Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2021, 01:01 AM   #1
New Winnebago owner

How to troubleshoot Jensen entertainment unit in rear of cabin

I've recently purchased a 2010 Winn Era 170X. It has a pretty impressive (for its age) Jensen console in the back section, with various speaker sets A, B, and C. Unfortunately, I can only get it to play to speaker set A (the forward-most pair). No response at all from B and C.

Thing is, all the speakers do work, when I play from the dashboard radio. (They're not very good speakers, but that's another matter.) So I know the speakers work.

I'm wondering how to troubleshoot the feed from the cabin console. My first thought is to check the connections. But I cannot see how to pull out any of the components. (Or even the switch that flips between Radio and TV, which really means Dash Radio and Cabin Console.) Everything is mounted on a wood panel, with no obvious way to remove them, or get behind them to check wires. Can anyone offer a suggestion on how to do this?

Possibly those channels are just dead in the unit, but I'd like to rule out other possibilities before I give up on it.

Thanks.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 05:20 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

If it was my Era I would either take it to an automotive stereo installation shop or upgrade it and have the shop install the new unit. I have found pricing for installation work to be very reasonable. I have also found that I got the best information about businesses such as this by reading the Yelp reviews.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 06:03 PM   #3
New Winnebago owner

I had about come to that conclusion myself. (Although I don't trust Yelp reviews, because they're prone to being gamed. But still...) Plenty of auto stereo places around here.
Old 05-30-2021, 11:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I 100% concur with the stereo upgrade. I just purchased 2015 70C , love it but the stereo is pretty bad. I have yet to be able to bring up the sound for the TV even once. DVD sound sometimes, and unable to connect to blue tooth. Not to mention the substandard sound from speakers. Wondering if anyone has upgraded to new system and which system they purchased. Everything I read so far on Jensen unfortunately mostly not positive as well
Vegasmailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 12:58 AM   #5
New Winnebago owner

I too would be interested if someone has a recommendation for a system that will necessarily involve more speakers than a standard auto stereo. (One that wouldn't break the bank.)
Old 06-01-2021, 08:51 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

My Jensen unit failed pretty gradually. First it lost bluetooth from its input rotation, then lost two amp channels, then the other two channels also died. I was quick to throw that lump in the trash!

Replaced it with a JVC head unit and added a 12-15V (10A->12.5A) step-up converter in the fuse panel. A million times better. I also rewired the outdoor speaker wires to a new set of component speakers for a decent soundstage at the TV.

https://i.imgur.com/mvquHiQ.jpg
skisurfbum is offline   Reply With Quote