Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2015, 08:45 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Front TV

I have taken the boat anchor out of the front TV console and looking at pretty much a square hole! I have a flat screen that is 22" but its lost in that hole. Has anyone bought replacement HD TV for this space?

I have a 2000 Itasca

A link to what model I need would be helpful if its not impossible/?

The square space I have is 25 x 21 tall
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

It would seem to me that if you measured the width of the hole then walked through any large television display assortment you would find something that fit better. After that it depends on how ambitious you feel and how handy you are with what tools you have handy or suppliers you want to pay for. I kind of like the hinged panel with the TV mounted on it and a gas strut or two to help lift and hold it to access the storage behind.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:09 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
It would seem to me that if you measured the width of the hole then walked through any large television display assortment you would find something that fit better. After that it depends on how ambitious you feel and how handy you are with what tools you have handy or suppliers you want to pay for. I kind of like the hinged panel with the TV mounted on it and a gas strut or two to help lift and hold it to access the storage behind.
Do you have pictures?
Old 11-16-2015, 09:24 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I used a Samsung 32" in my 2001 Winnebago Adventurer. Space between the cabinets with everything removed was 29 3/8" if i remember correctly, the TV is 29" wide, great TV plays movies, pictures and music easily from a thumb drive or USB hard drive.Model # is UN32EH4000 / UN32EH4050, this was 3 years ago already, newer models are full on smart TV's with lots more features if you have WIFI available.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

You can see pictures of my 32 inch TV installation HERE.

I made two sides, top, back and bottom out of 3/4 inch plywood.
Probably overkill but I wanted 3/4 on the right side where I installed the articulating arm for strength and I just wanted to buy one sheet of plywood.

The arm is held with two 1/4 inch bolts with fender washers under the nuts. The top one goes through the steel framework Winnebago uses around the cabinet.
I put the back piece of plywood in last so it could be easily removed to have access to the area behind the cabinet to run wires to the electronics in the cabinets on each side. (5 disc DVD/CD/Mp3 player, BlueRay DVD player, satellite receiver, Wilson cellphone amplifier, Wilson Trucker cellphone antenna downlead coax, and and Verizon aircard).

Before installing the plywood pieces I covered them with laminate flooring left over from my flooring project.

I had to trim about 1/4 inch off the cabinet doors on each side of the TV. A little Light Oak stain and some polyurethane varnish and you can't tell they were trimmed.

A couple of the pictures show what I used for the travel hold downs. I put some weather stripping on the back to protect the TV face.They (the pictures) aren't real good but they may help you get started and know what is behind the existing TV.

You can watch the TV fine with the hold downs in place so I don't remove them until we are stopped for a while and want access to the storage area.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Homeless be mindful that if you mount the new TV in the original opening that the speakers are not hidden. We mounted a board in the opening on an articulating arm. 32" LG HD TV. I mounted 1 1/2" velcro straps to the board to secure TV during travel. Sorry, no pics.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 01:28 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

After trying Velcro that failed and bungies that looked horrible, I got a "locking" tv mount that locks in place so you don't have to use Velcro or bungies to hold the TV in place. Took a bit of work to get the depth adjusted just right.. but now that it is done, TV locks in place for travel. Think I got it from either Amazon or Camping world.

Old 11-16-2015, 01:50 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Tv for My RV has a number of mounts and videos on how to mount a flat panel display in a RV.

Brad and Bonnie Morgan
2007 Monaco LaPalma
Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 11-16-2015, 02:00 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Here is the one Hugmongous posted: Amazon.com: Locking Cantilever TV Mount with 16.5" Arm Extension: Electronics (or very similar)

Looks pretty good.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 02:04 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I took a cheap and easy way out. Trimmed away the old plastic housing and mounted a 32" Westinghouse LED on a plywood insert. Just searched for tv's that would fit the opening. Put a piece of oak trim on the top. On the bottom I made a baffle out of heavy, black cardboard to fill the gap underneath and reflect the sound from the tv speakers. This space also makes a nice shelf for remotes. Not the best looking alteration, but not having to mess with the steel cage holding the tv was a factor.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:51 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNP99 View Post
I used a Samsung 32" in my 2001 Winnebago Adventurer. Space between the cabinets with everything removed was 29 3/8" if i remember correctly, the TV is 29" wide, great TV plays movies, pictures and music easily from a thumb drive or USB hard drive.Model # is UN32EH4000 / UN32EH4050, this was 3 years ago already, newer models are full on smart TV's with lots more features if you have WIFI available.
that's what we did on our 2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U although we chose a Sharp 32". the point is that a rectangular shaped TV will not fit into a square hole...some trimming will ne needed.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 02:57 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Before and after photos, got rid of all the plastic, mounted TV up against the ceiling. No more head banger, better view out the front! The metal tabs hanging down in the 3rd picture were trimmed off and the cover for the access hole sits flush with the rest of the cabinet bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	resized_IMG_1501.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	112097   Click image for larger version

Name:	resized_IMG_1507.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	112098  

Click image for larger version

Name:	resized_IMG_1549.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	112099   Click image for larger version

Name:	resized_IMG_1552.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	112100  

Old 11-16-2015, 04:21 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
2003 Adventurer here. I installed a 32" Samsung in ours although most 32" with a small bezel will fit between the cabinets. I cut a piece of paneling to fill the hole on the bottom so underneath is flat from one side of coach to the other. I wrapped it in vinyl, closest color match I could find to the existing vinyl. It's backed with 2x2 framing screwed to the wood cabinets on either side. Drilled a hole for the surround speaker and mounted it to the bottom of the panel.

Used the metal strap that held the old TV down. Cut one end off, screwed it to the metal cross member near the roof. Bottom is screwed to a 2x2 running side to side, part of the framework for the panel I installed. Backed it with a 2x2 to limit flexing and mounted an articulating mount to it.

Cutting the old metal frame loose was the hardest part of the project.
70ChevelleSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 04:24 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Before and after photos, got rid of all the plastic, mounted TV up against the ceiling. No more head banger, better view out the front! The metal tabs hanging down in the 3rd picture were trimmed off and the cover for the access hole sits flush with the rest of the cabinet bottom.
I see you trimmed off the bottom of the old metal frame. I cut it loose where it was welded to the upper cross member and removed the whole thing. Same end result either way I guess.
70ChevelleSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 04:42 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ChevelleSS View Post
I see you trimmed off the bottom of the old metal frame. I cut it loose where it was welded to the upper cross member and removed the whole thing. Same end result either way I guess.
Mine was not welded, but attached with screws. I used the sides of the original mount to make my mounting bracket.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:55 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

TV

Most people go to to much work and the end result looks early attic IMHO. I have done two MH's as follows. Remove boat anchor. Measure width "inside" and shop TV's that fit. Place in side using stand provided with TV. The space under is useful for placing remotes. To fill the space on top use any light wt wood to make a frame to fit and cover with black cloth before stapleing in place. To Keep TV from falling out on one installation I used double back tape on the inside of cabinet and the TV never moved over about 25000 miles. On the other installation I inserted a screw through the bottom of the TV stand (already had a hole in the stand). It also has never moved. (About 3 yrs & 8000 miles) People that see it always say "It looks factory". The black cloth on top is the same color as new TV frames and appears to be a speaker! Also this installation does not block sound from your new TV. I would post pictures but sorry "I am not that computer literate". Just a farm boy that tries to solve problems the "simple and cheap but effective way".
02rld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 05:11 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02rld View Post
Most people go to to much work and the end result looks early attic IMHO. I have done two MH's as follows. Remove boat anchor. Measure width "inside" and shop TV's that fit. Place in side using stand provided with TV. The space under is useful for placing remotes. To fill the space on top use any light wt wood to make a frame to fit and cover with black cloth before stapleing in place. To Keep TV from falling out on one installation I used double back tape on the inside of cabinet and the TV never moved over about 25000 miles. On the other installation I inserted a screw through the bottom of the TV stand (already had a hole in the stand). It also has never moved. (About 3 yrs & 8000 miles) People that see it always say "It looks factory". The black cloth on top is the same color as new TV frames and appears to be a speaker! Also this installation does not block sound from your new TV. I would post pictures but sorry "I am not that computer literate". Just a farm boy that tries to solve problems the "simple and cheap but effective way".
We need pictures!!
Old 11-16-2015, 05:25 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

We did the same as GNP99. Removed the TV and then cut off the metal tub leaving enough metal to work with to attach some wood to build a box and for the TV mounting hardware.

Yes it was a pain. Had to use a Sawzall and a Jig saw with metal blades but the view out the front now made it all worthwhile! It takes off years of looking dated.

I like my TV as much as anyone else but love not seeing it hang down below the front cabinets more than a couple of inches.

Will try to get some pics later this week.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:12 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

t v update

I got rid of all the plastic. Took a sawzall and sawed all the hanging down metal away. I then mounted a 3/4 piece of plywood to both metal edges of the adjoining cabinet. took 4 studs anmounted the tv to plywood. then made a masonite panel to cover the lower hole and covered it with vinyl. its flush from side to side. the tv only hangs down 2 in below cabinets and overlaps the cabinet frame by about an inch on each side. I used a 32 in Vizio
Dsrtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 08:34 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Lots of ideas here

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote