Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2013, 05:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Front tv replace

We are replacing the front TV in our 04 sightseer with a 32" LED flat screen. I have seen some of the links but most seemed to be from 09. Has anyone done this lately? We are putting in a full motion swivel mount so that the storage is accessible-need all storage we can get sometimes.

If you did one of the earlier posts I have seen have you been satisfied. I saw one where he put a notched board that the TV sits on but not sure how he gets the TV into notch as these mounts don't typically lift up. Does the TV tilt enough to get it out of the notch.

Pictures, instructions always appreciated-am not a wood worker so am challenged in that department. Thanks
jazzerjump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:16 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Sightseer TV

I upgraded to a 32 LCD in my 2004 35N. Took out the old tv, left in the steel frame in cabinet that supported it. Removed vinyl shroud and used self tapping screws from outside to attach wood panels inside the side of cabinet. I did not finish for storage but that is just a matter of lining it with wood panels.
I attached an articulating mount to these wood panels. I also replaced the wood lip on the front of the cabinet with a 12 inch deep shelving board to create a shelf for the TV to stand on so it is not just on articulating mount. Decided to do this so would not have to strap it back across front when in motion. But as the TV would still walk while driving I also used small bungee cords to tie the TV back, wrapped around the base. These are easily detached to allow me to move the TV out if I want. I attached before and after pictures that I had available. Only issue I have is the TV I am using has side HDMI port and the cable barely clears the right side cabinet door. Glad to answer any particular questions but this is the overview.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	showimagerv21.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	50242   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV update.jpg
Views:	643
Size:	224.0 KB
ID:	50243  

opbart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

These worked for me. Just have to know if you need a 90 or 270 degree. In addition to the bungee cords I used a small patch on each corner of velcro. Real small as they really lock up tight after moving down the road.
Amazon.com: right angle hdmi
I cut and velcroed in place a smoked panel. It hides everthing in back while letting the IR remotes still work the DVD player and satellite box. It is easily removed and the TV swung out of the way if need be.
0.236 gray transparent: Cast Acrylic Sheet - .25" Thick, TP Gray, 12" x 24" - Pick: Color, Thickness, Size: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
"Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I mounted mine on 3/4" plywood with a piano hinge.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/03-d...ns-115558.html

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I replaced the TV in our 2005 Sightseer. Our old TV quit working. Here is a link to pictures of my TV replacement project.

You mention a notch, I used a notch to set the TV in. The swivel mount has enough play in it to allow the TV to lift up enough to sit the TV into the notch. My swivel mount also has a tilt function. To access the space behind the TV I tilt the TV forward and lift it out of the notch. I have to tilt forward to clear the sound bar.

I found that I needed something to keep the TV from tilting and jumping out of the notch on rough roads. My solution was to make a wooden keeper that fits behind my sound bar and over the top of the TV. This keeps the TV from tilting and if it can't tilt it can't jump out of the notch.

There are a lot of other solutions out there.

Click this LINK to view pictures of other Winnebago TV replacements.

Some people on this link take the easy route of putting in a 2X4 and mounting their TV mount on the 2X4. Others take the route I took and turned the space their old CRT TV used into cabinet space and mounted the new flat screen TV in front of the new cabinet space.

You will be able to look at lots of pictures from lots of TV replacement projects and pick something you like.

Safe travels.

JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

You can see pictures of my 32 inch TV installation HERE.

You can remove the oak frame around the TV by prying out the wood plugs (6 of them I think) and taking the Phillips head screws out.The TV is held in place by a strap arrangement. There are two nuts that must be removed to disassemble the strap. Not much access room so it took a while to unscrew the nuts - one on each side.
The TV weighs about 55 pounds so it might be good to have two people to take it out but I did it alone.

Winnebago uses a steel cage in the cabin area made of rectangular steel tubing. The steel framework for the overhead cabinet is attached to it.

I made two sides, top, back and bottom out of 3/4 inch plywood.
Probably overkill but I wanted 3/4 on the right side where I installed the articulating arm for strength and I just wanted to buy one sheet of plywood.

The arm is held with two 1/4 inch bolts with fender washers under the nuts. The top one goes through the steel framework Winnebago uses around the cabinet.
I put the back piece of plywood in last so it could be easily removed to have access to the area behind the cabinet to run wires to the electronics in the cabinets on each side. (5 disc DVD/CD/Mp3 player, BlueRay DVD player, satellite receiver, Wilson cellphone amplifier, Wilson Trucker cellphone antenna downlead coax, and and Verizon aircard).

Before installing the plywood pieces I covered them with laminate flooring left over from my flooring project. I stole that idea from pace89. If you search for his user name he has a good post showing what he did.

I had to trim about 1/4 inch off the cabinet doors on each side of the TV. A little Light Oak stain and some polyurethane varnish and you can't tell they were trimmed.

A couple of the pictures show what I used for the travel hold downs. I put some weather stripping on the back to protect the TV face.They (the pictures) aren't real good but they may help you get started and know what is behind the existing TV.

You can watch the TV fine with the hold downs in place so I don't remove them until we are stopped for a while and want access to the storage area.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:23 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Here's a link to my front tv replacement for a different take on it.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/2003...ed-158329.html

I also did the back TV, but that was not as involved.

Scott
Old 11-19-2013, 12:22 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzerjump View Post
We are replacing the front TV in our 04 sightseer with a 32" LED flat screen. I have seen some of the links but most seemed to be from 09. Has anyone done this lately? We are putting in a full motion swivel mount so that the storage is accessible-need all storage we can get sometimes.

If you did one of the earlier posts I have seen have you been satisfied. I saw one where he put a notched board that the TV sits on but not sure how he gets the TV into notch as these mounts don't typically lift up. Does the TV tilt enough to get it out of the notch.

Pictures, instructions always appreciated-am not a wood worker so am challenged in that department. Thanks
I replaced my monster with a 39' flat screen. I don't know why so many think that the new TV must be small enough to fit inside the old box. Think "outside the box"!

Name:	image-356606239.jpg
Views:	1235
Size:	552.0 KB
ID:	50295

I added a vertical 12x12 (covered with black vinyl) and attached a regular TV mount to it. It wasn't easy but required a lot more imagination than skill.
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Did this on both of my older TV's. The front overhead TV I mounted on a swing -out arm so I could put my wireless printer behind it. Works great. it also allows for the TV to come out closer to the viewers or angled more toward the person that is viewing it either from the sofa or recliner. It was a job getting the old ones out, but well worth the effort.

20016 - Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite - 26BHS travel trailer
Gary G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon190 View Post
I replaced my monster with a 39' flat screen. I don't know why so many think that the new TV must be small enough to fit inside the old box. Think "outside the box"!

Attachment 50295

I added a vertical 12x12 (covered with black vinyl) and attached a regular TV mount to it. It wasn't easy but required a lot more imagination than skill.
I thought about going bigger than 32", too.. May still, but I have stuff in the cabinets so pulling out the TV would be necessary to get to the cabinets. Not a biggie unless you're on the road!

Scott
Old 11-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Thanks much to all who responded on the TV upgrade. Some of the links are new some I have looked at. I have the old TV out and a full motion mount purchased-now need to think through the final configuration as far as utilizing the space. Will probably end up with a mix of the ideas I have seen.

Also tried to tag the various cables and try to see where they go. Obviously there have been mods made to the original antenna wiring. I do get reception up front and in the rear from the antenna-just not sure what some of the other coax cables I have found do-time will tell.

Plan on using a portable dish and the DISH pay as you go option as we can't get dish at the house do to trees-we tried. I think the added cable that is wound up under the hood was probably used for that purpose and then plugged into the receiver that was probably on the left side of the coach in the overhead-always interesting. Just wish we had gotten coach sooner as winter and working in coach not always fun!!

Again thanks to all-really appreciate the info-Jazzerjump in Coeur d'Alene, ID
Old 11-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

Also tried to tag the various cables and try to see where they go. Obviously there have been mods made to the original antenna wiring. I do get reception up front and in the rear from the antenna-just not sure what some of the other coax cables I have found do-time will tell.
When I did my TV replacement I soldered a 9 volt battery to a coax cable connecter. I soldered the positive side of the battery to the center wire and the negative side of the battery to the shielding wire. I would screw the 9 volt battery onto the end of a wire at the TV and use a multimeter to check for voltage at the selector box end. I was able to find and mark most of my coax cables.

I couldn't find the selector box end of my outside coax cable so I ran a new cable so that I can connect a TV outside.

I also ran another coax cable from my coaches cable in connections to the selector box. I use DirecTV and a Carry Out antenna. I need two cable connections from my antenna if I want to record on my satellite box.

When I searched for my 32" TV, I measured the distance between the doors on either side and found a TV I liked that fit between the doors so that I didn't have to cut my doors for clearance. Some cut their doors and that works as well.

Good luck on your project.

JD
Old 11-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Thanks much to all who responded on the TV upgrade. Some of the links are new some I have looked at. I have the old TV out and a full motion mount purchased-now need to think through the final configuration as far as utilizing the space. Will probably end up with a mix of the ideas I have seen.

Plan on using a portable dish and the DISH pay as you go option as we can't get dish at the house do to trees-we tried. I think the added cable that is wound up under the hood was probably used for that purpose and then plugged into the receiver that was probably on the left side of the coach in the overhead-always interesting. Just wish we had gotten coach sooner as winter and working in coach not always fun!!

Again thanks to all-really appreciate the info-Jazzerjump in Coeur d'Alene, ID

I hear you about doing the conversion in winter. That's when I did mine. After I got the cabin warmed up, it was okay. One thing that I found extremely useful was the wiring diagram. It turned out that to get the front TV working with a tripod based dish, I had to remove only one cable from the selector switch. This spring I plan on getting a Travelr system. With that system I will be able to get the back TV on the satellite system by removing only one more cable from the selector.

Do try to get the wiring diagram.

Scott
Old 12-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Front TV replace

Thanks to all who replied on my TV replacement. It is done and working out great so far. Put in a 32" slim line on a full motion mount and converted the old space into storage-actually a liquor cabinet. Put Velcro straps top and bottom to help secure during travel. May still change that some and need to clean up the wiring. Came from the back instead of drilling through the side walls and will have to see how that works out for me. Have attached a few pictures
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TV1.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	51520   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV2.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	51521  

Name:	TV3.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	51522   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV5.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	51523  

Name:	TV6.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	51524  
Old 12-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Very nice
opbart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:41 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

LOL! Great job, and great..err.. storage!LOL!

Scott
Old 12-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

You did a great job. It looks very good. Thanks for posting results.

JD
Old 12-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I also used velcro straps for support while traveling.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:18 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkonu23 View Post
Here's a link to my front tv replacement for a different take on it.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/2003...ed-158329.html

I also did the back TV, but that was not as involved.

Scott
Scott, I thought I was happy with my 32" LCD install until I saw yours. Could you please tell me what brand your TV mount is? I think I'm going to change mine now. Does it make any noise while while going down the road?
cydonia-jacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydonia-jacc View Post
Scott, I thought I was happy with my 32" LCD install until I saw yours. Could you please tell me what brand your TV mount is? I think I'm going to change mine now. Does it make any noise while while going down the road?
Here's a link to the mount I have.

MorRyde TV1-021 TV Wall Mount | TVforMyRV.com

It's a bit overkill, but I wanted to be sure the TV wouldn't pop out while underway. It makes absolutely no noise. It's a great mount and doesn't have the problem other mounts may have in that articulating stays as tight as you want it to stay. I'm very impressed with it.

I hope this helps!

Scott

Tags
replace