Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-18-2016, 10:25 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

We have been using the Firebox in our RV for over a year and found only one campground whose WiFi had a very slow speed. Of course when we dry camp if we wanted to watch a movie or live sport, (pre installing our satellite) I used either the Jetpack or my phone's hotspot, which did use the data, however it was only for about 2-3 hours, so we didn't use that much data. Most campgrounds are updating their WiFi speeds as more and more people are using streaming devices. Alexa does not need data when using the Firebox. This past weekend we were camping and watched live football, as well as 3 movies and a TV series. When we prepared to leave to come home, I checked the weather in several areas and also the traffic conditions with Alexa.
truesdall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:16 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by truesdall View Post
We have been using the Firebox in our RV for over a year and found only one campground whose WiFi had a very slow speed. Of course when we dry camp if we wanted to watch a movie or live sport, (pre installing our satellite) I used either the Jetpack or my phone's hotspot, which did use the data, however it was only for about 2-3 hours, so we didn't use that much data. Most campgrounds are updating their WiFi speeds as more and more people are using streaming devices. Alexa does not need data when using the Firebox. This past weekend we were camping and watched live football, as well as 3 movies and a TV series. When we prepared to leave to come home, I checked the weather in several areas and also the traffic conditions with Alexa.

Alexa is connected to the internet using wifi / firebox. In order for Alexa to get the weather information when you ask it there are calls made to the Amazon servers to gather that information in the form of TCP/IP packets. The Amazon servers collect the answers to your questions (in this case the weather) and sends it back to Alexa again in the form of TCP/IP packets over the internet and she responds to you.

This is using data. If you had no connection to the internet (the data) you would get a negative response from Alexa in the form of "having a hard time connecting right now".

You're not just using data when connected to your jet pack or phone you're using data any time you're that you're connected to WiFi. I am a network engineer and set this kind of stuff up all the time, albeit on a much larger scale.

Any time you're using a device like that to stream or get realtime information it's using data. So yes, Alexa is using data be it the firebox connection, wifi or jet pack, it's still data.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:55 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Agree however not using data as in your cell provider which I think might be the concern. Unless of course you need to use a Jetpack or cell hotspot like when dry camping.
truesdall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:55 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Good info here, someone help me with this then.....I have a Directv HR 24-500 receiver. I cannot for the life of me get the infra red bulb you stick on the receiver eye to communicate with the receiver. I've tested with my phone's camera, and the bulb is working fine transmitting the infra red beam. The receiver just doesn't see it. Some have said it won't work with that receiver, can't figure why not. I've given up on it for now, I'd like to hear what others have done, and what I'm doing wrong. If all fails, I'll probably just go to RF receivers and remotes.

It's comical, using the lounge TV in our 42QD. I have just been leaving the receiver cabinet door open, and pointing the remote at the tinted glass cabinet doors above TV, and the reflection of the IR beam hits the Directv receiver. Works for now, but no help in bedroom or outside. I just haven't had time to mess with it lately.

Regards,
W.D.
2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:01 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
If all fails, I'll probably just go to RF receivers and remotes.
The HR-24 IS a RF receiver. It works with IR or RF remotes. It does not work with the RC73 but it does work with the earlier RF remotes. I have to leave the cabinet doors open to keep the matrix and the HR-24 from getting so hot the thermal protection shuts them down.
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:09 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Hmmm, I always thought it was odd. There's a section in the receiver settings for activating RF remote, yet the brainiacs at Directv tell me I need the next generation receiver. LOL

(They're probably talking with the new remotes in mind). Thanks for the tip.

W.D.

2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511, Good Sam, Passport America.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:27 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Dtv matrix

First I assume Winngard dish. If in-motion only SD otherwise HD. Second I guess SWM system although some older may not. With SWM only one connection from dish needed. I have moved from using two HR-24 dvr's to a genie HR 54 and and a mini. Much less space and heat. I still use a fan and leave doors open. The matrix does generate a lot of heat so getting use to turning off when not in use is good habit. The HR 54 has a built-in power inserter so if you don't currently have one no need to install but if you have SWM then you probably have a power inserter. Good news is the 54 has a sensor that deactivates the internal power inserter if it senses one already on line. The 44 did not.
cpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:58 PM   #28
Retired Sailor and Wench

DirecTV with 4x4 Matrix

Another Newbie trying to hook TV. I have a 2012 Adventurer 37F with the King Dome 9704 antenna on the roof.

Quoting "Cover Dog", he said "In your front right overhead cabinet where your matrix system is you'll see three satellite inputs. The two on the left say they're for the rooftop satellite and the remaining one on the right side is for a portable satellite."

I have the two satellite hook-up panels on the right hand side panel of the box that contains the satellite controls and the Digital Air TV button. I also have the two HDMI cables described and a single 75 ohm coax that I have assumed comes down from the roof top King Dome. I bought a 29 volt Power Inserter and a SWM8 to be compatible with my DirecTV HR44-500 receiver I have at home.

Taking the home HR44 receiver to the motor home, I connected the #1 HDMI cable to the back of the receiver and the coax to the antenna connection on the back of the receiver. I was able to get a DirecTV screen on the TV but no programming nor setup completion.

Was I supposed to attach the coax to the left hand satellite input panel? Anything else anyone can suggest?
Tailhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:56 PM   #29
Winnebago Master

Tailhooker

May be going over plowed ground, but, have you known the dome to receive HD? Or anything? There are switch configurations for SD, HD, different carriers i.e. DirecTV, Dish, etc. Should be a wall mount controller to do that.

Here is the link to your dome manual https://kingconnect.com/wp-content/u...D-06-27-14.pdf

We have a Movin-View SD on the roof and a portable SD feeding a dedicated H24 receiver. Both worked fine for years. Recently upgraded to an HD portable. Should work with H24 and H25. The receiver would not recognize the portable HD dish/LNB configuration. Tried the H25's from the house. Still nothing. After hours (literally) on the phone with DTV, they finally diagnosed a faulty LNB on the portable dish. Waiting for it to arrive now.

If you have several hours to spare, grab a couple of adult beverages and call DTV. They should be able to line diagnose

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:22 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

Tailhooker, here is the link to the Coax cable drawings for your coach and the King dome antenna. I'm not a DirecTV person, but do you need the SWM8 if you are only going to one receiver?
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_177576.pdf
https://kingconnect.com/wp-content/u...09-08-10_1.pdf
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:39 PM   #31
Retired Sailor and Wench

DirecTV with King Dome

The King Dome Manual that came with my Winnebago coach say the 9704 Dome was preset to Dish at the factory; but, it has a procedure for re-configuring it for DirecTV (which I have done). Since I am attempting to use my HR44-500 receiver from home, I am told that it requires a SWM - that is why I bought the SWM8 and Power Inserted. (At home, the outside HD antenna has a SWM LNB but, the RV antenna does not have that.)

Looking around in my forward entertainment cabinet, I have found only one RG6 coax and two HDMI cables. Information about the Dome that I've read, says there are two cables coming down from the Dome. Could the "missing" RG6 coax be routed to the bedroom TV or to the outside TV?

In the entertainment cabinet, I have the 4x4 Matrix switch and a Sony DVD player. I have tried to play a DVD but, I only get audio through the TV and no video even though I have changed the TV source on the screen. In one of the posts here, I think I read that player selections are made on the Matrix. Is that true?

This seems so simple to some on this net but I can't seen to get the satellite TV system to work. The Air TV works fine. When we finally hit the road to full time, I would hate to be limited to broadcast TV over the air!
Old 09-23-2018, 08:46 PM   #32
Retired Sailor and Wench

The link to the King Dome Manual is the same manual I have; but, thanks. The other link is to a lot of information some of which I recognize, thanks again.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:49 PM   #33
Winnebago Master

No, it is not simple to any of us, that's why there are so many threads on the subject.

From the manual -- The KING Dome will not receive HD channels broadcast from DIRECTV’s Ka band satellites at 99° and 103°. It is designed to receive signals from 101, making it an SD antenna.

From your post - (At home, the outside HD antenna has a SWM LNB but, the RV antenna does not have that.)

The H44 requires a SWM system. A SWM system is an LNB powered by a power inserter.

DirecTV HD receivers H25 and higher require a SWM system. H24 will receive SWM HD signals non-SWM (SD) signals. H12 (when you can find them) are SD only.

Adding all that up, I believe you have an incompatibility challenge between your SWM system H44 and your non-SWM LNB.

Those of us with pre-HDMI matrix systems are having to resort to some pretty creative electroniking (my word) to keep up with entertainment technology. SWMBO and I are too cheap to spring for a $2000 HD dish upgrade, so make do with a $140 portable HD dish, a dedicated H24 and the 2 H25's from the house. Some days we use the Mov'n-View SD, some days the portable HD.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:54 PM   #34
Retired Sailor and Wench

Thumbs up DirecTV receiver to HDMI Matrix

Thanks for the info, Old China Hand.

I was informed by DirecTV that the HR44 receiver requires SWM. If the antenna does not have a SWM LNB like at home (which fits my King Dome) then the SWM is inserted into the system using a SWM8 (multiSwitch) and a 29 volt Power Inserter (the 21 volt won't work). They also told me that a single coax was all that was required because the HR44 will communicate both up and down the single RG6 coax connection.

I have also been told that in the on screen setup I have to tell the receiver that I am using a Type 1 Round SD dish instead on the elliptical HD dish. I have been reluctant to make that change for fear of incurring my wife's displeasure if, when I return the HR44 to home service, I will be unable to reset the antenna type back to its present setting. A friend has an HR24 which he said he would let me borrow to see if it will "play".

I still have a question which was raised by a Cover Dog Posting: "In your front right overhead cabinet where your matrix system is you'll see three satellite inputs. The two on the left say they're for the rooftop satellite and the remaining one on the right side is for a portable satellite." I didn't understand what was supposed to be attached to the hook-ups in the right-front overhead cabinet. I have two of those "hook-up" panels and, right now, nothing is hooked up to them.

The two HDMI cables I have - do they come from the back of the 4x4 Matrix? When attempting to get the system working by taking my home HR44 receiver to the RV, I have plugged HDMI #1 into the back of the receiver. Is that correct?

Back in the bedroom, I see there is an HDMI cable which is not plugged into anything. To receive satellite TV back there, I guess I need another receiver? Since we have the DirecTV Genie system at home, will the Genie "Mini" receiver work in the bedroom? Someone told me the HR44 communicates wirelessly with the "Mini". True, or Not? We can get a picture on the bedroom TV from the Jack Digital HDTV Over-the-Air antenna on the roof. (I haven't even looked at the outside TV - I just locked the compartment to avoid theft of the TV while I try to figure all this out.)

Thanks to all for your time and expertise in trying to help this old airplane driver to get his RV TV working!
Old 09-24-2018, 07:10 PM   #35
Winnebago Master

Tailhooker, here is the link to a pretty good drawing showing how the matrix box is connected.
https://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/2016/183595.pdf
Attached is a drawing that may help with the coax connections up front.
The 4x4 matrix can be a bear sometimes. When it is working you will be able to see the front satellite receiver at the bedroom TV.
Good Luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dish coax.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	170312  
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:09 PM   #36
Winnebago Master

This knuckle dragging old flange-head is of the opinion that DTV sold you a load of wolf cookies. Between the house and the Journey, I have spent so much time talking to them I have my own coffee cup in their local office. SWM (single wire multiswitch) is circuitry now built into DTV LNB's and powered by an inserter. A SWM8 switch is essentially an 8 port splitter. The difference is number of tuners they will support. From DTV FAQ page:

What is a SWM-LNB?
To make installations even simpler, DirecTV has come out with a SWM integrated right into the satellite reception LNB. There are two varieties - the SL3S (3LNB SWM) and the SL5S (5LNB SWM). Both work with slimline reflectors. Both still require power inserters, but can use the PI-21. Neither will support OTA or more than 8 tuners.
What are the requirements for using a SWM8?
There are two basic requirements: (1) you need a compatible dish, and (2) you need SWM-compatible receivers.
The only SWM-compatible dishes are the 5LNB dish (both slimline, and regular, both AT9 and AU9) and the slimline 3LNB from DIRECTV.

Your 4x4 matrix is a signal distribution system. I do not have that. Grant provided some great schematics. On the deck plate level, to see what goes where, you may have to lay a multimeter between the terminals, including the orphan HDMI in the bedroom and check for continuity. Did it to all my coax, and did it to the new HDMI we ran around the OEM coax for cleaner signal, etc. Guys with like systems (i.e. Grant) should be a valuable resource.

Signal source, however, is common to all of our signal distribution systems. Our rooftop Mov'n-View has an SD LNB married to a dish that set up id's as an 18x20. Our old portable dish has an SD LNB married to a dish that set up id's as an 18' round. Neither can be upgraded by simply replacing the non-LNB with a SWM LNB. There has to be matching dish geometry. Our new HD portable dish with SWM LNB is huge, about a 31'x23' oval (slimline 3LNB).

Point being, DTV tech should have had conversation about King Dome dish compatibility. Be interesting to see if your friend's H24 pulls in SD and/or HD channels.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:40 AM   #37
Retired Sailor and Wench

Thanks, Oldchinahand for the information. Here at the house, I have the HD elliptical antenna with the SWM LNB and a PI21 Power Inserter which, of course, works just great.

Now I have to sort through the "Wolf Cookies" and "Sea Bats" to try to get satellite TV working in the RV. Because of all this, I am tempted to just go with Dish and their month-to-month program.

Fair winds, etc.
Old 09-30-2018, 01:26 PM   #38
Retired Sailor and Wench

Swm lnb

Oldchinahand -

Your reply included the statement, "A SWM system is an LNB powered by a power inserter."

I was told that, since my King Dome 9704 satellite antenna does not have a SWM LNB, I could provide that same signal to my HR44-500 receiver as it receives from the SWM LNB antenna at home by running the signal through a SWM8 Multiswitch and powering it with the required 29 volt Power inserter.

Was this information erroneous?

BT or MM?

LGC
Old 09-30-2018, 02:39 PM   #39
Retired Sailor and Wench

Oldchinahand (and others) - I was in my motor home yesterday looking at the various wires in my "entertainment" cabinet, and discovered that there two plates labelled "Satellite Receiver Connection" (SRC). (Like grtharris' diagram) There is a single length of RG6 coax attached to one of the connectors.

On one of the SRC plates there are two coax connection points labelled "From Roof Antenna" and one connection labelled "To Bedroom Satellite Prep Plate".

The second SRC plate has two connections labelled "From Roof Satellite Dish" and one connector labelled "From Portable Satellite Dish".

Several people have told me that my DirecTV HR44-500 received requires two satellite inputs to the SWM8 to work. The SWM8 I have certainly is capable of multiple inputs.

Would the solution to my problems be to connect two lengths of RG6 coax from the two SRC outputs labelled "From Roof Satellite Dish" to the SWM8 Multiswitch and then a single length of RG6 coax from the PI29 Power Inverter to the antenna input on the back of my HR44-500 receiver?

I am aware that I can only receive SD programming on the King Dome 9704 dish.
Old 09-30-2018, 02:43 PM   #40
Winnebago Owner

I had the King Dome 9704 and 4X4 HDMI in ours when we bought it used 3 years ago.

The HDMI 4X4 simply transmits HDMI signals throughout the coach along with the IR remote interface so you can keep all of your receivers in one place by the HDMI 4X4. Kind of a cool system, but doesn't really impact your satellite system other then it sell send signals downstream of your reciever(s) to whatever TV you select.

The King Dome 9704 never worked on our Dish. I messed with re-programming because I thought maybe the the prior owner had DirecTV, I spent hours with King technical support, and finally we determined it was shot because it couldn't even lock on a satellite. I pushed it off the roof and went to the Travel'r SK-1000 with Dish and things have been dandy. The Travel'r was a Winnebago option so it pretty much went in the same spot as the King Dome, and the new cable runs were easy to pull in. There is an equivalent system for DirecTV.

I just use a single Wally added to the home account and transmit that signal through the HDMI to whatever TV we are using. If we wanted, we could have multiple receivers stacked so each TV could watch different channels, but for us we haven't found the need.

Tags
directv