Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2020, 11:16 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

How is the TV Ant. Wired?

2004 E450 Minnie Winnie 30

I removed the old tube type TV. Plt in a modern tv. Using the coax that terminates in the outdoor shoreline cabinet, cable tv at parks works fine.

BUT, when no cable available, I wanted to use the rooftop yagi to try to capture a local station.

But, I don't see how that is wired? There are two coax male connectors on the coach. First, is in the old tv cabinet with tambor door. I use this seems to be connected to the outdoor cable connection and works fine.

Second, is on a plate under the cabinet. The plate has a male coax, a cigarette lighter socket, a tiny led, a small push button switch. (When using cable,I have to turn the switch off.)

What is that male coax on the plate for? Do I need to connect that tho my tv to use the roof yagi?
DesertRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 12:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

This link should get you to the correct drawings for you RV:
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_110138.pdf
There are 8 different layouts, depending on options you have, so I will let you choose.
But a major point is often how to set the switch as well as set the input on the TV, often through a menu. Over the air is likely to be different setup on the TV than cable.
I normally think of the switch on the plate mentioned as powering an amp for the antenna. Do you have a set of LED on the mount on the ceiling where you rotate the antenna? How to turn the antenna and set any gain from the amp is likely to take a bit of reading on your specific amp (if you have one!)
My basic idea is that with the switch on, LED lit, the OTA cables are set to TV, set TV to antenna or whatever your TV calls it, let it scan and then there should be programs there if close enough. For cable, turn switch off, set TV input to cable and should see that!
But do check that your cables run like one of the drawings. Not a very handy thing for RV as we used to be able to set a TV to some channel we knew was in the area and swing the antenna around to get the best picture without the added time delay of scanning for channels that may not be in that area at all.
Electronic advances often do come with a downside!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:37 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't able to do much the past couple days, but I will experiment today.

My main confusion isn't the TV itself - I know how to scan for OTA. The question is what is that coax connector on the plate under the cabinets, and where in particular the roof antenna coax come into the RV?

We have connected campsite cable to the RV, and it comes into the RV in the small cabinet where the old Tube TV used to sit. My new TV is connected to that coax connector and all works fine for cable. The oddball is that coax connector on the plate above the dinette!
DesertRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:03 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Okay, that depends some on what features you RV has or what may have been added over time. That coax connection on the front of the switch can be used to run something like a CD player, VCR, etc to the the TV, but then you do have eight different setups on the drawing depending on what you have on your specific RV.
Normally if you have a TV or two and only want to use the antenna or cable, the front connection at the switch is not involved as the switch chooses ant. or cable as in the first drawing.
But that is working on the assumption that nobody has changed it around over the years!! If nobody has changed things, you may find the splitter behind a plate right next to the switch on lots of RV. The splitter just acts as a Y to go to two TVs.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:42 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

You should not have to swap wires around as most coaches should have the amplifier and switching center referenced in your owners manual to switch from antenna, cable or satellite tv options.

You can read or download your operators manual at this link: https://winnebagoind.com/resources/m...nnieWinnie.pdf

The information on the TV system starts on Page 13 in Section 8 of your Operators Manual. For most its turn the antenna amplifier on and then select the Antenna Button on the input selector.