Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-14-2018, 08:06 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

iTunes

Help needed from people who understand computers please !

PROBLEM: I have tons of music on my ancient Windows XP lap top that are saved in iTunes. I want to get the music off this ancient lap top onto my Windows 7 super fast desk top computer, but have no idea how to. I have a terabite drive to save it all to, but dont know where to start. I also want to place some tracks onto flash cards or thumb drives after moving all the music.

Can anyone give me a step by step process for a layman ??
Tyreabusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:40 PM   #2
Site Team

I’d suggest you try various iTunes forums and training sites rather than a Winnebago RV website. Google search is your friend..
Old 09-14-2018, 04:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Sir this is a “tech area “ and my problem is associated with tech. If u dont have an answer please dont reply to my post. Your sarcasm
Is not appreciated as this was a relevant question aimed at high minded people who may have had this problem.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:23 PM   #4
Site Team

Sorry if I offended you. I was honestly trying to help.

Keep in mind this is a Winnebago Tech area. Not an iTunes tech area. Which is the only reason I made my very relevant suggestion. I did not post to upset you.

Best of luck.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:11 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I’ve done this before, it’s not fun. It’s a multi beer project.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204318
Blastvalve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:57 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Hey blastvalve, thanks for the site. Saved it, as I have the same issue migrating itunes to Windows 10.

Bear with us tyreabusa, we really are a friendly group here. It is just that email type format is a terrible communication device. As I used to tell my people, (when I had people) no matter how many smiley faces you put on the end of the sentence, if the reader is mad by the time they get there, the smiley faces are going to be wasted.

So, blastvalve, it is a multi-beer project. I'll get my beer and get started. I'm widely known as a three beer man -- generally drink one, spill one, and give one away.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:18 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Anytime. When I did it at the time I remember it seeming a lot harder then it should be, but I know the idea is to prevent someone from installing their libraries onto multiple PC’s, aka ones they didn’t own.

One service that works well and is a LOT faster is to use the iTunes Match service. I believe it costs $25 a year. It will upload you whole library to the cloud and then you can pull it back down to a new PC.

Not free, but in retrospect it was a LOT cheaper then the 19 or so DVD Roms I needed to move it over.

Good luck!!!!
Blastvalve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:18 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I started to post the other day and then figured my steps to export your music might be lost on understanding it. Just because I think it's easy does not mean everyone will. Everyone is different in their ability to convey information and to process it. I suggest https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204318

Also watch the videos online. With the beverage's of your choice.
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:16 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Blastvalve, thats exactly what I was looking for.......thank you very much, although, going through the instructions has brought on a migraine !!! Stiil unsure that I can complete the task !
Old 09-23-2018, 05:07 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

If you haven't already got this resolved then this might help.
This information is based on my best recollection of Windows 7. In addition to your music being accessible in iTunes, it should be stored in a folder called My Music or just Music. This should be available in your My Documents file. Put your thumb(USB) drive in an available USB port. You should get a pop-up menu to ask you what you want to do with it. Open it up to view the contents of the thumb drive. Leave this open and go back to your My Documents/My Music folder. You should see all your music files. Select all the files by pushing your Control (Ctrl) key and then the letter A. All the music will then be highlighted. Right click your mouse and select Copy from the menu. Go back to your USB drive and right click on it. Choose Paste and hit Enter. If your USB drive is big enough, that should copy all your files to it.

Once this is done, place the USB drive into the USB port of your destination computer and reverse the above process.
I hope this is of some help.
Trophyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:48 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Thumbs up

Trophyman is absolutely right. I just did the same thing in order to create a playlist on my flash drive (rather than copy it to another computer). Once I loaded the flash drive with the songs I wanted in the order I wanted them played, I put the flash drive in the USB port in my RV radio and played it like an MP3 player.
John Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:01 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

I’m not a big fan of paying to store my data in the ‘cloud’, mostly because I’m getting sick of this up and coming lease everything, own nothing society.

Having said that, the various location descriptions above are pretty accurate. I have well over 12,000 Mp3 files (songs) on a Raided drive, so moving them all over is literally plugging it in, getting into iTunes and pointing the program to the external drive, or even a USB thumb drive.

The biggest thing with iTunes is once you’re committed, iTunes breaks up you’re otherwise pristine files and organizes them the way Apple sees fit. Not an issue if you stay in Appleland tho.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote