Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2006, 02:24 PM   #1
Administrator Emeritus

From a description of a unit on Lichtsinn's lot...it's an '06 40KD
Equipment Details: Best selling KD floorplan with the all new High Definition Ready HDTV - Flat Panel LCD!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 02:24 PM   #2
Administrator Emeritus

From a description of a unit on Lichtsinn's lot...it's an '06 40KD
Equipment Details: Best selling KD floorplan with the all new High Definition Ready HDTV - Flat Panel LCD!
Old 02-06-2006, 02:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Would that not mean the TV is capable of displaying the HD signal but would need an outside digital tuner to pull it off?

I purchased a Sony 43" rear projection TV a few years ago. It was when HD TV's were still quite $$$ and fairly new on the market. The salesman tried to sell me the identical Sony TV that was 'HD ready.' When I asked what that meant, he said I would need a digital tuner capable of receiving and processing a HD signal.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 03:52 PM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

You're right on the money ranger....When I bought my big tv it was hd ready and without the box it's just "ready"....
Old 02-06-2006, 04:58 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I just went through the the learning process on this and HD Ready means you have to provide your own tuner be it Cable, Satalite, Broadcast Digital or a HD complient Video Player (tape/disk/memory device).

For the economies of it I went with the Sanyo 32" CRT model for the home. For $649 at Walmart (sorry I know this is offensive to some) it came with built in analog and digital tuners which saved me from having to shell out an extra $199 for a separate HD tuner and Sanyo for the past few years has had the best reliability by far of all the TV manufacturers.

I don't subsribe to a service and use Broadcast Digital which is fine for my needs at this time. I work as a computer programmer in the TV Ratings industry so I do get a bit of ribbing at work for not being connected but I really don't need more viewing choices then the broadcasters are providing right now.

Regards,

Neil
Old 02-06-2006, 05:56 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

You're all correct, You can get an HD box now from most cable companies and SAT TV companies to "process" the signal, then the TV has the capability to "Display" that signal in true HD format. Other displays may be EDTV which is "Enhanced Definition" which is a bit lower resolution, but still pretty good.

ON EDIT: I looked at the MH online at Lichtsinn, I think he is trying to say that this unit has the BIG 32" LCD vice all the others (except for yours of course) not having them. I wish they put one in that entertainment center of mine!!. They could've made the E-center smaller AND more useful!!

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
BigTrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:21 PM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

Get all the bugs worked out of that floorplan Trace,once the nest is empty we'll probably head that way....

Geez....who knows what'll be popular in nine years.

(Did I just agree to keep the one I have for nine years? Thank goodness the wife doesn't read this stuff!! )
Old 02-06-2006, 06:39 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

ROFLMAO

Mine doesn't even know the site!!

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 02-06-2006, 07:05 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Can you believe the TV terminology of today? Ready, not ready,i/p,lcd,plasma( doesn't that have to do with blood?) rear projection(like that) and on and on and on..
used to be simple 10",12" and 17". Man I am OLD OLD OLD. y'all be good.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 04:58 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quick question to you guys in the know...

Will the Winnegard batwing antenna(sp) that we have pick up HD off air?
Old 02-07-2006, 05:16 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Yes.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 12:55 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve:

Will the Winnegard batwing antenna(sp) that we have pick up HD off air? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To my knowledge, the answer would be no. The regular "Batwing" antenna would be able to pick up "Analog" signals which is why you can see them on any standard TV. HD signals are Digital and must be converted for your TV to see them. For instance, most major TV stations (NBC,ABC,CBS) will broadcast certain shows in HD format. The problem is, you won't get that unless you have a digital box capable of accepting the signal and processing it to a TV that is also ready. Otherwise, you get the plain old analog signal. This is why many channels on regular cable have HD counterparts where there is an HD versio of NBC, CBS and ABC on some other (in our area channel 700) channel. On those channels, you cannot view them WITHOUT the proper hookup to your TV, but when you do get it, it is GREAT. Long story short, a normal "Batwing" antenna cannot be converted to digital under any circumstances I'm familiar with. Only a Satelite Signal, which is already digital, will you be able to receive HD TV with an HDTV decoder (an OPTION on DTV or DISH) and HD ready TV.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 02-07-2006, 02:09 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Long story short, a normal "Batwing" antenna cannot be converted to digital under any circumstances I'm familiar with. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A regular old WInnegard batwing will pickup HD signals off air.

Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 03:35 PM   #14
Administrator Emeritus

MY local NBC affiliate says it best....

What is the difference between TV's advertised as "HDTV" and those advertised as being "HD Ready"?

This is something to look out for if you're in the market for buying an HDTV. A TV advertised as "HD Ready" is not the same as a fully equipped HDTV. A TV that is "HD Ready" is one that, while capable of delivering high definition television, is not properly equipped to do so right out of the box. In essence, an "HD Ready" television lacks the ATSC tuner/decoder that actually deciphers the on-air HD broadcast, so an additional tuner/decoder must be purchased. True HDTV sets, on the other hand, have a built-in tuner/decoder and are able to both decipher high definition images and display them on screen.

The FCC has mandated that all televisions include an internal ATSC tuner/decoder according to the following schedule:

All TV's 36" or larger manufactured after 7/1/05
All TV's 25" or larger manufactured after 3/1/06
All TV's 13" or larger manufactured after 12/31/06

Until then, while WAVY-TV does not officially endorse particular vendors or equipment brands/models, some popular choices for external ATSC tuners needed on an "HD-Ready" TV are:

· US Digital (Wal-Mart stores)

· Pro-Brand HD3150 (http://www.circuitcity.com)

· Samsung SIR-T451 (http://www.circuitcity.com)

· Humax HFA100 (http://www.costco.com)

· Funai/Sylvania 6900DTE (http://www.bestbuy.com)

· RCA ATSC11 (http://www.wal-mart.com)

For those with a tuner/decoder built into their HDTV, an antenna is necessary to receive free, over-the-air digital signals from area broadcasters.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:14 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve:

Will the Winnegard batwing antenna(sp) that we have pick up HD off air? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have recieved Broadcast Digital using Regular Analog antennas with very few problems. As long as the downlead is well sheilded and of high quality you should be OK. The major difference that I saw when I replaced my old analog antenna (worn out from too many hurricane prep cycles) with a new one that was HD Compliant was in the heavy duty matching transformer and the use of the better sheilded downlead, the rest was pretty much the same.

I have even used the old limo trunk mount antennas to receive Brodcast Digital TV with fairly decent results.

Just verify if the set you have or are considering has a built in digital tuner or not. External BDS tuners have run around $200 more or less and will be required for sets that only claim to be HD Ready or HD Monitors.

Once you get into it Broadcast Digital is fairly easy and depending on your location you may be well pleased with the programming available. For example here in Tampa Bay we have three different digital PBS broadcasts on WEDU channel 3 alone.

Check out: http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx for information on what is available in your area.

Regards,

Neil
Old 02-09-2006, 06:04 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Not to 'threadjack,' but to make sure I understand.

If we have a TV or tunner that is HD, we should not need to change out the batwing antenna.

Thank you all, that will make life easier.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:41 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Not to 'threadjack,' but to make sure I understand.

If we have a TV or tunner that is HD, we should not need to change out the batwing antenna.

Thank you all, that will make life easier. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve,

If the amp and downlead are in good condition then you should be OK. I actually have gotten better results from a regular antennas then from some of the "Special" Digital TV models.

Just be forwarned that you may not be able to tolerate video tape and may come to regard DVD as inferior to a true HD Broadcast.

Regards,

Neil