Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2015, 07:13 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

IR TV and Blu-Ray

I have been all through the books and I can't figure out the IR system. For example the remote for the blu-ray only works when you have a direct line of sight with the player. I should be able to turn on and off the player wherever there is a IR sensor. What are we doing wrong.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:43 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Sounds like the IR blaster that normally sits over the IR port on your blu-ray player either fell off or was never installed. They are easy to knock off.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Make sure that the remote eye for the dvd player is attached over the players eye. Mine was installed in the wrong place.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:57 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

As others mentioned, IR sensor is not in front of your DVD player. Inside your cabinet you should find around 3-4 of these little devices that you can put in front of the DVD player IR sensor as well as any other component you add later. I am not sure if these sensors have to be paired with the HDMI cable for that source or if you can mix and match. You will also find these sensors in your outside TV compartment and under the right side of the table . In the bedroom it is part of the Matrix switch. If the remote sensors are obstructed your remote won't work either. Idea is you can close the cabinet and use the remote sensors to operate devices.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

What do these things look like?
Old 08-04-2015, 05:04 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46490 View Post
What do these things look like?
I'd like to know too, because this is what I've got behind the cabinet above the dash, passenger's side:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150721_190814.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	259.9 KB
ID:	102085  
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:35 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

46490, this is what it looks like and it must be paired with the HDMI cable coming from the Matrix 4X4 switch that connects to the blu-ray unit.
aauummm your coach does not have the Matrix 4X4 system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IR transmitter.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	102090  
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:44 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
46490, this is what it looks like and it must be paired with the HDMI cable coming from the Matrix 4X4 switch that connects to the blu-ray unit.
aauummm your coach does not have the Matrix 4X4 system.
Thanks for the reply, grt. It doesn't have the Matrix 4x4 but there is an IR button right above the TV (in a valance) that has a wire going out of it and into the slideout wall. I've got all of the wiring diagrams but can't figure out how the wire from the IR button gets hooked up to a receiver (say Dish). I'm not even sure what wire up in the cabinet goes back to the IR button (there's a lot of them) let alone what to hook it up to. I have to leave the cabinet door open and point the remote at the receiver to change channels. Oh well, I've gotten by for 4 1/2 years.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:37 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Look for a small rectangular component mounted either to the cabinet floor or sidewall. Called a Modular-Interface IR in your coach tv/dvd schematic, pg 3. It may be labeled as an AVI-20 Connecting block.

It has 12v input, connector for remote IR eye, and 4 outputs used for component IR eyes.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:48 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinCampers View Post
Look for a small rectangular component mounted either to the cabinet floor or sidewall. Called a Modular-Interface IR in your coach tv/dvd schematic, pg 3. It may be labeled as an AVI-20 Connecting block.

It has 12v input, connector for remote IR eye, and 4 outputs used for component IR eyes.
OK, thanks for the reply. I saw the AVI-20 on the schematic but couldn't find it in the area where all of the wires are jumbled together. I will dig into it again and find that thing. If it's missing, I'll buy one somehow.

It just bugs me that the IR receiver button is sitting right there above the TV and I can't use it! Thanks again-I'll jump on it.

PS-I copied and saved your post for future reference.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:01 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

aauummm, also check and make sure the IR interface module is connected to 12VDC.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:18 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
aauummm, also check and make sure the IR interface module is connected to 12VDC.
OK-will do! Thanks for the help!
Old 08-06-2015, 10:13 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

OK I'll bite. What is the supposed advantage of having an IR remote? We have a number of them in the entertainment center cabinet and on the bedroom and outdoor TV's. For the last 2+ years they've been pushed to the back of the cabinets due to lack of interest in using them.

Our DIRECTV remote seems to be able to power all the components (TV DVD/surround sound system, satellite receiver, etc., etc.) without needing the sensors. What am I missing?
Old 08-06-2015, 10:45 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Hikerdogs We only have one in our coach at the bedroom TV as we do not have the external TV and our DVD and Sat receiver are right under the TV. What it allow us to do is control the DVD/Blu-Ray from the bedroom using the DVD/Blu-Ray remote. If we had the external TV we could do the same there. We could also control the Dish receiver from the bedroom with the Dish remote.
On some coaches the TV is on one wall and the DVD and Sat receiver are behind cabinet doors on another wall. The remote sensor allows the owner to control those devices without opening the cabinet doors.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:05 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Hikerdogs We only have one in our coach at the bedroom TV as we do not have the external TV and our DVD and Sat receiver are right under the TV. What it allow us to do is control the DVD/Blu-Ray from the bedroom using the DVD/Blu-Ray remote. If we had the external TV we could do the same there. We could also control the Dish receiver from the bedroom with the Dish remote.
On some coaches the TV is on one wall and the DVD and Sat receiver are behind cabinet doors on another wall. The remote sensor allows the owner to control those devices without opening the cabinet doors.
Very well said, grt. Our Sunova 33C is one of those coaches that has the TV on the wall and the Dish receiver in the front overhead cabinet. I'm going out to the RV now to hunt for my AVI-20 again!