Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2020, 11:32 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

FM Antennae Replacement

Winnebago is still using this antennae which is discussed in a older post. I tried to post to that thread but it is to old to post to.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...HQZHG16D&psc=1

Mine broke off over the winter while under the cover. I had concerns about it from the start but it was caulked all the way up over the adjusting ball and I didn't want to disturb it. I can replace the head of the antennae and move on. The problem is I had to cut the caulking around ball to access the broken part and access to screw to adjust it down and I am worried about water intrusion. Also when adjusting the antennae down Winnebago mounted it so that it points to the side of the motor home over top of the awning.

I am installing a MaxxAir vent when I get a break in the weather here in PA and I have enough Dicor and Butyl tape to do this too so I thought I would clean the old caulk off and mount it to adjust towards the rear of motor home. I know Winnebago uses silicone caulk and that I have to clean everything well to get new caulk to stick so I might just purchase a new antennae.

So do I reinstall the old antennae or purchase something like this and mount it inside.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

I think I have room inside around where the antennae goes through the roof. I was thinking I would seal it up the hole through the roof and be somewhat done with it.

Any thoughts out there?
Old 04-26-2020, 01:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I'm not sure I get the total picture of what you are wanting to line differently as I think of this type antennas as working bast when straight up. Easy and simple for me whn replacing my attena was to buy just the whip and screw it on the existing base without disturbing the sealing around the base. Does your whip unscrew just above the set screw and does the set screw and seal let you just aim the whip straight up?
That would be my choice both for best operation and ease and expense.
I've lost track of where but somewhere on E-bay was my source for the whip at like $5-6?
Point to check would be how the whip screws onto the base for size and type.
Second point might be on the inside option. Since many of the frames are metal in an RV, inside has more problems with getting the best signal inside, so that would be my last option to try. Reason for cars to be mounted outside? Metal does block signals.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 03:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Yea, I guess I was wondering about mounting antennae inside and how it would work. I just wanted to throw it out there to see if anyone has done anything different.
Old 04-26-2020, 06:26 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Our dingleberry P.O of our Sunstar removed the AM/FM antenna from the center of the eyebrow roof and sealed the hole. I think it was because they installed a Pioneer infotainment system and had Sirius/XM.

Luckily, all of the wiring was intact behind the overhead cabinets. I bought a replacement Magnadyne antenna and installed it.

Your description;
Quote:
I had to cut the caulking around ball
concerns me. This is a typical response to a leak on something that was not installed correctly in the first place. On our Sunstar, found 3 or 4 layers of different household caulk trying the seal things that were improperly installed.

The only 2 places that antenna should need sealing are:

Between the base gasket and the roof surface with a non-hardening products like butyl tape or Tacky Tape.

And, then, if you are a belt and suspenders person, run a bead of self-leveling Dicor around the joint between the antenna base and the roof.

The ball joint shouldn't need sealing.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:38 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Just replace the broken part and remove the antenna whip covering the base with a solid rubber ball cut in half with a hole drilled in the middle or a block of Styrofoam packaging when putting the cover on it.

Odd that its mounted sideways since your supposed to mount it so if it strikes anything while driving it will fold flat forward or back.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:07 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have 3 of the rubber mast type antennas on my Adventurer. Replaced one with a replacement from Winnebago and then discovered most Wally worlds sell the same antenna. The rubber mast just unscrews from the base.
Jakm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:35 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I'm getting my 3 year old FM antenna replaced in July at the factory. I'll be curious as to what they replace it with as the original one didn't last too long especially since the 36G was always under a covered storage unit.
jimpav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 10:33 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I had the same issue with the broken whip on my 2011 40U Journey. It is rather easy to unscrew the old whip and just screw on the new one - BUT - make sure you take care to secure the screw base when you take the old one off! On my rig, they have the base below a sheet metal "washer" and the screw stud sticks up. If you just unscrew the old one without securing it, the base/screw stud will descend into the space between the roof and the ceiling inside. Trust me, you do not want that to happen!
Kevinbrown01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 11:34 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Our 2018 2500RL Minnie had the same issue with the antenna. Our is chrome however and looks longer than the black one shown in the Amazon link. I was told just put the cover over it but I wanted to lower it by loosening the set screw. But then it stuck over the side of the trailer. So the next summer before we replaced the bathroom fan, I practiced by unscrewing the three antenna screws. I rotated the antenna and used butyl tape underneath and lap sealing all around. Now the set screw is facing me when I am on the ladder. We don't raise the antenna up at a full ninety degree, but leave it angled back a little. I don't understand why they are not all mounted this way in the factory.
kclmmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 06:58 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We went camping over the weekend to get out of the house, it was awesome. It snowed, my water filter froze over night, had satellite dish issues, and lost power for a few minutes. It was still better than sitting in the house.

I received a new Magnadyne antennae from Amazon Friday and plan to install it when the weather cooperates. I agree kclmmck, I thought someone messed up on mine but maybe Winnebago does this on purpose. I could have just replaced the head of the antennae but I want to mount it how I want it and reseal around the base.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:38 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I finally was able to get my new antennae installed. The original was loose under the factory caulking. I found the extension was not fully tightened from the factory.
I used butyl tape and Dicor for the new install. I did use Goo Gone silicone caulk remover on this installation and it worked better than, mineral spirits, acetone, or denatured alcohol.
I've attached a few pictures and thanks for all the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1825.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	173519   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1826.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	173520  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1828.JPG