Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2018, 09:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

EZPass question View 24Vs

Hi all....newbie and her hubby here.
First simple question. Where are you folks with Winnebago View 24Vs placing your EZ PASS? I held mine up high on the windshield on the way home from the dealer...no adhesive yet...and it worked getting on the thruway , but not getting off. 🤔 Appreciate some ideas.
Catskillgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have a Class A with a big windshield. I put mine on the bottom just left of center. So far so food.
I got mine from North Carolina and I called them and they sent me another set of Velcro stickies. You can also by the Scotch stickies of the same quality.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:55 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

eZ pass question

Thank you for the reply Wayne. I just contacted EZ pass and they registered both tolls....a whopping .29 cents for each. Looks like my EZ pass will work from the upper center of windshield after all.
Catskillgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:08 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

p.s., the nice person I spoke with indicated that having the EZ-Pass transponder (big one) and rthe sticker on the TOAD that there is a possibility of being double charged. I just switch the big transponder between vehicles.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 09:18 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I put my EzPass transponder in the lower middle of my Class A windshield. I'm not sure where I would put it on the Navion but it might be lower center again as I have a MobilEye system that mounts at the top center.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:24 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

EZ pass

Funny, we drove down from Westchester to Southern Jersey last week and it was pot luck which toll area read our EZ Pass. We also have an 18 Navion V with the pass leaning on the front windshield shade guide on the bottom. Last week we traveled from Newburgh to Kingston and the pass was read getting on the thruway but not getting off. Then comming back read both ways. Can't wait to see the EZ Pass statement when it comes....lol. Where are you in the Catskills? We're in Pine Hill.

Andrew
Hamptongar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:41 PM   #7
ej1
2018 Navion 24V

I have the big one from NC and mounted it on the top of the front license plate mount. Seems to work fine. I heard if you have one mounted on the top of the windshield there may be interference from the overhead cab/front cap.
ej1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:56 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Make sure you have your license plate number recorded properly on EZ-Pass site. When the transponder does not record, they will use the plate number from the picture taken and process the toll. Done. Unrecorded plate number- nasty letter and fine! In the future, they will do away with transponders and only use photos of plates. Florida is currently going to this. (Toll-By-Plate)
bertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:35 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catskillgal View Post
First simple question. Where are you folks with Winnebago View 24Vs placing your EZ PASS? I held mine up high on the windshield on the way home from the dealer...no adhesive yet...and it worked getting on the thruway , but not getting off. 🤔 Appreciate some ideas.
I have mine centered on the windshield about 2 inches off of the dash. Don't put it high, as you would in your car. The readers may not get the correct signal from your EZPass.
DGundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:57 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej1 View Post
I have the big one from NC and mounted it on the top of the front license plate mount. Seems to work fine. I heard if you have one mounted on the top of the windshield there may be interference from the overhead cab/front cap.
I've heard the same.

We have ours mounted low and in the center.

We avoid toll roads like the plague, but the few times we've been through an EZ-Pass toll out transponder worked.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:35 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

We put are Sunpass and EZpass at lower middle of our class A windshield
uguefran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:07 PM   #12
Retired Sailor and Wench

What states use the EZPass system? We are in Texas and the TXTollTax is good for toll roads in Texas and Oklahoma.
Tailhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:27 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailhooker View Post
What states use the EZPass system? We are in Texas and the TXTollTax is good for toll roads in Texas and Oklahoma.
We live in Maryland but have the I-PASS. The E-ZPass and I-PASS are compatible:

"You can use it on the Illinois Tollway. You do not need both an I-PASS and E-ZPass. The E-ZPass Interagency Group (IAG) consists of 27 member agencies in 16 states that use the same technology and allow travelers to use the same transponder on toll roads throughout the network."

https://www.illinoistollway.com/toll...on/about-ipass

Here is a color-coded map that shows where E-ZPass/I-PASS will work:
E-ZPass Group - Where can I use it?

Not sure about the TXTollTax.

I believe we're looking at a VHS vs Betamax type showdown.

No point in having ONE (1) nationwide system. That would be way to easy.

Or better yet, stick with the tried and true motor fuel tax. That worked for decades.

Quick question:

I-70 and I-80 thru the Midwest are almost identical highways built on very similar terrain, yet one (I-70) can be maintained with fuel tax revenues while the other (I-80) is apparently so expensive to maintain that to requires *both* the fuel tax dollars and tolls to keep it from falling apart. Why is that?
Old 07-05-2018, 06:32 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
I put my EzPass transponder in the lower middle of my Class A windshield. I'm not sure where I would put it on the Navion but it might be lower center again as I have a MobilEye system that mounts at the top center.
X2. We sat the transponder on the dash, center, windshield on our Sunstar. Would probably place it on the dash centered in the N24V. It seemed to work fine in that placement.
Interesting point made Wayne M. - about double charges if you have 2 transponders for your tow/towed vehicles. We got 1 each for our coach and towed, and when we traveled through "EZ Pass" country last year, we thought our charges were unusually high. We had both transponders up front on both vehicles because the documentation on their website is confusing to say the least when towing in an RV. We thought we had to use both transponders when towing.
Will try using just one next time, and see what happens. Thanks.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:45 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Yes, your toad transponder should go into the shielded bag and be put away. You can get double charges if you used both. EZ-Pass normally sets up a motorhome pass in a different class than a car. This class assumes that you are towing so your toad is accounted for. If you take your toad out for a trip that involves a toll road, be sure you unwrap it and stick it on the windshield.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:19 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Yes, your toad transponder should go into the shielded bag and be put away. You can get double charges if you used both. EZ-Pass normally sets up a motorhome pass in a different class than a car. This class assumes that you are towing so your toad is accounted for. If you take your toad out for a trip that involves a toll road, be sure you unwrap it and stick it on the windshield.
DOH!!! I guess that would explain it. Will give it a try next time out through the eastern toll routes.
Our passes are actually from Illinois, because it was the easiest one to set up online, so I guess technically we have I-Pass transponders. They certainly worked in OH, NY, MA, NH, CT, and ME. I tried to figure out, and looked at a few other state EZ Pass websites, like NY, and couldn't get it to work online, and the phone lines were always "experiencing higher than usual call volumes".
Thanks for the reminder about remembering to unwrap and carry the toad transponder if we use it separately. That's why we got it.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:03 AM   #17
Rnh
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catskillgal View Post
So, where do you mount it on a Minnie Winnie? Big overhang on ours. Thinking about having my bride wave it out the window.......
Rnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 05:23 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Mine only clears front roof line when it is laying on dash at bottom middle of windshield
PJTroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:09 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Is the toll the same for a class C with dual wheels in the back as it is for a car? Did you have to get a different transponder for the RV? thank you for any help. I can't find the answer anywhere using Google.
MinnieSews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 03:57 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
We have 2 transponders, EZPass NY, for our motorhome. One is 2 axle, 6 tires; the other is for the MH and toad together. Ny has special rates for RVs, i.e. NOT commercial. Definitely remove the one that is the toad to the shielded bag while being towed.
Phil-T is offline   Reply With Quote