Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2018, 02:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Dish Network Order of operations

Hello All,

I have a question on how you connect to a satellite. I seem to have a problem connecting everytime that I go out that I find myself not using the system as it is a pain [moderator edit] to connect. Takes a minimum of 45 minutes and a phone call to dish.

My system is a king rover KD 1500 satellite. This came with RV. I matched it up with a Dish vip 211z receiver.

First I establish power, then I turn on the satellite system. Turn on receiver, and here is where everything goes wrong. I input my location and have it go through the checks and no satellite is found. Unplug receiver, unplug satellite, Plug back in and go through the whole process again. this time I get channels but only the Pay per view and adult stuff. Call dish for help. Do the exact same steps on the phone with dish. Fails again and do the same process again and sometimes I get some more channels but not all.

This is my process to getting satellite tv. Heaven forbid you have a power interruption and have to start all over again. This process is an hour and a half with 45 minutes on the phone with dish.

This last time Dish had me unplug the coaxial cable from the receiver and had it go through its checks and clear out the memory.

I am thinking of replacing the coax cable from satellite to satellite box as it takes a long time to connect and go through the system checks.

What hoops do you have to jump through to set up your satellite? How long does it take you? Does it involve a phone call to dish every time?

Thanks

Bill
Old 09-14-2018, 03:37 PM   #2
Site Team

18 year old SAT dish? That’s where I’d suspect the issue is. But I don’t know that for sure.

Also, when you don’t use a dish receiver for a few weeks you have to call dish to reflash the programming.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:25 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
18 year old SAT dish? That’s where I’d suspect the issue is. But I don’t know that for sure.

Also, when you don’t use a dish receiver for a few weeks you have to call dish to reflash the programming.
Hello Creativepart,

Yes it is old. I called King when I first purchased the MH in 2016 and using a flash drive I was able to update the satellite system. Then I purchased the cheapest receiver vip 211z to see if I could get it to work. So the reason I need to call Dish every time is to reflash my programing? Dish did mentioned that I could do this in an app on my phone and that the app was new. I have not researched this yet.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 09-14-2018, 05:29 PM   #4
Site Team

Yes if it sits unused for a couple of weeks. I’ve heard that this can be handled via an app now, but we dumped dish a little over a year ago and so I don’t have experience with that app.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:47 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by signet63 View Post
Hello Creativepart,

Yes it is old. I called King when I first purchased the MH in 2016 and using a flash drive I was able to update the satellite system. Then I purchased the cheapest receiver vip 211z to see if I could get it to work. So the reason I need to call Dish every time is to reflash my programing? Dish did mentioned that I could do this in an app on my phone and that the app was new. I have not researched this yet.

Thanks,

Bill
Go ahead and try the app on the phone, but don't be surprised if it doesn't work. The requirements for the app to work seems to be you have to have a "pay as you go" account, have a hopper receiver and maybe something else. There has been quite a bit of discussion on the Escapees RV Forum Forums - Escapees Discussion Forum about this over the last 3-4 months. Sorry I don't recall the exact topic(s) to reference.

When you say re-flash my programming, do you mean the local channels? Everything but the local channels should be there no matter where you are located in the country.

BTW I have no experience with leaving the receiver not in use to Dish Network. HOWEVER since my receiver has NO return connection to Dish, they have NO way of knowing if I am using the receiver or not. That is no phone line connected or internet connection back to Dish Network.

On my receiver, a 722VIP, I force a new programing guide down load by going to the "menu" and working my way to the "installation", "Point Dish"screen and do a "check switch" test. Once the test is complete, it does a search for the satellite, then downloads the program guide. I use this process when we change local channels when we move to a different part of the country. Such as going from San Antonio to Dallas and we have our service address changed.

Another thing to keep in mind, I think your King Dome only see one satellite at a time. Dish has programming spread across 3 satellites (more if you consider the East and West parts of the continental US satellites). I think if you are only getting SD (standard definition) then that comes off on a single satellite.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:58 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

You asked:
Quote:
What hoops do you have to jump through to set up your satellite? How long does it take you? Does it involve a phone call to dish every time?
I think your problems are unique to your King Dome dish and control box.

We use a Winegard Trav'ler automatic dish and don't have problems with the dish finding the satellites. Find a place with open sky to the south, press a button and in 5-8 minutes or less will have the dish pointed. It may take more time for the receiver to go through its process though. If we have a power outage it only takes about 1-3 minutes to be back in operation.

Other people use a dish on a tripod that they set up outside and have good success in getting it set up. However there is a really big learning curve on setting up the dish on the tripod correctly and getting it pointed to the satellites. But once they get it aimed correctly it works fine. Sorry, it has been 15 years since I have used a dish on a tripod, so no details on how to set one up. There should be lots of info on the internet on how to set one up. A good tripod costs about $100-150 and the dish (Dish Network or Direct TV) can be purchased from Amazon for under a $100. The Trav'ler costs from about $1200 to $1700, plus installation.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:12 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post
When you say re-flash my programming, do you mean the local channels? Everything but the local channels should be there no matter where you are located in the country.

BTW I have no experience with leaving the receiver not in use to Dish Network. HOWEVER since my receiver has NO return connection to Dish, they have NO way of knowing if I am using the receiver or not. That is no phone line connected or internet connection back to Dish.
Your receiver does connect to Dish thru it’s requests for programming via the satellite. If you don’t do this over an extended period of time, a couple of weeks, you need to have Dish reauthorize ALL of your programming - locals are different and depend on your service address. Two different things.

If I remember correctly, the receiver you mentioned requires two cables to the satellite dish and generally is not used for mobile service. I took mine from home on RV trips for a while but did have problems with using it in the RV after a while. Dish recommends the Wally or the 211. I’ve used both, the Wally is much better.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:06 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Bill--we have a King dome on our 2012 RV and it has been junk since new. After fighting it for a couple of years, we bought a portable carryout antenna (Pathway X2) and it works great. Setup is a breeze and it's easier to access all the satellites since we can move it around the campground.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 05:59 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I have a Winegard G2+ antenna and a Dish Wally receiver. I've had the same troubles as you, especially when we drive more than a 100 miles from are previous location. I find this helps. Unplug your receiver. Turn on the antenna, give it five minutes to lock in on the sats. Now plug in your receiver. It will take five minutes to go through it's routines. Once you start getting some of your channels, either call dish for a reset or download their app "MyDish". You can send the reset to your receiver without having to call Dish. Works well for me. I also use the app called "Winegard", it works for any of the sat providers and will actually show the satellite positions in the sky as you hold your phone up and move it around, this way you can make sure you don't have a big tree or building blocking the path to your dish.
starcrwzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:12 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Your receiver does connect to Dish thru it’s requests for programming via the satellite. If you don’t do this over an extended period of time, a couple of weeks, you need to have Dish reauthorize ALL of your programming - locals are different and depend on your service address. Two different things.

If I remember correctly, the receiver you mentioned requires two cables to the satellite dish and generally is not used for mobile service. I took mine from home on RV trips for a while but did have problems with using it in the RV after a while. Dish recommends the Wally or the 211. I’ve used both, the Wally is much better.
The receiver has no way to "request" programming. There is NO two way satellite communications with the Dish or DirectTV dishes. Two way satellite communication requires a transmitter back to the satellite, which neither of the dishes have.

As long as the receiver has a good satellite signal, the receiver listens for commands sent to its address from the satellite. What ever the command is, the receiver does whatever it is programmed for.

I never checked to see if my receiver was designed for mobile operation. Based on the research I did, I learned I could just pick up the receiver, put it in the RV and be good to go. We have used it this way for 8 years now w/o problems. We are sure to power off the receiver when traveling so the hard drive doesn't have a problem with the bouncing. Note that the receiver is really nothing more than a Personal Computer with hardware and programming for satellite TV.

My receiver only has one cable to the Dish. Both at my sticks and bricks and in the RV. There is no difference in the "dish" at the house and the dish on the Trav'ler. On the Trav'ler there are motors and stuff to aim the dish, but the dishes are identical.

It is good to note that there is a multi wire cable going to the Trav'ler. I goes from the Trav'ler control box to the motors and stuff on the roof to aim the dish.

For what it's worth, there are hundreds if not thousands of RV's taking their house receiver and moving it to the RV when traveling.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:20 AM   #11
Site Team

Your Dish Receiver does receive programming authorization, channel lists, guide updates, locals, software updates and even pay-per-view events that are specific to your account and based on the last time your receiver and smart card was activated on Dish Network.

I did not mean to suggest you were transmitting into space.

I had Dish for 20-years. I used it in my RV for 13-yrs. if you’re taking a receiver from home that’s in constant use in your home then you won’t have a need for reauthorizing the programming on your receiver. If you purchase a separate receiver for the RV and don’t use it for a period of time you would need to call Dish and have them flash the receiver.

At home your installer would have done this during installation. He would have phoned Dish and provided the receiver number and smart card number.

If your receiver has two inputs for dual tuner usage then it’s not considered a Mobile receiver. I don’t remember if the receiver you mentioned is one of those or not.

Sorry for any confusion.

We gave up Dish about 18-months ago and changed to streaming all of our TV at home and on the RV.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:21 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Your Dish Receiver does receive programming authorization, channel lists, guide updates, locals, software updates and even pay-per-view events that are specific to your account and based on the last time your receiver and smart card was activated on Dish Network.

I did not mean to suggest you were transmitting into space.

I had Dish for 20-years. I used it in my RV for 13-yrs. if you’re taking a receiver from home that’s in constant use in your home then you won’t have a need for reauthorizing the programming on your receiver. If you purchase a separate receiver for the RV and don’t use it for a period of time you would need to call Dish and have them flash the receiver.

At home your installer would have done this during installation. He would have phoned Dish and provided the receiver number and smart card number.

If your receiver has two inputs for dual tuner usage then it’s not considered a Mobile receiver. I don’t remember if the receiver you mentioned is one of those or not.

Sorry for any confusion.

We gave up Dish about 18-months ago and changed to streaming all of our TV at home and on the RV.
Sorry, I took your words to mean that the receiver had some way to communicate back to Dish.

Yes the receiver is a dual tuner. Only one coax from the dish, but can record two programs at the same time.

I guess the need for a flash of the receiver would be that the receiver computer programming sees that it has been powered off for an extended period so won't work without the flash.

We have gone for several months w/o contacting Dish to change programming or change locals and the receiver has continued working. Also our receiver has never been connected to a phone line or internet to be able to contact Dish Network.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:38 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Also Use the Trav'ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post
You asked: I think your problems are unique to your King Dome dish and control box.

We use a Winegard Trav'ler automatic dish and don't have problems with the dish finding the satellites. Find a place with open sky to the south, press a button and in 5-8 minutes or less will have the dish pointed. It may take more time for the receiver to go through its process though. If we have a power outage it only takes about 1-3 minutes to be back in operation.
The Trav'ler costs from about $1200 to $1700, plus installation.
Let me second the above comment. When we bought our motorhome in 2012, the dealer included a Winegard dome antenna that eventually become obsolete. It would no longer lock on the DISH satellites in the northern part of the USA and could not be upgraded. Even with the dome antenna was working, small tree limbs and rain could shut down our reception.

In June of 2017 I upgraded our antenna to the Winegard Trav'ler and it made a huge difference. It's limitation, of course, is that the roof of our coach must have an unobstructed view of the southwest sky. In situations when that is not possible, I use a Winegard Playmaker on a tripod. Here is a comparison of the signal strengths in southwest Florida between the two antennas at the same location:

Satellite Number : 110 119 129
TRAV'LER 73-75 71-73 61-64
Playmaker 40-41 55-56 55-57

As you can see, the signal strength from both antennas is adequate but the Trav'ler receives all satellites simultaneously. The Playmaker must reorient itself when I change to a channel coming from a different satellite.
lewisedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:46 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Dish

I have my second Winegard 1000 (sold 1st coach added to current couch) and use a 211 receiver. The only time I call Dish is to reset locals. (There app won't do that yet). Having a good large dish makes a huge difference. We used it all over AK on our trip there this simmer. Only problem can be trees in the way and that can usually be handled with a move of location.
marcusf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:41 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

My 2009 coach had a King dish that I hooked my 211k up to and was able to connect to Dish after a few calls to Dish and King and get everything synced up. In 2016, I had problems with the King controller and the tech at King sent my a new controller and a update to bring my old King dish up to present software. The tech informed me that this would fix my King dish for a few months but that Dish was making satellite changes and them my unit would no longer work. According to King my options were to replace the King with either a newer version of the King or trade out to a Dish Tailgater. I opted for the Dish Tailgater do to cost and the Tailgater could be mounted on the roof like the old King. My Tailgater has been working flawlessly mounted on the roof and easily finds the 'birds' and lock on. We put the system in vacation mode for a few months in summer as we are parked in a woods and have to use cable for tv. When I come out of the woods, I text Dish with my service location and ask that they send a refresh and include my new locals. This takes about 15 to 20 minutes but requires none of my time or effort for the unit to download the programming and then the current guide. Changing from the King to Tailgater was simple - just unhook the coax, remove mounting screws, remove the King and plug the screw holes since the units were not the same size. Mount the Tailgater with new screws and reconnect the coax. The only other thing I had to do was unhook the two coaxes from the King controller (dome input and controller output) and connect them together since the 211k controls the Tailgater directly.

It is interesting how long it takes to for the signals to update the dish receiver and download the guide. Reminds me of when we had dial up modems to connect to the internet.
Hoffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:11 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Tv junkie

My coach came with a wineguard Dish network dish.
I have Direct Tv at home so I purchased a portable sat ($500) which works both direct and dish. This was cheaper than purchasing a new direct tv Wineguard antenna.
I don’t get local stations and Direct Tv is a pain the ars to deal with, you can reset the receivers on the computer quick and easy.
I purchased a Dish DVR receiver $100 to get local stations once I found out dish was RV Friendly and has pay as you go.
That damn wineguard antenna will point right at a tree and still get a signal, surprises me everytime.
I have a Verizon hot spot for internet, triple tv options.
I almost forgot direct tv you have to get the antenna right or it won’t get a signal, the portable is SD and my antenna at home is HD, I always forget to change that and the favorite list too.
pobstlmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish