Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2014, 10:55 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Help with Winn. 2002 entertainment center

We have a new to us 2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V, that we have had for about a month. I have tried several times to get something on the TV's and haven't gotten anything yet. Got to the setup to change the zip code but that's it. Can't even get a DVD or tape to work. HELP

Any help would be appreciated.
MT
Marguerite66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:28 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

What type signal are you looking for, Cable, antenna, satellite

What type TV. Most newer models, you have to select input. Your upper right cabinet should have a video selection unit. Your antenna will have a booster power switch somewhere.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Hi Wizard, Went back out to the RV this morning to try again and finally got a tape and DVD to work on the bedroom TV and the front. Now I have to work on the antenna and the Sat. The antenna should be easy(ha ha) but the Sat. won't be because where I need to point the dish we have large trees, also it is a manual system. I can see why our friends decided to bite the bullet and install the auto system.
This was my first time trying to get some help from the site, but I have gotten so much help reading all the post, from the water filter to the ice maker and now the entertainment system. I may need some more help with it again.
Thanks again Wizard
Old 03-28-2014, 08:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

The manual ones work great. Once you learn how to work it you should be tuned in within 3 min. Our 02 adventurer had an auto one when we got it. It went round and round but no signal lock. The guys at winegard said it was outdated. I bought a new manual on amazon cheap and it works great.
Good luck.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:17 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

When I need a satellite dish, I use my old manual adjust VuCube.Works for me
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:33 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

The 2002 Adventurers came with the old style tube television. If you still have the original TV you need a digital converter box between the TV and the antenna to convert the incoming over the air digital signals to analog.

Since the range of digital transmitters is about 1/3 less than the old analog transmitters you'll also need an addition to the antenna to get good reception. If you have the original "batwing" antenna Winegard makes a snap on attachment called the "Wingman". It should increase the range of the original antenna by 25% to 30%.

To get the satellite system to work you'll need a compatible satellite receiver box and a current subscription to either Dish or DirectV. With the valid subscription you'll get a card to put in the receiver box to activate the service.

One note of caution. If you already have a satellite receiver box make sure it's one that's still supported. The original one we had in our 2001 Adventurer was declared obsolete about a year ago. At that time it would no longer receive signals even though we had a valid subscription.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:44 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Arizona & Hikerdogs, The previous owner did leave the converter box, today I will try the antenna. We have a booster for the antenna signal but when we're at home (we live in the foothills about 40 miles out of Fresno going towards Yosemite) it may not help with the trees and hills.
I was going to see if I can use the receiver box from DirecTV that we have in the house for the SAT., finally found the connections in the left hand overhead cabinet. The trees may not let the signal through there either.
Anyway, thanks for all the great advice and help. I can't tell you how much this site has helped us.

Thanks again and safe driving,
MT
Old 03-29-2014, 11:04 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

If the booster you're referring to is the original it needs to be turned on to get any antenna reception. It should have a little green light on the switch plate that goes on if it's working. The Wingman is also almost a necessity unless it's a straight shot to the transmission tower and it's less than 20 miles away.

Your home satellite box should work fine. Getting a signal through the trees could be a problem. After a few attempts at getting the motorhome in just the right position to get a signal through the trees we started bringing along a portable dish on a tripod. It's a lot easier to get it positioned properly.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:02 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Conquered the antenna today Now all that's left is the SAT., might try that Monday, suppose to have rain most of tomorrow into Monday morning. May be back to get help on that one.

Thanks again Hikerdogs
MT
Old 03-30-2014, 06:29 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

When you start the Direct TV dish alignment call Direct TV customer service and they will walk you through the dish set up and signal pick up. Not hard at all if you know the procedure.

Good luck
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:19 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

If you have DirectV there's a menu option on the main screen for dish pointing. You can type in the zip code using the remote and it will give you the proper elevation and azimuth settings. Then you can go to the signal meter option and it'll give you the signal strength as you move the dish.

Out last motorhome had a dish that could be aimed both automatically or manually. As time went on it took longer end longer for the automatic function to work. We got impatient so we started aiming it manually. It usually took less than 5 minutes from the time we hooked up the power until we had reception.

As a side note if your receiver has been powered down for more than a few days you may need to have the signal refreshed. You can either call 1800DIRECTV or do it from your laptop. It's faster to use the laptop than wade through the phone tree.

One more side note. If you don't get a good signal in Canada DON"T CALL DIRECTV. They have agreements with the Canadian providers that they will not broadcast into Canada. If you tell them you're in Canada they'll shut off your service until you return to the states.