Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

I had the same problem with this coach. I had a ghost noise and could not locate it. I finally figured out that the radio outside was on and tuned to static. How did that happen? It happened a couple more times. Hummm. I had been relocating the remote controls and the way I had stored the radio remote was the problem. The buttons were hitting the side of the cabinet. I now store it so that the remote is stable and the buttons are not disturbed. No more problems. But, the external switch or door jam switch is not a bad idea.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:29 AM   #22
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by pace89 View Post
The external Radio on our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35 N turns on by itself. After positevly insuring the Radio is off it continually turns on by itself with the volume low. Since it is out of warranty my solution was to install an on/off switch at the radio location. If interested in my solution photos at: Picasa Web Albums - Maurice Therrien
Hi Terry,

Thanks for the radio pics. I was looking at your TV installation looks great love the bar!!!! Do you secure the TV when traveling?

Thanks
Matt
Old 01-13-2015, 08:55 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Hi Chris - I know this is very old but my radio has been coming on lately particularly right after generator is shut down. Did some research and found this thread. At about the same time I have been having some ignition switch problems - hard to turn off - and now if coach sits for a few days in campground my electric locks automatically engage when I start up the motorhome. So if the external radio is tied into ACC/IGN wire (is that the starting switch?) then is it possible these two problems are connected? Not sure you can answer but would love to kill two birds with one stone. I am guessing I have a faulty ignition switch? I just want to be fully prepared when I head into the service bay.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:07 PM   #24
Winnebago Watcher

It's the NSA LOL
Justwinginit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:58 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by chigginsct View Post
Hi Chris - I know this is very old but my radio has been coming on lately particularly right after generator is shut down. Did some research and found this thread. At about the same time I have been having some ignition switch problems - hard to turn off - and now if coach sits for a few days in campground my electric locks automatically engage when I start up the motorhome. So if the external radio is tied into ACC/IGN wire (is that the starting switch?) then is it possible these two problems are connected? Not sure you can answer but would love to kill two birds with one stone. I am guessing I have a faulty ignition switch? I just want to be fully prepared when I head into the service bay.
About the radio... My above post has a revision. I now remove the radio face plate and store it in the box provided. I found the problem started reappearing. It turns out that the lock on the entertainment center is hitting the power switch when the door is closed. Other than doing the above posted modification this is the other best solution. In truth I think I never solved it the first time. I only found one of the problems. But now, no radio controls to be hit means no turning the radio on.

Hard to shut off? Is the switch hard to turn or does the engine continue to run after you go to the off position?

About the locks... By chance is this a feature that should have been working all along?

I look forward to the rest of your story.

Rick Y
Old 01-14-2015, 09:10 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by chigginsct View Post
The external radio isn't actually tied into the coach ACC/IGN circuit. That wire from the radio just goes to +12V along with the PWR lead. (If it were installed inside in a car it would go to the ignition, but not in our usage.) By adding an external switch at the radio for that lead you can ensure that the external radio won't turn on due to power fluctuations in the 12 volt feed, but still maintain all of your presets, etc.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:20 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

radio turns on by itself

Thank you all for the help. Seem like a switch is the best answer. Would be nice if Winnebago would put out a work around to its customers since this is such a prevalent and consistent issue. At least Jensen stepped up to the plate a bit in their post.