Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2014, 12:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

HDMI 4x4 Matrix Replacement

I'm finished with the cheap 4x4 HDMI Matrix switcher in our 14 Adventurer. Have had it fixed/replaced twice under warranty and it still doesn't work. It sends HDMI signals over long runs using CAT 6 cable. Anyone know of something else that would work using the existing CAT 6 cabling? Don't want the hassle of pulling new cable. Longest run would be right at 40 feet including routing necessities.
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake
cochise1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:44 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Keith, what brand is Winny using? What kind of issues are you having with it? One of the largest issues I find when things get flaky is improper or incorrect pairing termination into the RJ45 connectors. Have they checked the twisted pair cabling with a tester to insure good connectivity in the connectors?

I've had excellent success with LabGear and Monoprice brand matrix switchers when upgrading older coaches. I favor the Monoprice unit simply for it's ease of doing remote IR signals.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:35 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Monoprice sells the unit. Also Vanco. First unit didn't work well. Sent video to all three TVs but no IR remote extension to Bedroom. That one replaced by dealer. Second unit worked for several weeks and then one day, the power switch glowed dimly and none of the switching indicators lit up red or blue. Power supply tested out at 5.6 V. Different dealer this time. Was told that the unit started working on its own (suspicious) and they replaced an internal fuse to be sure. Got the unit home and the power switch glows brightly but no switching indicators light up. Guessing, the unit is still bad. HDMI and CAT 6 cables are plugged in. I will ask the dealer to order up a new one under warranty with all components. Assuming, wiring is in order, I should be able to install myself. Won't take the unit in again as I don;t want to be without it for several weeks while being lied to about back-ordered parts. Used to work in aerospace where we had a five year backlog on orders. RV repair facilities come in a close second. 100 broken rigs on their lot and only room for 8 in repair bays. Another 10 being repaired outdoors. All with only 4 or 5 techs. Thanks for letting me vent. I feel better now.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:01 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have had trouble with the matrix unit as well. Pace International sent me a second generation unit for free even though we were off warranty, it has been working well since May. I'm considering getting a second unit to keep as a spare as the cost is not too bad. I share your frustrations regarding RV dealerships but if you get near Lake Havasu, 3 T's does excellent work and seems to be able to make things happen in a hurry. Best of luck!
Brent
Old 11-02-2014, 04:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvWarner View Post
I have had trouble with the matrix unit as well. Pace International sent me a second generation unit for free even though we were off warranty, it has been working well since May. I'm considering getting a second unit to keep as a spare as the cost is not too bad. I share your frustrations regarding RV dealerships but if you get near Lake Havasu, 3 T's does excellent work and seems to be able to make things happen in a hurry. Best of luck!
Brent
Hi, having some issues with my Matrix box as well. Define 2nd generation if you would....
Ray
raycyn778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:43 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycyn778 View Post
Hi, having some issues with my Matrix box as well. Define 2nd generation if you would....
Ray
When I spoke with one of the service people at Pace and told him of the troubles I was having, he said that the first generation units had had issues like that and that they had been rectified with the newer produced units. He said he would send me a second generation unit. Maybe just salesman talk but so far so good.
Brent
Old 11-04-2014, 06:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvWarner View Post
When I spoke with one of the service people at Pace and told him of the troubles I was having, he said that the first generation units had had issues like that and that they had been rectified with the newer produced units. He said he would send me a second generation unit. Maybe just salesman talk but so far so good.
Brent
Do you have any idea of how to tell them apart? Any difference in how they look? Anything?
Ray
raycyn778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:21 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

No they look identical.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:47 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

HI,

I have the Matrix system in my new coach and it has worked great from day one.

The sensors don't stick very well though and had to put some super glue on them. I also positioned them so you can see them through the glass doors.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:27 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I ordered a used one on Amazon. Amazon guarantees items sold by third party sellers. Also waiting for a new one ordered under warranty. Idea is to have a spare. DW will move in to the Marriott if the TV ain't working. This is the second unit that failed. After being told it was fixed the last time, it wasn't. I told the service advisor that I didn't want to have the coach languish there for several weeks while waiting for a part again. He agreed to order a new one and I could come in and exchange them. He also asked for photos of the front and of the sticker/plate with Model and Serial Number. The only identifying information is "4x4 HDMI Matrix" on the top and 5v DC at the power port. That alone makes me think it is a very cheaply made unit. It is apparently sold under more than one brand name or under no brand name.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:46 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Hi,

You should go into the Winnebago website and click Resources and then go to Service Tips for 2014. There is a service tip bulletin about the Matrix System Generation 1 and 2 with part numbers.

Then print it out and you will have all the information.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:05 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I have had several instances of my TV "dropping out", goes to a "white" screen, for four or five seconds, then goes back to normal. My friend has had the same issues, we both have 2015 40Rs. We are in AZ, temps are in the 90's, and when not using AC, the cabinet that the 4X4 Matrix box is installed in gets very warm, even though the cabinet has ventilation slots in it. By leaving the cabinet doors open, and keeping the coach interior temp under 84degs, the problem seems to go away. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced similar problems, and since I am under warranty, should I pursue this problem when we get back home to our dealer, especially since the temps won't be anywhere near what we are experiencing down here.
Pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:24 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushrod View Post
I have had several instances of my TV "dropping out", goes to a "white" screen, for four or five seconds, then goes back to normal. My friend has had the same issues, we both have 2015 40Rs. We are in AZ, temps are in the 90's, and when not using AC, the cabinet that the 4X4 Matrix box is installed in gets very warm, even though the cabinet has ventilation slots in it. By leaving the cabinet doors open, and keeping the coach interior temp under 84degs, the problem seems to go away. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced similar problems, and since I am under warranty, should I pursue this problem when we get back home to our dealer, especially since the temps won't be anywhere near what we are experiencing down here.
I had the same issue with my Matrix system on the bedroom TV. I spoke to a technician at Pace and was able to get my system to work without any drop outs once I changed the resolution on the DVD player from 1080p to 1080i.
The technician told me the Matrix does not perform very good with 1080p data...give it a try.
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:43 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I will give that a try, but I think this is more of a heat related issue, as the drop outs occur when it gets really warm, and it will do it no matter what system I'm using, DVD, cable, or antenna.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:59 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Just talked to Pace, and yes, excessive heat can definitely be a problem. The good news is they are very willing to help, but since we are under warranty, I'll let the dealer get a crack at it first. There should probably be a muffin fan or something in that cabinet to remove the heat, not just running the AC and directing a vent at it.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:18 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Just a suggestion. If you need a new Matrix, order it from Monoprise on line. Good service and cheaper. I bought one from a company in Canada---$200 more and a defective unit.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:54 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Matrix 4x4

Interesting discussion. My 2015 Adventurer has the matrix and I have used my motorhome about eight times since Oct 14. Mine is acting up already. I have the livingroom TV I/R working with the other two TVs not working. I also have a Direct TV Traveller dish installed and have also noticed my Direct TV signal scramble for a brief second periodically with an absolute clear line of sight.
Dfreiberger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace, replacement