Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2007, 11:23 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

I've searched the forum and can't find very much on this topic but it's something which has me concerned.

I have added a Tivo unit to the entertainment cabinet on my new Ellipse 40FD and it gets quite hot inside the cabinet. I'd like to add some venting and a cooling fan but am looking for advice from someone who may have already addressed this problem.

Any opinions???

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:23 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I've searched the forum and can't find very much on this topic but it's something which has me concerned.

I have added a Tivo unit to the entertainment cabinet on my new Ellipse 40FD and it gets quite hot inside the cabinet. I'd like to add some venting and a cooling fan but am looking for advice from someone who may have already addressed this problem.

Any opinions???

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 08-20-2007, 11:55 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Rick, I know I've read some threads where folks describe putting the small box fans in the area for cooling...if not here on IRV2 maybe on another forum.

Anyway, would think you could install a 12v box fan and replace the smoked glass in the cabinet doors with some mesh that would allow air movement.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:17 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I agree with need for augmented electronics/entertainment Center cooling..especially during summer months. I just returned from trip to FL and I believe my CD changer got cooked in that heat...in that overhead electronics compartment. I like the decorative mesh idea. Other alternative is to leave compartment doors open while using entertainment components.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:04 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Heres a LINK to what some have done to cool there electronics.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:36 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Above our TV in the 40AD floor plan is the VHS/DVD player and our R10 DirecTV-DVR (Tivo) unit in a cabinet. The volume of the space is reasonably large and while the area gets warm, it has never been warm enough to cause alarm.

In our over the dash cabinet above the copilot seat lives the King Dome control unit and our Datastorm dish positioner, Hughes satellite modem, and wireless router. When the jacks are down, all of the equipment is powered on and I simply open a door for convection cooling.

Keeping the gear reasonably cool is a prudent thing to do. I would say anything under 90 degrees is good for the long run.

My area of concern is the electrical bay with our expensive Xantrex RS2000 inverter/charger. When we are on the road, our inverter is putting out 150-700 watts and the compartment has gotten to 120 degrees in the summer which is right at the maximum operating limit for the Xantrex. I need to address this heat problem for the preservation of my Xantrex unit.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 02:58 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Thanks to all for the rapid suggestions. I especially like the idea of replacing the glass on the doors with some sort of mesh. I might even get away without a fan with that approach which would save me from the additional noise the fan would create.

I've been leaving the doors open but the perfectionist in me just doesn't like the looks of that.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 08-20-2007, 04:43 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Rick

You can replace the front glass with the wire mesh and that will give you some additional cooling. I have replaced my up front TV with a flat panel LCD. When I did the replacement, I drilled some 2 1/2 inch holes in the sides of the TV area (behind the LCD so they are not visible. I have been thinking of mounting some 12 volt computer fans (ball bearing types) in these holes using a rubber gasket to absorbe the minimum vibration they create. If I do this, I will add a switch in the cabinet area to turn the fan(s) on. By which side (of the fans against the wood) you mount the fans, you can either direct the air from behind the TV to the cabinet or you can pull the air from the cabinet (thereby pulling air in through the screen) and, on my MH, there is a large hole in the front (facing the windshield) where the air exit from the TV area. This is the access hole behind the old TV and I think for some air flow. I already have a 120 to 12 volt converter/inverter (never could keep the name straight) in the cabinet for my satellite dish so the 12 volt source is not a problem. A picture showing the holes is located on the phote page under my name.

Just a thought to ponder.