Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2011, 08:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Help - New Tv not working right with sound system

Hello everyone. My father has a 2002 Journey DL. It came equipped with a RCA television mounted up front above the dash. Since most movies and digital channels are going widescreen, he wanted to upgrade the tv to a Toshiba LED tv (one that came equipped with 2 output sound jacks {red & white} on the back). When he reconnected the tv the way the RCA one was connected, he could no longer control the volume of the tv. When the surround system was turned on, the radio worked great, but when he switched to the tv, it came on very loud and could not turn it down. Without the surround on, the tv works fine. Is there a simple solution to this we may be over looking. I'm good with computers myself, but not all that familiar with the wiring of the system and if there are any other filters we're not seeing besides the noise reduction one behind the tv.

I thank you all in advance for any and all help you can give me on this matter. We're stumped at the moment.

Thanks,

nsgrizzzly
nsgrizzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
KIX
Winnebago Master

Not a Journey here but probably wired the same. The surround sound is controlled by the dash radio. You need to run the sound from the TV through the dash radio. If the radio is OEM then you'll need to upgrade it. At least that was what was needed when we upgraded our TV. good luck
Old 07-27-2011, 09:15 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Your new LCD menu may have programing for different sound levels out of different sound output ports.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Many new LCD tv sets only have Fixed sound output which does not change when the tv volume is raised or lowered. They expect that the sound will be running to some sort of home theater which will control the volume (and save $ on the tv design.)

He needs to check the Setup on the TV and see if there is an option for Variable sound.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:25 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsgrizzzly View Post
Hello everyone. My father has a 2002 Journey DL. It came equipped with a RCA television mounted up front above the dash. Since most movies and digital channels are going widescreen, he wanted to upgrade the tv to a Toshiba LED tv (one that came equipped with 2 output sound jacks {red & white} on the back). When he reconnected the tv the way the RCA one was connected, he could no longer control the volume of the tv. When the surround system was turned on, the radio worked great, but when he switched to the tv, it came on very loud and could not turn it down. Without the surround on, the tv works fine. Is there a simple solution to this we may be over looking. I'm good with computers myself, but not all that familiar with the wiring of the system and if there are any other filters we're not seeing besides the noise reduction one behind the tv.

I thank you all in advance for any and all help you can give me on this matter. We're stumped at the moment.

Thanks,

nsgrizzzly
here is a recent post with pictures.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/fron...ong-97514.html
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

If you determine that your TV doesn't have variable volume analog audio out RCA jacks and you don't have the Winnebago adapter/filter/'wart' from the old TV (see previous link to Vectra install for this) this page over on John Canfield's website describes what's necessary to get the same result: TV Sound Modification for variable low-level audio output .

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:49 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Most of the Toshiba TVs, including the one that I put in my MH, have the ability to select either "fixed" or "variable" audio out.

Check your audio menu.

You need to choose "variable".
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Find a flat screen that has a output jack for headphones,and buy an adapter that goes from headphones to rca jacks and you will have surround sound with volume controled by tv,we just installed an lg for one of our customers makes it very simple
NO1RAINH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:51 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks everyone for the great comments and ideas. I will be seeing my father tonight and will pass on the information and see if we can fix this.

: )

nsgrizzzly
nsgrizzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:18 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I had the same problem when I upgraded after the old TV croaked. It is a matter of using the menu sound selections as suggested earlier. Very simple fix.

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #11

wE INSTALLED a VISO in our Ultimate Adv. That darn TV does not have any Output Speaker Jacks. (I say it's a piece of JUNK So i'm going to try to take it back our take the back off, And see what I can get into there;; Maybe the Bridge Resistor set up; If not it goes to ST; vinnies;
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:01 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
wE INSTALLED a VISO in our Ultimate Adv. That darn TV does not have any Output Speaker Jacks. (I say it's a piece of JUNK So i'm going to try to take it back our take the back off, And see what I can get into there;; Maybe the Bridge Resistor set up; If not it goes to ST; vinnies;
read the link in post #5.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:04 AM   #13

Well I went to RS. picked up a 8' 1/8" male/female plug on eather end Cut the male end off and Made up the resister Flow triangle. Haven't Installed Yet Maybe today.. However the plug from the speakers In the surround sound is just a single plug not Sterio;I;m wondering what is going to happen when i plug it in... WHY do these Engineers (dingbats) allways fix things that work.
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote