Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-07-2021, 04:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Double regulator

I bought a hose to use the propane from my RV directly to my grill. When hooked up it barely put out any gas at all. My friend said there is a dbl regulator and I need to remove one. The one on the grill I need because it's the controller for the grill. Is there a way to remove the one in the RV?
Grimmy3290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 06:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

The simple answer is "No", you can't remove the regulator on your RV. I assume you're trying to connect to a "quick connect" LPG fitting on your RV, which get's it's LPG " "downstream" from the RV's regulator. The regulator is necessary to supply LPG to your RV's appliances at the proper pressures. There are solutions but they differ depending on your RV, primarily motorhome vs. travel trailer. A motorhome has a permanently installed tank while a travel trailer will have removable tanks.

Let us know what you have and we can help you out. Not only is it a good idea to put the details of your RV (Make/Model/Year) in your profile but you should also set up a signature block similar to mine so it's always there anytime you post. You do this via the User CP (User Control Panel) in the toolbar.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 06:12 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

17 Winnebago vista lx 35b
Old 07-07-2021, 07:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmy3290 View Post
17 Winnebago vista lx 35b
OK, now that we know it's a motorhome, your best solution will be to install an Extend-A-Stay, or similar fitting to your LPG tank between the tank valve and your regulator. Although primarily created to connect an external tank to your MH's tank for additional LPG supply, the Extend-A-Stay device also provides a high pressure outlet to which you can connect a hose for a BBQ, camp stove or similar appliance that has its own regulator.

Here's a video that shows the installation process:

Amazon and other vendors sell the Extend-A-Stay and its clones for sale with and without the necessary hoses. Note that the hose you purchased probably isn't the hose you need.

There are pros and cons about tapping into your RV for LPG to run your BBQ including being limited as to location and having a hose that's a trip hazard. Another is to prematurely deplete your onboard LPG supply.

Personally, I have a small, 5lb LPG tank that I use for my camp stove and BBQ along with a propane distribution post (or tree) that allows multiple connections:

https://www.amazon.com/Stansport-Out...da65b6_p_2_t_p

That way, I don't depend on the small 1lb propane bottles and can put my BBQ and stove anywhere I want it.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 10:11 PM   #5

OP: What type of RV do you have? ...Please add that description to your signature so it will appear below all your posts.

Are you trying to connect to a Coleman BBQ? ...I ask, because that bbq regulator requires 15+ PSI in order for the bbq to light; and the problem is that your RV regulator only puts out 12-13PSI.

I ran into this problem just last month and after much effort I finally got my outdoor Coleman Excursion BBQ to work off the RV big LP tank.

The job would have been 10x easier if I knew what to do before I started. So I wrote this thread so other people know the difference between tapping into your high pressure side (before the RV regulator) is different than tapping into the LP gas line after the RV regulator.

Note: My LP fill is on the driver's side, but if your LP fill is on the passenger side, then you may be able to use the Extenda-Stay LP Kit as mentioned above so you can tap into the high pressure side of the LP gas line.

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ys-361472.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coleman RoadTrip XLE Grill (Better Burners).jpg
Views:	63
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	180024  
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 05:18 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

My tank is front left and I want to grill right rear so the hose becomes non practical. I have quick connect right rear where it should be. I may have to get a new grill that has controls that are separate from the regulator.
Old 07-09-2021, 05:24 AM   #7
Just Trying to Help

Grimmy3290-

Torjik offers a number of adapters that allow you to modify the grill you own to work on low-pressure quick-connects. Here is a link to a page that sells Torjik adapters for popular Blackstone, Coleman and Weber grills.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 01:08 PM   #8

Grimmy3290: How about getting some 3/8" Soft copper tubing and fishing if from the front to the back.

In my RV I used soft copper to go from the left side to the right side. So you just need a $15 flaring tool and more copper pipe.

If your line is low pressure (<15PSI) then most any ball valve will work, but if you have high pressure (125PSI-200PSI) then you need to be sure you buy a ball valves marked 600PSI on the side. (Note: The color of the handles is not standardized.) ...So, don't just use any ball valve made for Natural or LP Gas!!!

Note: With low pressure your gas in the line will also be turned off when you turn your LP tank "off" from inside the coach.

So, while I like my Coleman High Pressure Gas grill, I have to says I'm not that fond of routing a high pressure gas line just so the 15PSI regulator in the Coleman bbq can work. And before I travel. I always turn off the gas by crawling under my slideout so I can turn off the High Pressure gas line I installed.

In the picture below the High Pressure BBQ tap is on the left of the RV regulator and the Low Pressure BBQ tap is on the right.

* Also, don't be surprised if you have to replace that curved gas line if it's old, dry, and brittle. And when you do you MUST use the right high pressure hose you can only find at a LP store or you maybe able to order on Amazon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4b High Pressure BBQ Tap befor regulator.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	180070   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Tap-in After RV regulator - Low Pressure Side.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	180071  

imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 01:24 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Sine you have the quick connect as well as cutoff at the point where you want to use the grill, I would never consider running new but find it much more direct to adapt or replace the grill as the cheaper, easier and safer option.

Basic idea is that any gas item can only use one reg in the line. In your case, you have a low pressure reg at the tank, so any additional reg will make the pressure too low, so avoiding the second reg is the more direct option.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 04:31 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I agree, the extend a stay is your best option. Easy to install and serves the purpose you're looking for.
Westonbum is offline   Reply With Quote