Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-20-2011, 10:27 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Flat TV mount

Replaced both TVs in our Sightseer. The bedroom one just sits in it's pedestal when we're stopped and I lay it on it's back on a cushion when we're driving. It has it better than I do!
The main TV is another story. I installed an oak-faced piece of 3/4" plywood to mount the TV to and am using a house mount to mount the TV.
There is a lot of "slack" in that mount and the TV rattles badly while we're under way. I have bungees to hold it, but I'm still so afraid that it will rattle loose that we've taken to un-mounting it and laying it on the bed while we drive.
Is there a mount made for RV's that hold the TV securely?
n9iui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Why not re-engineer a little. Pull the 3/4" plywood and put a piano hinge at the top and a couple of cabinet latches at the bottom. Then bolt your TV directly to the 3/4" plywood. You may need to put some foam behind the TV if it is not flat against the plywood.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:30 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Here are some pictures of how I mounted mine.

You can see pictures of my 32 inch TV installation HERE.

Winnebago uses a steel cage in the cabin area made of rectangular steel tubing. The steel framework for the overhead cabinet is attached to it.

I made two sides, top, back and bottom out of 3/4 inch plywood.
Probably overkill but I wanted 3/4 on the right side where I installed the articulating arm for strength and I just wanted to buy one sheet of plywood.

The arm is held with two 1/4 inch bolts with fender washers under the nuts. The top one goes through the steel framework Winnebago uses around the cabinet.
I put the back piece of plywood in last so it could be easily removed to have access to the area behind the cabinet to run wires to the electronics in the cabinets on each side. (5 disc DVD/CD/Mp3 player, receiver amplifier, satellite receiver, Wilson cellphone amplifier, Wilson Trucker cellphone antenna downlead coax, and and Verizon aircard).

Before installing the plywood pieces I covered them with laminate flooring left over from my flooring project. I stole that idea from pace89. If you search for his user name he has a good post showing what he did.

I had to trim about 1/4 inch off the cabinet doors on each side of the TV. A little Light Oak stain and some polyurethane varnish and you can't tell they were trimmed.

A couple of the pictures show what I used for the travel hold downs. I put some weather stripping on the back to protect the TV face.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:33 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

See if any of these would work RV TV Mounts
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:48 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

When I replaced my front one with a LCD that had a pedestal. I just ran some wood screws through the pedestal and it has never moved.

The new bedroom LCD one was to big to fit inside the old cabnit. So a swing out mount was bolted to the inside right side to hold it. It doesn't rattle that I can hear. And doesn't move.

Just a few weeks ago I replaced the 32" on the entertainment center across from the couch that was held down with those TV Grips. With a 42" 3D Led. It has a skinny 4 leg pedestal.
So screws were used on them to hold it down.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:57 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I'm not sure just what the dimension were of your previous 24" set, but this thread shows how I replaced the original 24" Sony in my Vectra with a 32" flat panel: Front LCD TV install in 2005 Vectra (Long)

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:06 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2000 Adventurer and a 32" Motorola LED fit between the cabinets perfectly. I mounted ours using 4 turnbuckles, 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom. The 2 at the top pull the unit to the celing, and the 2 at the bottom secure it at the bottom of the cabinets. Tilting the TV down keeps everything secure and tight with no wiggle or vibration at all. Total cost of install about 6 bucks as I recall. I made a bottom cover to fill the opening with stuff we had in the garage. By leaving a small hand sized opening we can use the inputs/outputs available behind the TV.
Piledrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:12 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Try MOR/ryde They have several mounts made for RV's that lock.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote