Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2020, 07:43 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Garmin GPS

We just bought a 2020 Adventurer 30T. The coach does not have a GPS built in. We think we will purchase a Garmin model RV 780 or RV 785. My concern is that if cell service is lost, you will not have navigation on your phone. A stand alone unit that has all the appropriate RV routes seems like a good idea. Anybody have experience with these units? I have used Garmin in my cars for years and I am happy. Software is updated free of charge and automatically on the Garmin units.
Goodscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:38 AM   #2
Site Team

I've got the RV770. It's pretty similar to the others and if you can find one will be a bit less expensive since it's an older model. I run that along with Waze on my phone. I rely on Waze for traffic and if I know a specific route and since you can load your length, height and width into the Garmin I rely on that to not put me in situations where I might encounter a road, bridge, obsticle that may cause some issues.

I'm not going to say it's a necessity for everyone but it is for me. I don't drive the RV without it at least turned on even if I know the route I want to take.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:38 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

We have the Garmin 760 in our unit and use it all the time. It's going on five years old now and is updated periodically.

I do however review the next days route on my lap top just to verify.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:15 AM   #4
Site Team

I'm surprised a new Adventurer doesn't have the Xite infotainment system installed with standard Rand McNally GPS. I've not heard of an Adventurer without one for the last 6 or more years.

I looked at the online Brochure. And there is not even a GPS option. Which seems odd to me. I guess they had so many complaints about the Xite system they decided to stop using that system, at least in the Adventurer.

Here's the current system - wonder who makes it???? I wonder if you can plug a phone or ipad nto the USB or HDMI port and see navigation on the screen??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 10.18.44 AM.png
Views:	111
Size:	278.8 KB
ID:	173153  
Old 03-30-2020, 09:54 AM   #5
Site Team

Not related to the GPS unit itself, but more to the mounting. I'm not sure why Garmin felt the need to include a car-style mount to the RV units. Barely anyone has glass that is that close to them when mounted. I'm currently using a sticky backed disk on the dash with the mount attached to it. I'm considering getting a RAM mount ball adapter that I can put through the dash, then an extension arm and large X-grip for mounting. That way it won't randomly fall off the mount. Just somethign to consider in your purchase.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:20 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I have somewhat mixed feelings on GPS use. One is that all routing needs to be checked for whether it is doing what you consider logical. Routing for my trips to the Gulf coast does not fit what I want as it takes me down the most direct route, which also happens to parallel Interstate 35 for much of the way. Fine if you want to do a tour of small Texas towns but not very good if you want to get somewhere! I have to force it to go the way I want.
But on the other hand, I would not leave home without it on the dash. I do not use the RV type and do not feel I need any of the specific info for load and heights as I do not get on the backroads where an 18-wheeler will not go until I am almost to a point and then I can tell if it is a no-go place.
The only time I've had to turn around was in New Mexico and the road was covered in sleeping cattle just before I got to the state park. I'm a farm boy but I've never seen such determined cattle! Rather than have a steer cave in the side, I turned around. Doubt that GPS would have told me.
I do not want a built in item which becomes obsolete as quickly as GPS but I have mine mounted on a padded sandbag made for the purpose as it allows me to flip it into the RV or towed car as needed.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:37 PM   #7
Dives2Little

GPS in Motorhome

We have the Xite system in our '16 Ellipse and I don't like it; it has a kludgy interface and is not intuitive for putting routes in. The only reason we keep it is I haven't figure out how to make my cameras work with anything else.

That being said, I have a GarminRV770, which I love. It is mounted to the driver's side window (forward, by the dashboard, so I can see it easily). I really appreciate it "knowing" my length, height, and weight-it has save me a couple of really ugly side trips. You do have to know your approximate route so that you can head it off when it get stupid-doesn't happen often, but sometimes...

The RV 770 will let you specify the type of route; toll road/no toll road, freeways,secondary roads, fastest route, quickest route, which give you a lot of latitude in your route. In a pinch you can set waypoints to better specify the route. Invaluable!
Dives2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:39 PM   #8
2018 Intent 26M Owner

Garmin RV 785

I bought this unit last year and fully agree with comments about mounting....Garmin doesn't seem to every have been in an RV and give you an unusable mount without glass! Also, it is virtually impossible to plan a trip as you have to use Garmin BASECAMP which is a complete pain in the ASS!!!

I like the verbal OK GARMIN feature to search as you drive and I like the dash cam with its features...the real reason I bought the 785 is the dash cam...I have mine mounted on a bean bag fixture TAPED to the dash and it works okay but very unsightly.

Us RVTRIP Wizard to plan and 785 for other features.
Safe-T-Plus, Roadmaster 1139140 Front SwayBar, Roadmaster 1139144 Rear SwayBar, Rear Drag Link, Koni Shocks front and rear, Front Sumo Springs, RVI3 Brake System, BlueOX 7365 Alpha TowBar, RVI3 Battery Charge, EEEZTire-TPMS, Winegard Connect 2 4GLTE and WiFi extender,
feiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:44 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dives2little View Post
We have the Xite system in our '16 Ellipse and I don't like it; it has a kludgy interface and is not intuitive for putting routes in. The only reason we keep it is I haven't figure out how to make my cameras work with anything else.
I've heard a lot of similar complaints about the Xite RM GPS. We have it as well, but we really like ours. Perhaps you've not updated the software on your Xite system? Or perhaps it's because of the way the RM system works kind of backwards. Certainly it's backwards of Garmin's way of operating.

Have you installed the RM DOCK software on a computer and updated the software/maps on the SD card recently?

Have you used the RM Trip Maker website to plan trips and load them onto your RV's SD card?
Old 04-08-2020, 05:06 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Garmin has a nice free program "BaseCamp" that runs on your Windows computer and allows easier planning trips and loading Points of interest. You can then connect to the stand alone GPS and transfer the information.
I find having a real keyboard and mouse much faster and easier than touch screen on a GPS.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:47 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I replaced my factory pioneer with a new KENWOOD with built Garmin GPS as well as apple car play. The the Garmin gets traffic info from a Kenwwod traffic app on my phone. It’s works really well. I recommend it highly.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:47 PM   #12
Wacked-Out 'Nam Vet

GPS

I'm a retired career helicopter pilot and have used many different types of navigation systems. Hands down the best has been Garmin GPS. Flying out to a drill ship over 200 miles offshore in the Gulf of Mexico at night in bad weather makes you appreciate a system that lets you get down to 300 feet altitude and arrive at the rig safely with only 1/2 mile visibility. I've used Garmin GPS's since they were first invented and when Garmin made units I could use in my car I bought them. I've got one for my 4Runner Trail Edition to explore single track roads through national forests. I've got one for both of my motorcycles (yes, two more) and I've got one for my mountain bike too. But when I saw what the Garmin 785 could do for my Minnie Winnie I just had to buy another one. I think the dash cam warnings for excursions out of your lane or getting too close to the vehicle you are following are eye wash, but being able to record the low life who cuts in front of you and slams on the brakes so that he can sue you makes that option important. Traffic information is available wherever HD radio of operating. That would be most big cities. Periodic updates keeps you knowledgeable where road construction has made that info priceless. The range of Bluetooth options available will keep you reading the instructions for quite a while. The bottom line is knowing exactly where you are especially if you are having difficulties needing outside help makes GPS indispensable. Just call for help on your cell phone and give them your coordinates. All of the responders have GPS, shouldn't you?
Touch N Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:27 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I’ve used Bad Elf since they came out for iPad, running the CoPilot app and Waze. Mines the older 30pin connector but it works as good as day one. Uses satellite link, so no data usage. Have my iPad suction cupped to the drivers side quarter window.

https://bad-elf.com/pages/be-gps-1008-detail
Jakm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:35 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I would also say that Garmin’s picture of what the road is going to look like helps you know which of the two lanes to be in should the exit have two lanes and they suddenly split. It’s absolutely the way to go
Old 04-09-2020, 07:22 AM   #15
Living The Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodscout View Post
We just bought a 2020 Adventurer 30T. The coach does not have a GPS built in. We think we will purchase a Garmin model RV 780 or RV 785. My concern is that if cell service is lost, you will not have navigation on your phone. A stand alone unit that has all the appropriate RV routes seems like a good idea. Anybody have experience with these units? I have used Garmin in my cars for years and I am happy. Software is updated free of charge and automatically on the Garmin units.
You can also purchase a Garmin GTM 60 power cord that comes with a traffic condition receiver ... it gets data from radio signals rather than via Bluetooth from your cell phone, so you’ll get traffic info. About $50 from Amazon. Would that help?

See here: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/104181#devices
SeeTheUSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 03:48 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

A couple years ago I wanted to upgrade my GPS. I had a Garmin non RV GPS. I purchased the RM RV 770 and did not like it. It had to be connected to wifi for traffic, would often lose location (a known problem I found out but they were trying to fix) among other things. I recently purchased the Garmin 785 and like it so much better. Traffic is built in to the power cord. I like the "ok Garmin" feature which I had in previous Garmins but not in the RM 770. I haven't used the Garmin a lot yet but like it better than the RM.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:25 AM   #17
Living The Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive View Post
A couple years ago I wanted to upgrade my GPS. I had a Garmin non RV GPS. I purchased the RM RV 770 and did not like it. It had to be connected to wifi for traffic, would often lose location (a known problem I found out but they were trying to fix) among other things. I recently purchased the Garmin 785 and like it so much better. Traffic is built in to the power cord. I like the "ok Garmin" feature which I had in previous Garmins but not in the RM 770. I haven't used the Garmin a lot yet but like it better than the RM.
The $50 power cord with the traffic receiver would have allowed your 770 to get traffic info without using WiFi on your cell phone. That’s what I use. See post above yours for the details.
SeeTheUSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 07:47 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

I have a Garmin 770 - a 7 inch screen pre the development of RV specific models. Love the size of the screen and dont miss all the RV info that is readily available in many other places. Have used Garmin since the late 80s on boats and vehicles. Garmin is hands down the best and most technologically advanced GPSs. You cannot go wrong with a Garmin in my opinion and need only determine if you need the RV info as it likely has a short life before updating is required. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 10:09 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
Garmin is hands down the best and most technologically advanced GPSs.
That's hardly a fact. I haven't had a Garmin since the Dash Express came out, which was the first GPS to have traffic from not only government sources but crowd sources. While a rather bulky device, it's interface was far superior to Garmin, but they ran into the financial crisis and died due to venture capital drying up.

Dash Express GPS Review

I'd heard Blackberry bought their tech, but I never saw them do anything with it. The Google Maps (non-Android Auto version) is probably closest to the interface, so maybe they got it somehow. As I recall you could even download addresses to it from your computer like you can with Google Maps.

That said, Garmin is good and the best of the dedicated GPS manufacturers.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:47 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodscout View Post
I'm a Garmin fan too ... we use a Garmin 3550LM in our RV that I keep loaded with the latest maps of North America, plus hundreds of thousands of custom Points of Interest.

However, there are now navigation apps for phones that do not need cell service. You can load maps into your phone's memory and then navigate using only those maps and the phone's built-in GPS capability - just the way that a Garmin navigator unit operates.

I recently purchased a 2019 model Samsung phone with 256GB of memory storage and have loaded the "Sygic" app into it for offline navigation. I've loaded the maps for all of the U.S. and Canada into it through the Sygic app. The maps can be upgraded three times a year if you wish.

I plan to start checking the Garmin against the phone to see how they compare on RV trips and if the phone works out for accurate offline navigation, I'll use both on trips to back each other up. I had another Garmin fail on an RV trip once and I don't ever want to repeat that experience.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote