Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-07-2010, 06:01 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Help removing old tv...

Planning on replacing the old tv with a new flat screen but can't see how to remove the old tv. It's in an '05 Itasca Sunrise and is the front tv. It's held in place with a metal strap and, apparently, no way to get to the strap bolts to release it. I'm sure there must be a way to remove that tv without destroying the wood trim work on the front of the set. But, at this point, I need a little advice on the best way to release the hold down strap. Thanks for any input.... / Larry
Lowhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:24 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

On mine the wood trim can be removed by prying out the wood plugs that cover the screw heads and removing the screws. There were access cutouts in the cabinet walls on each side of the TV that allowed the nuts and bolts holding the straps together to be removed.

If you go here TVProject pictures by ClayL - Photobucket you can see pictures of my TV project.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:59 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
On mine the wood trim can be removed by prying out the wood plugs that cover the screw heads and removing the screws. There were access cutouts in the cabinet walls on each side of the TV that allowed the nuts and bolts holding the straps together to be removed.

If you go here TVProject pictures by ClayL - Photobucket you can see pictures of my TV project.
Thanks, Clay! I can't locate any wood plugs to access screws. That was one of the first things I looked for. Also, have looked in both cabinets on either side of tv and can see no access points for the nuts holding the strap down. I'll keep looking. Again, thanks!! / Larry
Old 03-07-2010, 09:13 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I just replaced my Sony 24 inch big box. The wood trim did have plugs covering the screws that held the trim in.

But then I saw the metal strap across the back of the TV. What I realized after finally getting it out was that the strap has a rod about 1 1/4 inches long that extends into a hole built into the TV and holds it in place.

The way to lift the TV out is to lift the front of the TV up. This will allow the back to drop just enough to allow the rod to clear the hole in the back of the TV, and then the TV will slide out.

I discovered this on mine when I realized I could rotate the TV on the rod, but could not pull it straight forward.

If you need better instructions, PM me and I will send you a picture if that might help.

Mike
VI Roamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:17 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Look in the top cabinet (front) for either a hole or a pair of screws. There may be a clip there, and on the bottom. I think that the frame you are looking at is nothing more than a retainer to keep it stable, and is not physically attached to the tv. Just a thought!
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:07 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by VI Roamers View Post
I just replaced my Sony 24 inch big box. The wood trim did have plugs covering the screws that held the trim in.

But then I saw the metal strap across the back of the TV. What I realized after finally getting it out was that the strap has a rod about 1 1/4 inches long that extends into a hole built into the TV and holds it in place.

The way to lift the TV out is to lift the front of the TV up. This will allow the back to drop just enough to allow the rod to clear the hole in the back of the TV, and then the TV will slide out.

I discovered this on mine when I realized I could rotate the TV on the rod, but could not pull it straight forward.

If you need better instructions, PM me and I will send you a picture if that might help.

Mike
Thanks Mike. But, straps on mine are at the front of the tv. And, unless I've gone completely blind, there's no way to get to the nut and bolt that holds the strap tight. And, there's no screw plugs on the wood front frame work. I cannot find how the frame work is secured. I know I'm missing something but don't know what it is. / Larry
Old 03-07-2010, 01:57 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Check the cabinets on either side of the TV. You'll probably find a couple of screws on each side near the doors that go into the woodwork around the TV.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:42 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Clay, nice job on your install, I don't think I have ever seen a set with brackets like that for travel. Verrrry creative...
FATMANAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:30 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogators View Post
Planning on replacing the old tv with a new flat screen but can't see how to remove the old tv. It's in an '05 Itasca Sunrise and is the front tv. It's held in place with a metal strap and, apparently, no way to get to the strap bolts to release it. I'm sure there must be a way to remove that tv without destroying the wood trim work on the front of the set. But, at this point, I need a little advice on the best way to release the hold down strap. Thanks for any input.... / Larry
I finally figured it out with a lot of assistance from those of you who responded. Guess I'm not only getting older but 'slower'! Thanks, all!!
Old 03-08-2010, 01:55 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

....and the answer was?????
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:41 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATMANAR View Post
Clay, nice job on your install, I don't think I have ever seen a set with brackets like that for travel. Verrrry creative...
Thank You!!
My wife says that I over engineer things.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:45 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
....and the answer was?????
I apologize for the delay in responding to your question. There were, as advised, two small wood screws in each of the side compartments that had to be removed. Then, the plastic (?) cover (cowling) that covers the entire bottom of the tv comparmtent had to be removed. Finally figured out that the cowling had metal screws hidden by plug covers. Removed the plugs then the screws and, thankfully the entire cover slipped down and away. Removing the cowling revealed the hold down strap bolts that were then easy to remove.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:49 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

There is a good PDF on this forum where the owner installs a 32 inch flat screen TV and it looks great. I down loaded it for future use. He puts it on the outside of the wooden frame and it looks professional.
inspectorudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:41 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Replaced my tv a few months ago and after finding the hidden screws, it was pretty easy. Two things you may want to know; I used two 2X4's and grooved them the width of the tv at top and bottom. I then used cushion tape in the grooves to avoid scratching. I drilled holes in the upper strap and screwed the strap to the upper 2X4 and tightened it down; worked great. We have travelled across country since and have had no problems with security of the tv. Second, If you have surround sound in your rv, you will have to remove the back of the new flat screen and solder the wires that are now attached to the old tv speakers to the new tv speakers. You will find a small electrical cylinder taped to the back of the cover when you remove it; don't cut those wires too short when you remove the old tv; you need to connect those wires to the new tv speakers. any questions let me know. I did this in a 2005 Itasca Meridian.
JBroadaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:52 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

front tv removal

One more thing I found on mine this morning - if you have the surround sound system in your coach, you also have to remove the center speaker mounted in the wood frame above the tv before you can drop the frame / plastic pod away for access.

My TV had been sqeaking and rattling on the last trip. When I removed the frame, I found the left bolt for the hold down strap was loose by a good 1/2 inch, and the right side was laying in the bottom of the plastic pod. No wonder it rattled around so much!

Ken and Marlene
'05 Journey 36G
ken_harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:42 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

That is the very reason I put some self locking nuts on my frame when I installed the new tv.
JBroadaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:05 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Hi Clay,

We're just at the research stage of doing a similar conversion on our 2007 Itasca Sunova 29R.. I really like the look of what you have done. Any possibility of getting some additional info re dimensions of the box materials, brand of bracket etc.

Thanks in advance

John and Judy Anderson
nidesfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:15 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidesfella View Post
Hi Clay,

We're just at the research stage of doing a similar conversion on our 2007 Itasca Sunova 29R.. I really like the look of what you have done. Any possibility of getting some additional info re dimensions of the box materials, brand of bracket etc.

Thanks in advance

John and Judy Anderson
I got the mounting arm from Best Buy , you can see it here http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sanus+-+...anus&cp=1&lp=4

I made two sides, top, back and bottom out of 3/4 inch plywood.
Probably overkill but I wanted 3/4 on the right side where I installed the articulating arm for strength and I just wanted to buy one sheet of plywood.
The arm is held with two 1/4 inch bolts with fender washers under the nuts. The top one goes through the steel framework Winnebago uses around the cabinet.
I put the back piece of plywood in last so it could be easily removed to have access to the area behind the cabinet to run wires to the electronics in the cabinets on each side. (5 disc DVD/CD/Mp3 player, receiver amplifier, satellite receiver, Wilson cellphone amplifier, Wilson Trucker cellphone antenna downlead coax, and and Verizon aircard).

Before installing the plywood pieces I covered them with laminate flooring left over from my flooring project. I stole that idea from pace89. If you search for his user name he has a good post showing what he did.

I had to trim about 1/4 inch off the cabinet doors on each side of the TV. A little Light Oak stain and some polyurethane varnish and you can't tell they were trimmed.
A couple of the pictures show what I used for the travel hold downs. I put some weather stripping on the back to protect the TV face.

Good Luck!!