on this forum where someone bought one of those portable air mattresses you buy at Bed Bath and Beyond and placed it on the folded out Lounge. I slept on one of these placed at my son's place and it was very comfortable. It has a builtin pump so it is easy to inflate using 110v and is fast. She can adjust it for her own comfort level also.
Frank O. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks, FrankO, I was hoping that might be the ticket. Those seem to fold up pretty small and are very quickly inflated and deflated. We have an older Coleman version from tent camping that we will try. If it works, we may get one from Bed Bath and Beyond.
Joe
Old 01-01-2008, 05:25 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I don't know if I would make your decision based on using the Coleman mattress vs the BBB mattress. I used to use the Coleman type and it does not hold a candle to the new mattresses. The baffel(sp?) design seems much different so there is no tendency to roll around as one moves during the night. I do think that is also a matter of how much air you put in it however.
Good Luck -- Frank O.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:02 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

I can't help with all of your questions but will try a few as I have an 04 Asdventurer.
1 The water pump filter- First make sure there is no water in the tank and city water is not connected. Then it is easy to get to and the top turns about 90 degrees which will open the top and you will then be able to get to the filter to clean it. Make sure when you put it back together that it is tight or leak city.
2 As far as the fridge I would be leary of shorting anything as your wiring maybe different than everyone else. two things I might try would be 1) disconnect house battery Positive terminal and then reconnect or 2) unplug fridge from AC and while pluged in replug it in. The next thing I would do is get in touch with Norcold at www.norcold.com or get in touch with Winnebago customer service at 1-800-537-1885
3- AS for grey holding tank, I would try what someone else said put some water into it through the shower or kitchen sink and see if it comes out. I can't see a plug stopping the water. When I open mine it comes out fast and then trickles too so there may be nothing wrong.

Good luck and I hope this helps.
Tom
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:09 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrankO:
I don't know if I would make your decision based on using the Coleman mattress vs the BBB mattress. I used to use the Coleman type and it does not hold a candle to the new mattresses. The baffel(sp?) design seems much different so there is no tendency to roll around as one moves during the night. I do think that is also a matter of how much air you put in it however.
Good Luck -- Frank O. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's a very good point FrankO. I have never even seen a "regular" house air mattress in action. I think Sherri and I will visit the BB&B and see what they have to offer. Thanks again!
Joe