Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2018, 08:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

DirecTV Tuner

We have 2016 Winnebago Via (putchased June 2018) that has a Winegard RoadTrip Mission satellite dish installed. It didn't come with a tuner so I purchased one. I bought a DirecTV H25 tuner based on advice from the counter guy at Camping World.

I have DirecTV at home. When I talked with DirecTV they said I couldn't use my Genie without a SWM. The Camping World guy said I don't need a SWM with the H25 going to the RoadTrip.

This site says the H25 will work.http://www.winegard.com/directv

Does anyone know if this is going to work? What should be my next step?

Thanks,
Bob
brican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:41 AM   #2
Veteran & RV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by brican View Post
We have 2016 Winnebago Via (putchased June 2018) that has a Winegard RoadTrip Mission satellite dish installed. It didn't come with a tuner so I purchased one. I bought a DirecTV H25 tuner based on advice from the counter guy at Camping World.

I have DirecTV at home. When I talked with DirecTV they said I couldn't use my Genie without a SWM. The Camping World guy said I don't need a SWM with the H25 going to the RoadTrip.

This site says the H25 will work.DIRECTV in your RV! Winegard Mobile DIRECTV Sales

Does anyone know if this is going to work? What should be my next step?

Thanks,
Bob
Bob,

IF the H25 even works with that satellite dish you have, you will only get SD channels (no HD at all!). What you need is the Winegard Trav'ler Directv dish to receive HD channels. I own the Trav'ler, which is an SWM dish, and it works great with my H25 receiver. SWM stands for "single wire multiplexer" if I am not mistaken.

As far as I know, the Trav'ler is the only automatic dish sold for RV's that can receive HD from Directv satellites. You can go the manual route and buy an SWM satellite dish and tripod and set up the dish yourself. That requires some work and isn't worth the effort if you are not camping somewhere for days or weeks at a time.
armullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:41 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

The H25 I have is an HD receiver. The front panel says "DirecTV HD" and the description on the Camping World website says, "Factory refurbished, compact 12-volt HD satellite receiver is ideal for RV satellite systems using a single wire multiswitch (SWM) antenna..."

Given that, do I need a SWM unit. In the setup instructions for the Winegard Roadtrip Mission it says, "Select 3-LNB (18”x20”) or 3 Satellites. If given the option of SWM or Multi-switch, select Multiswitch." So the SWM unit is not required?

Also, the installation instructions also say, "Winegard does not recommend using an HD receiver since HD programming will not be available."

Thanks for your reply.

Bob
brican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:38 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

DirecTv is the HD looser for rv

DirecTv is the hardest system to use in an rv. The H25 receiver is a SWM only receiver. So, to use it you will need to install a $2,000.00 plus antenna. Dish network, or Dish as its known, will give you HD in your rv with your current antenna. DirecTv is trying to push users away from SD programing. Dish, is trying to gather up those users and put them on HD with a multiswitch dish system. I have an in motion King dome installed on my rig and have been thinking of going with Dish, pay as you go. If you beg and plead with them, DirecTv will sell you a SD receiver for your rv, that works with the antenna you have. But, it's only SD.
Kerry
HotMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:06 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

DirecTV Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotMech View Post
DirecTv is the hardest system to use in an rv. The H25 receiver is a SWM only receiver. So, to use it you will need to install a $2,000.00 plus antenna. Dish network, or Dish as its known, will give you HD in your rv with your current antenna. DirecTv is trying to push users away from SD programing. Dish, is trying to gather up those users and put them on HD with a multiswitch dish system. I have an in motion King dome installed on my rig and have been thinking of going with Dish, pay as you go. If you beg and plead with them, DirecTv will sell you a SD receiver for your rv, that works with the antenna you have. But, it's only SD.
Kerry

I have not found that to be the case although the DirecTv Carryout is the only system I have used. I don't know the model of my receivers but they are the originals I got in 2009.....I bring 2 with me every time we camp......I hook up the Carryout to power then connect the receivers and in less than 10 minutes total time I have TV. I do not have an HD contract with DirecTv(not a sports fan ) so thats never been a problem. My Carry Out supports 2 receivers independant of each other[/I].The wife watches inside the MH and I am outside. Never had a problem. My entire investment is the Carryout which I think cost me $700 in 2011.

As for antennas, you can find the "home type " on Craigs list and other places for between $25 and $50.
The real issue for me is just exactly WHAT is Directv going to do.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:56 AM   #6
Veteran & RV Owner

I have a Winegard Trav'ler on my coach for Directv.

I think Directv is going to switch their business model to a streaming broadband business with satellite on the side (probably leasing sat transponders and allowing the Directv Satellites to go to the end of their operational life and not replace them). They will always have satellite service for the rural customers who do not have broadband and RV's.
armullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:57 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Compatibility Chart

http://www.winegard.com/help/images/...e_Antennas.pdf

Requires SWM-D30 or SWM-840 Multi-Switch Kit:
H25, HR34 with C31, H44, HR54, C51, C61K, HR44
with C41
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote