Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-18-2009, 09:19 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have seen a couple of threads in the past about the annoying glare at night from the radio that lights up the entire bedroom. Winnebago and the manufacture of the radio advise that you can not dim the light. Has anyone found a solution to this annoying light short of just proping something up against the radio at night?
My wife is in the process of trying to sew something that will attach and block the light. Would anyone be interested on one of her creations, assuming she is successful. I told her it has to cost a reasonable amount like $5 or $6 dollars or most, like me, will just duct tape it. Any takers.
NCTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:26 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We leave our TV on all night. What glare?
Old 01-18-2009, 10:28 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I put black electrical tape over our screen to block the light three years ago and it is still there. It is one anoying light when you are trying to sleep.
Bob O
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have heard of people using vehicle window tinting film to cut down the glare. Most auto parts stores should have it.
Mothership is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:43 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I like your idea mothership, I have been propping a book or magazine in front of it, but I am going to give the window tinting a try
Old 01-18-2009, 12:19 PM   #6

Ours has a little overhang on the top, just above the radio. I tacked a flap of black vinyl underneath the overhang so it hangs down over the radio. That way if I want to see what time it is I just lift the flap. No "sticky" tape and it blocks out the light.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:45 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I wired in a mini toggle switch in the B+ circuit. Mounted the switch in the phone jack cover plate.

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:18 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Chief,

Would you go into some detail on your fix? I have emailed the manufacturer and ask for guidance...so far no response!

Thanks
Old 01-19-2009, 08:52 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I have a rather odd use for the BR radio in my rig. My hearing is slightly diminished while DW's ain't. SO, when watching TV at night after she has curled up, she finds the TV vol. too loud.

Well, I bought a 12V Mini FM transmitter into which I feed audio from the sat. receiver. The transmitter outputs on any one of 8 different FM radio band frequencies. I pick an unused freq and set the radio to that.

Since the speaker is much closer to my ear and on the far side from BW, she can't even tell it is on.

When I opt to finally drop off, I set the "Sleep" control to 30 min. and the radio turns off in a half hour.

Now, as to the bright light, I use a post card taped at the top of the radio and it flops down over the LEDs. If I need to see the display, I merely lift it up. Voilá.

Sorry to be so wordy but I think my radio idea is neat and easy and fits with the glare filter.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:43 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

NCTom, I too though the radio light was way to bright. So I went and bought a push button 5 amp switch at Lowes. I located the hot wire to the radio, cut it on the coach side of the plug and then mounted the switch above the Ele plug right by the radio. So now when I want use the radio I just push the button, the light comes back on and the radio,DVD work just fine.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40KD
CaptainCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:00 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

The window tint solution worked well for me -quick and easy, and best of all, free! I picked up a scrap piece at n/c from our local tint shop.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:08 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NCTom:
I have seen a couple of threads in the past about the annoying glare at night from the radio that lights up the entire bedroom. Winnebago and the manufacture of the radio advise that you can not dim the light. Has anyone found a solution to this annoying light short of just proping something up against the radio at night?
My wife is in the process of trying to sew something that will attach and block the light. Would anyone be interested on one of her creations, assuming she is successful. I told her it has to cost a reasonable amount like $5 or $6 dollars or most, like me, will just duct tape it. Any takers.[/QUOTE

Tom and Ellen,
I totally understand your problem. DH can sleep anywhere in any situation. Not I! That light was driving me nuts and I needed that radio light covered every night!

My solution was to get some of that dark cling-on sunshades (that stuff that clings to glass) at Walmart. Cut it to size and just kept layering it until it blocked out enough light to satisfy me! Best part, a whole roll fits into your price category and you can use the leftovers elsewhere!

Hope this helps!
Jeanne M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:03 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Hamguy,
Thanks for both suggestions. They are gong to work for me!!!!
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:05 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

OK. Here is a different idea for you all to consider. I pulled out a drawer next to the radio, found the power fuze and pulled it out. Then I went to the Winny dealer and order a on/off rocker switch, that would match all my other coach switches, and cut a hole in the wall next to the radio and installed this on/off switch. Put the fuze back in and then labled the switch. The LIGHT is off. Unless I turn on the raido with the switch. Problem fixed!
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:53 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

All fine unless you actually use the clock or it's alarm. In that case there is only one solution.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:12 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Doesn't seem to bother me or the DW, I like the clock where I can see it at night, also use the alarm to make sure I get to the golf course on time. No need to change mine, but I feel for you "light" sleepers.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:33 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

We tried the tint material but even several layers left it too bright for our taste so we ended up taping a business card to the radio so it hangs over the clock and we can lift it to see what time it is.

Dumb design.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:02 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to all for the many possible solutions. The great variety of potential solutions proves what ingenius people RVers are. That's why I love this site. If you have a problem, post it here and you get 3 or 4 different ways to solve it. Thanks again to all and travel safe.
NCTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:01 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Recent post by WayneW suggests there might be a reset for the radio that could include brightness, I don't know but it migtht be worth a try. See forum subject "bedroom radio time set"