Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-28-2019, 11:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

In Dash GPS for Mini 26A

I want a in the Dash GPS for my 2018 26A. I want a good one. I bought a external GPS and hate it.... too hard to hear, no good place to mount it. The road/wind noise in the 26A can be a bit loud. The Ford E450 now has a Pioneer 2800 with back camera in it. If you have made the change or maybe you rig came with one installed, please talk to me about it.
tnx, Snakebite
Snakebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 05:09 AM   #2
Just Trying to Help

Snakebite-

By the picture in the brochure for your coach, you could mount a GPS using RAM Mount components to the panel that holds the BATT BOOST switch. You can feed it 12V through the panel. Depending on the GPS you have, you may be able feed an audio output from it to the radio, to get the higher audio volume.

I did something like this for our current coach, and it works very well. I have also used the RAM Mount "cup-holder" for a less-permanent mounting solution in out former Class C. Putting the GPS in that position is off the line-of-sight through the windshield, but it had the advantage of being accessible by both the driver and navigator.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 05:56 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

In-Dash navigation

Kenwood makes an in-dash GPS that uses a Garmin Navigation software. The model is the DNX571TR - It's a truckers nav system but is used in other RV brands.
The only draw back about this unit, the maps are not free.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DNX...caAiyIEALw_wcB
ldcross11475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Before you purchase an in dash unit, ask about the cost and frequency of map updates. It might change your mind. I use a 7" Garmin - free map updates - mounted on the dash and it is solid and easily visible. Garmin make an adhesive backed dash mount that the ring on the standard mount slips into and the unit can be swiveled and turned easily.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:10 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Took a look at the Kenwood DNX695S today at one of the shops... It looks pretty good and seems to do everything that I want. I may just have them pop one in next week.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:51 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

X2 on buying a 7" screen GPS and a sandbag mount to sit on the dash to hold it. Then use some male/female velcro on the bottom of the sandbag and the top of the dash to keep the sandbag from moving around when driving on a bad road and during turns / hard braking.

Personally I bought a new under $ 200 7" Rand McNally RV GPS from Camping World online that has height / weight inputs so it will not route you under a low clearance overpass or over a low weight limit bridge or on length restricted roads. It also has a good database of travel centers, campgrounds, Walmarts, attractions, etc. I think the under $ 200 one is only available on line and not in stores.

However Garmin RV GPS is the best if you have the well over $ 300 that one costs.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:30 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Yeah, I bought one of those, Rand McNally RVN7 with lifetime RV maps new 2 weeks ago. It's all special made just for RVs, yata, yata, yata… it's their latest model. The first $100 plus shipping will buy it. It works just like it is suppose to work.... but, I can't hear it! It has a output so that you can plug it into your Radio for Big Sound, but my radio does NOT have such a input. If I'm going to have to replace the radio in the Minni, I just as well put in a unit that has everything. One guy said to just use my portable Bose speaker... that's just what I need, another piece of equipment sitting on the dash with the tire monitor the satellite radio, the radar unit, and the Big Foam Dice hanging from the mirror. I should have listened to my wife the first time when she said to just have a nice unit installed.... but I wanted to save money...… Duh.... I hate it when she is right.

Tags
dash, gps