Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Unhappy DVD Question

I have a 2000 Adventurer and would like to know if the DVD player can be used while traveling on the road. I have been through the manual to find nothing on the subject. Would the generator need to be running?

Thanks for your input.
buzzyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The Generator or the Inverter would need to be on for AC. There is usually a +12 VDC interlock on the TV power outlet that disconnects it while the key is on and that would need to be defeated as well. But be aware if the TV is where the driver can see it, it's illegal to have it on while driving.

Dick
Old 09-12-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzyb View Post
I have a 2000 Adventurer and would like to know if the DVD player can be used while traveling on the road. I have been through the manual to find nothing on the subject. Would the generator need to be running?

Thanks for your input.
Hi buzzyb,
If there are two plugs near where your TV plugs in, try one with the ignition on, if it does not work try the other one. One of them usually has the interlock and the other one doesn't. Hope this helps you out.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post
The Generator or the Inverter would need to be on for AC. There is usually a +12 VDC interlock on the TV power outlet that disconnects it while the key is on and that would need to be defeated as well. But be aware if the TV is where the driver can see it, it's illegal to have it on while driving.

Dick
Correct, it is illegal and unsafe for YOU to watch TV while your rig is in motion but if you have one of the overhead head bangers and you would like to have it on for the kids that should be ok.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Old 09-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

They make small (7-9-10 inch) DVD players that run on 12vdc, Those work great for the kids in the back, or for the spouse, without being a distraction to the driver. Epically if used with headsets (Boise noise canceling work great).

That said, the DVD player in my coach can run on either inverter or battery parked or moving,, But the front TV is OFF when moving.. The rear TV works as do the portables and I can strap a portable in the swivel (Do not sit here when moving) chair and use it for folks sitting in the back. I installed both RF and 12 volt outlets in that area too, Just so I could do that.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:23 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the great input. Your help is appreciated.

Buzzyb
Old 09-16-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thumbs up Thanks again for your input...

I do have an overhead head banger so the TV viewing would be done by any passengers.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

The overhead "head banger" is normally disabled by the ignition interlock because the driver can, possibly, see it. (I'd get a sore neck but hey...)

So you might try a portable behind the driver somewhere.. In my case the "Euro Swivel Chair" comes to mind since people are not supposed to sit there and I put an connection for a TV right next to it as one of my mods to this house.

But I only point this out cause I used to work for the Police (NOT an officer though) and I know for a fact they have issued a ticket for "Driver able to see TV" type offense.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddawgs View Post
Correct, it is illegal and unsafe for YOU to watch TV while your rig is in motion but if you have one of the overhead head bangers and you would like to have it on for the kids that should be ok.
Todd
If it can be SEEN by the driver it's illegal for it to be on, not just being watched by the driver here in WA state.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:57 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

My last motorhome did not have video capabilty, so I retrofitted a portable dvd player that I hardmounted and wired into the ceiling in the headbanger position. It was on a swivel, so that it doubled as a 13" color back up monitor. This worked really well, and only cost $90 at walmart. I purchased a $60 back up camera off of Ebay stores from China, and ran a coax cable. I also plumbed the audio into my reciever/amplifier, wich distrubuted sound through multiple speaker zones throughout the coach.

I am now shopping for a replacement motorhome, having just sold my last one. For my next motorhome, I am considering these Jensen components:

Jensen 12 volt DC 22” lcd tv: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3872.m570.l1313&_nkw=Jensen+22%22+ 12+Volt+TV&_sacat=0
Jensen AWM975 12 volt DC wall mount tuner/dvd: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=jensen+awm975

The Jensen reciever/dvd player runs on 12 volts DC, as does the tv. The player also has multiple inputs jacks and formats, and it has three zones speaker selector swithces built in.

I think that the elctronics should be 12 volts DC when possible, as then they are most compatible with the engines alternator output and house battery. Your converter will keep the house battery nourished when parked. This simplifies the installation, and eliminates the need for running the generator or inverter in order to watch tv or a movie.

Cheers,
Rick
Rludtke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:20 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
If it can be SEEN by the driver it's illegal for it to be on, not just being watched by the driver here in WA state.
Hi Mr D,
I agree with you, the drivers job is to drive. In all of the class A's I have been in, if the driver is properly seated in the driver's seat and facing forward he can not see the
overhead TV. Now if you wanted to try a bit of contorsionism you try to watch it while you were driving but this is both unsafe for you, your passengers, and anyone else on the road as well as being a stupid thing to do. While it may be illegal in yours and many other states I have never heard of anyone getting ticketed for it. I do still think if you wanted to pop in a dvd for the rear passengers that is ok as long as you remember that your job is to drive.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Old 09-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Please note to all your great responses that I have no intention of watching the TV while driving. It would simply be for the enjoyment of passengers during travel.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:12 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzyb View Post
Please note to all your great responses that I have no intention of watching the TV while driving. It would simply be for the enjoyment of passengers during travel.
I traveled with my family since my kids were very young. In-flight movies played an important part of our travels, as it entertained the kids, and prevented motion sickness. We typicaly measured our trip lengths in movies.
Cheers,
Rick
Rludtke is offline   Reply With Quote