Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2005, 02:54 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Hi everybody,

We are close to zeroing in on the Horizon 40AD and ordering one in a month or two (our very first RV!). Thanks to everybody who has provided previous feedback on the Horizon/Vectra - it really helps with the buying decision.

We are planning on a Motosat/Datastorm install (2-way satellite Internet). In an extended discussion with a satellite vendor yesterday the subject of overall coach height came up. Winn specs list the coach height as 11' 9". I wasn't sure if that was with or without the Winn installed satellite dome - after talking to customer relations at Winn, they said it was without the dome. The Motosat is 10.5" high, the TV satellite dome is 11.5" high.

Bottom line: With the dome, the coach is about 13' high. Is this a problem? I read where Interstate highways have a minimum clearance of 13' 6". That's all well and good, but what about non-Interstate travel? Has the coach height been an issue?

Thanks for your wise counsel!

John Canfield
www.janeandjohn.org

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 02:54 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Hi everybody,

We are close to zeroing in on the Horizon 40AD and ordering one in a month or two (our very first RV!). Thanks to everybody who has provided previous feedback on the Horizon/Vectra - it really helps with the buying decision.

We are planning on a Motosat/Datastorm install (2-way satellite Internet). In an extended discussion with a satellite vendor yesterday the subject of overall coach height came up. Winn specs list the coach height as 11' 9". I wasn't sure if that was with or without the Winn installed satellite dome - after talking to customer relations at Winn, they said it was without the dome. The Motosat is 10.5" high, the TV satellite dome is 11.5" high.

Bottom line: With the dome, the coach is about 13' high. Is this a problem? I read where Interstate highways have a minimum clearance of 13' 6". That's all well and good, but what about non-Interstate travel? Has the coach height been an issue?

Thanks for your wise counsel!

John Canfield
www.janeandjohn.org

Old 01-28-2005, 04:01 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Different coach builders measure height in different ways. My Allegro Bus is 12'-4" but Tiffin measures to the top of the air conditioners. My satellite dome sits on the roof but is a touch higher than the A/C hoods so I have to add a few inches.

The Winnebago specs on my 2003 Suncruiser 33V (with 19.5" tires on a W20 chassis and basement air) was 11'-7" but that was only to the rooftop. The ladder stuck up over that and when I installed a KVH L3 in-motion satellite dome I physically measurer to the top of the dome and I came up with 12'-5" so it's fairly close to the Bus unless the gasser was porpoising down the road, which they can be known for.

On either coach I never had a problem getting under any bridges. Sometimes overhanging tree limbs in some parks or residential areas can cause a problem but I've never had any bridge issues. If an overpass is going to cause a problem, chances are it's seriously low and you won't make it in any configuration.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 04:21 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I don't have a dome, but my CB antennae hits some limbs and hit has a little backward slope. I think the antennae would be more of a problem than the dome. Yet I have never hit a bridge with it . Of course, if you forget to lower your crank up TV antennae than that could be a real problem...Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 05:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Location: Fulltiming. Living wherever the jacks hit the ground.
John, why put a dome and a Moto-sat? Have the installer put what they call a bird on a wire on the LNB arm of the Moto-sat. It's an attachment for sat TV that attaches out at the end of the LNB arm and you'll be able to get Direcway and TV off the Moto-sat.

Go to http://www.datastormusers.com and ask the guys there.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:21 AM   #6
PDB
Winnebago Camper

John, I was THIS CLOSE to buying the same coach until my wife saw a Vectra 40AD with a color scheme she liked better. You will like the Horizon coach, I am sure. It's a good unit.

RE: Dome and Motosat. I have the same thing on my Vectra. The factory Winegard dome is in the front, serving the lounge dish receiver. BTW, watch out for the Winegard dome if it is painted. Winegard says the dome warps from the factory paint and will replace it with a white dome if you ask.

I had the Motosat installed on the rear of the roof, with easy wiring down into the bedroom closet where I have all my electronics. The Motosat has the "bird on a wire" which services the bedroom dish receiver.

Email me if I can be of any help.
Paul

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd
PDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 07:34 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Good point Bob,

I am aware of BOW and was originally planning to do that. After my hour-long chat with the Datastorm guy we came to the conclusion that if you have BOW and the Motosat goes bonkers and won't point, then you also have no TV.

With a separate TV sat dome, you have redundancy of a sort. Of course then there is more stuff on the roof and also more stuff to break. Still considering my options, though.

I appreciate the comments,

John

Old 01-28-2005, 08:02 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
I had the Motosat installed on the rear of the roof, with easy wiring down into the bedroom closet where I have all my electronics. The Motosat has the "bird on a wire" which services the bedroom dish receiver.

Email me if I can be of any help.
Paul <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Paul,

It is nice to hear from the Vectra/Horizon owners.. you guys have given me a warm and fuzzy feeling about spending a whole wad of cash on something with wheels.

I heard that Winnebago had so much trouble with Winegard, that they dropped them as a supplier of the satellite equipment. Next time I call the factory with more questions, I'll ask about the new supplier.

Your Datastorm install is exactly what Bill Adams recommended to me after I sent him the floor plan of the AD. Maybe you have the best idea afterall - a TV dish up front, Datastorm in the rear with BOW for the aft TV.

We so far like the Horizon with the Ultra Leather (whatever that is) in the beige/neutral colors. I just don't like the wild fabric prints I have seen in some Vectra/Horizon coaches. That would keep me up at night ;-)

Gosh - I already feel like I'm part of the brotherhood - Thanks again to everybody for all of the assistance!

Cheers,

John