Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2008, 06:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Anyone know how to make my front TV operate on the house batt.

Right now it only works when plugged in to shore power so I don't think its an ignition shut off because it wont even work off the battery.

Thanks for your help.

Kevin

Front & Rear Koni FSD's
Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:20 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Anyone know how to make my front TV operate on the house batt.

Right now it only works when plugged in to shore power so I don't think its an ignition shut off because it wont even work off the battery.

Thanks for your help.

Kevin

Front & Rear Koni FSD's
Old 06-09-2008, 06:27 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

The TV requires 120 volt ac t0 operate.
You will need to use an inverter which changes 12 dc to 120 vac. If your rig doesn't have one it can be added. An inexpensive one - $30 to $60 or so can be found at many places. BestBuy, Walmart and etc.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:49 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks that makes sense, my owners manual says it has an inverter but I have no idea where it is, maybe it not wired to that outlet?? I have to test the other outlets to see if they work.

Front & Rear Koni FSD's
Old 06-09-2008, 07:42 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

If you have one, it is probably in the overhead entertainemnt center where you have the TV switch box.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:55 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Greybeard:
Thanks that makes sense, my owners manual says it has an inverter but I have no idea where it is, maybe it not wired to that outlet?? I have to test the other outlets to see if they work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The built in inverter that I have for the entertainment center has an on/off switch so you don't have it running when its not needed.

In 2001 it was to the right of the front TV under the audio/video switch center.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:26 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Greybeard... I did not think the Vista came with a inverter.Perhaps you were able to order one as a option, or if not, it may be that you just do not have one.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:24 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Yah I think I'm thinking of a converter not inverter, man so much to learn.

The weird thing is I don't think the TV works off the generator either, anybody know how to bypass this???

Front & Rear Koni FSD's
Old 06-09-2008, 02:24 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Looking at the 2008 Vista Sales Brochure, an inverter is not listed as standard or as an option. However, that doesn't mean that options could not have changed. If you pull up your model schematics it should list the inverter on one of the coach wiring diagrams.
Frank O.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:37 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Kevin - not knowing how new you are to this RV and how much of a checkout your dealer gave you, let me give you a few basics... The specs for your unit do not list an automatic transfer switch (ATS). The ATS would automatically connect your generator to your power panel when you start the generator. Since you apparently don't have an ATS, there should be a 30A outlet back in your power compartment that is powered by the generator. Plug your shore power cord into this outlet and your whole RV should be powered just as if you were plugged into campground power. If you do have your cord plugged in and none of the AC stuff is powered up, check the output breaker on the generator.

My apologies if you already knew all this, but sometimes we just don't know what you know...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:30 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the replys guys, I re-checked the TV does work off the generator.

Now I have a question about inverters. If I was to put in an inverter for the TV & DVD player I want to go w/ pure sine one. Do I have to run new wires from the battery to the front where the TV is or can I use existing ones???

There is a cig outlet up there.....can I use those wires???

Front & Rear Koni FSD's
Old 06-10-2008, 03:22 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

You will need to check out the specs for your tv, especially the wattage. They make inverters that plug into cigarette lighters that have a 120v plug on the other end. (I use one for our lap top in the MHrated at 140W) Our coach has a 300W inverter and it runs the TV just fine so if you can find something in that range, it should be fine. Not sure about the access to you tv's power cord and plug, mines hidden behind the tv somewhere. You may check the wiring diagram for your coach, our factory installed inverter is wired to both the front tv and the bedroom tv outlet so I can run the bedroom tv off the inverter as well. I would imagine the wiring option is in your coach somewhere, you just need to do a little research to find it.
Indy Itasca is offline   Reply With Quote