Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2010, 10:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Got Surround Sound, finally!! But static too!!

Like many of you, after installing a 32 inch Samsung lcd tv in my 2004 Journey, I could not get the surround sound to work. I have posted two or three threads on this surround sound issue. The most helpful advice I received was from SML Ranger and Olive which involved removing the back of the tv, locating the speakers (which are at the bottom of the tv) and soldering the appropriate speaker wires to the left and right speakers. In a phone conversatiion with Olive, she tipped me off to calling a tech representive at Riverpark Inc., in Elkhart, Indiana. I followed up on her suggestion, described my problem, and was given the following advice. I was instructed to buy a harness that had rca cables, red and white, on a short run of wire running out of a black, round cylindrical unit about 3 inches long by 1 and a half inches in diameter. (cost $10.00). These rca connectors, (red and white) connected to the red and white rca connectors coming down from the amplifier. At the other end of this cylindrical harness was a longer stretch of wire that divided into two segments each containing a red speaker wire and a braided bare wire (positive and negative) and the other a white speaker wire and braided bare wire (positive and negative). I then had to remove the back of the tv, locate the speakers which were at the bottom, and solder the red wire to the positive terminal of the right speaker and the bare braided wire to the negative or the right speaker. On the left speaker, the white wire was soldered to the positive and the bare to the negative speaker post. (In actuality I disconnected an old cylindrical noise suppressor which I think is the same thing as the cylindrical black harness unit I bought from Riverpark. OK, so I put the back on the tv, remounted in on the wall support. Made the HDMI and other connections. Turned on the tv.......sound came out of the tv speakers......flipped the toggle switch on the dash from main to aux, and I now had the surround sound. Hooray!! And, I could control the volume up and down with the tv remote. (When I didn't have the speakers wired this way it was always LOUD, which others of you have pointed out in previous threads). I'm happy that I now have surround sound, but alas, I have another problem which I hope is easy to resolve, and this is the issue for which I need some advice and direction. While my sound surround now works, and the volume is controllable with the remote, I have a good amount of static, hissing, and sometime what seems like a popping noise. We cannot watch the tv with this static and extraneous noise. Thus I need some help and guidance to remedy this problem. How do I get rid of the static and hissing? I have an hd directv receiver, samsung 32 inch lcd, and a samsung blu-ray dvd. Thanks for your help.
mycoolbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:16 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I'm in the process of pulling my Samsung LCD TV and will be doing the same connections you have just done. I currently am using a 10K pot to mannually adjust the surround volume but that is getting old and cumbersome.

I have the same round noise suppressor you have and do not have any hissing or buzzing, at least not that is too noticeable. However, when I run the TV off the inverter (which is rare), I do get a slight buzz. We are usually either on shore power or generator when TV watching so it is not a problem for us.

Will stay tuned to see what some of the other technical experts advise.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:08 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I can also suggest that it might be the inverter/charger. We get static and buzzing when the batteries are charging or we're running the inverter.

We also have the round noise suppressor and have upgraded to LCD TV.

We didn't have to solder wires as our TV had a audio out that was controlled by the TV, but everything else sounds the same.

2017 Cedar Creek 38EL/2015 Silverado 3500HD
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:13 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

May be my fault

The static problem may be my fault due to the way in which I soldered the speaker wires to the positive and negative tabs of the speaker. I'm going to carefully desolder the wires that I attached to the speakers and then resolder them again. I suspect that this may be the problem, I'll let you know. The soldering iron that I was using took a while to get hot enough to cause the solder to flow. I may have created a (cold solder) connection (bad), so I think it is worth a retry. The wires that run from the harness that I mentioned are of a fairly thin gauge and it makes them a bit difficult to handle. I'm going to be more careful and systematic and redo the job. I hope that it works the second time around. If not, at least I will know to look elsewhere. I'll get back to you. Riverpark, Incs advice was right on and good. You can call them and ask to talk to Mike O'Connell.
mycoolbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

UA40J, What TV did you install. I am in the process of doing this change over but haven't bought the TV yet.
Mr_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:33 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

If you don't have a TV yet, buy one that has a switchable audio out. Set the output to "variable" and be done with it.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:49 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycoolbeans View Post
this is the issue for which I need some advice and direction. While my sound surround now works, and the volume is controllable with the remote, I have a good amount of static, hissing, and sometime what seems like a popping noise. We cannot watch the tv with this static and extraneous noise. Thus I need some help and guidance to remedy this problem. How do I get rid of the static and hissing? I have an hd directv receiver, samsung 32 inch lcd, and a samsung blu-ray dvd. Thanks for your help.
i suggest that you move your noise suppressor around and check the noise level. when you find a good place, use sticky velcro to attach it to keep it from moving.
this works on my moho.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:30 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I bought Vizio.

2017 Cedar Creek 38EL/2015 Silverado 3500HD
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:37 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Well... First that round cylinder.. IT is nothing more than two transformers, may be 1-1 or may be ratio (IE: 8 ohms in 1K out) and likely has an "L" pad or some other resistor network in there to lower the voltage out. I built my own to interface this computer to a radio for ham radio work... Works great

Now the static poping and such.. Suggests a bad ground to me. LIkely on the RCA side.

Finally.. You do NOT have surround sound..

You might hve Psuedo surround sound.

but it's nto surround sound

It's stereo, that is all you can do with those connections

To do surround sound you will need to either have a television that has surround sound out or has digital sound out (This is either an RCA jack or a special "optical" jack, it has a red LED inside it) and this couples to the matching input on the amp/surround decoder.