Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2021, 10:15 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Having worked professional on image processing systems I know what is possible and this camera is wasting the hardware and only making pretty pictures. Sure I can see cars and roads and lanes. If you want to accept that as a great camera go ahead. I know that this hardware resolved the plate and the numbers just fine and then the software threw all that out.

BTW I've done the same test at the 4K resolution but it doesn't make any difference becasue the camera throws even more data out at 4K. Starting with every other full frame of data so way more than half.
cruizerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 12:07 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrrus View Post
1080P like it says in the review.
You might try a higher resolution.

I used the 4K resolution on my dash cam and displayed the video on a 4K monitor (obviously you have to use the same or higher resolution monitor to get the proper playback) and could resolve license plates. I had to take snap shots and load them into a photo editor to straighten out plates not directly in front of me, but then I could read the plate if the car was not too far ahead of me.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 12:10 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrrus View Post
BTW I've done the same test at the 4K resolution but it doesn't make any difference becasue the camera throws even more data out at 4K. Starting with every other full frame of data so way more than half.
Did you play it back on a 4K monitor set at 4K resolution?

I have been able to resolve license plates if the vehicle is not too far ahead of me if I used 4K resolution and then played it back on a 4K monitor set to 4K. I had to take a snap and load it into an editor to straighten out plates that were not directly ahead of me, but that worked, provided the car was not too far away.

Of course that was with my Rexing, not the Rove so I can not speak to it.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 10:06 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

I purchased a Z-Edge Z3Pro dash camera about 2 years ago:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use it intermittently (mostly because I forget about it) but have been happy with it so far.

It has both front- and rear-facing cameras, which is a nice feature in our cars. Since you can't see out the back of our motorhome the rear camera isn't particularly helpful in the RV.
Old 12-24-2021, 06:18 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompwil View Post
We got a Garmin Dash Cam 46. It mounts directly to the windshield so the video is solid and steady, no jitters. I have it mounted center just above the windshield wipers and it’s unnoticeable. I like that it integrates with the RV890 GPS and the Garmin Drive app on the phone. The app supports multiple dash cams so I’ll be getting at least one more for the rear. I’m happy with it
I'm curious about installation. Is your Garmin 46 mounted/wired so you don't have a plug-in power cord draped all over the place? Does it go on/off automatically with your key? If not, how do you turn it on if it's mounted out of easy reach?

Also, how important is the integration with your GPS? I have an RV780 but don't want to upgrade.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 07:52 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I'm curious about installation. Is your Garmin 46 mounted/wired so you don't have a plug-in power cord draped all over the place? Does it go on/off automatically with your key? If not, how do you turn it on if it's mounted out of easy reach?

Also, how important is the integration with your GPS? I have an RV780 but don't want to upgrade.
Hi Bob,

There is a metal disk that sticks to the windshield and the camera mounts magnetically to it. It is rock solid and the video is very good.

The power cord runs back to the GPS mount where there is a power outlet built in for it. One power wire for both devices from my supply. The camera powers on when power is sent to the mount. I installed a power distribution center with a switch that I can power off the whole thing easily when I want.

The integration is with the "Garmin Drive" app on the phone and your current GPS may also work with the app too, worth checking with Garmin. The app provides traffic conditions, weather, highway conditions, etc to both units. The cam settings can be controlled, through the app if you wish. The app allows viewing and exporting the saved video and a live stream for focusing along with a bunch of other features, out of lane warnings, traffic cams, accelerometer sensitivity, etc. Multiple cams can be accessed through the app too. Garmin also has an app on the laptop (Garmin Express) that works well for updates, much faster than updating directly to the devices.

So is all this stuff necessary? Probably not, but after figuring out what features and settings I like (and want) it's working well for me and I'm very happy with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4093.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	181521   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4086.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	181522  

Old 12-24-2021, 11:09 AM   #27
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompwil View Post
Hi Bob,

There is a metal disk that sticks to the windshield and the camera mounts magnetically to it. It is rock solid and the video is very good.

The power cord runs back to the GPS mount where there is a power outlet built in for it. One power wire for both devices from my supply. The camera powers on when power is sent to the mount. I installed a power distribution center with a switch that I can power off the whole thing easily when I want.

The integration is with the "Garmin Drive" app on the phone and your current GPS may also work with the app too, worth checking with Garmin. The app provides traffic conditions, weather, highway conditions, etc to both units. The cam settings can be controlled, through the app if you wish. The app allows viewing and exporting the saved video and a live stream for focusing along with a bunch of other features, out of lane warnings, traffic cams, accelerometer sensitivity, etc. Multiple cams can be accessed through the app too. Garmin also has an app on the laptop (Garmin Express) that works well for updates, much faster than updating directly to the devices.

So is all this stuff necessary? Probably not, but after figuring out what features and settings I like (and want) it's working well for me and I'm very happy with it.
Thanks, this is helpful. It won't integrate with my RV780 but I do have Garmin Drive and I like Garmin products.
Old 12-24-2021, 04:25 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

I have the Garmin mini cam pasted at the top center of my windshield where I can’t even see it because of the day/night shade. Routed the power cord across and down inside the side valance out onto the dash where it’s plugged into a 12v power strip that powers my other screens , iPad w/Bad Elf, TST monitor and RVI3 command center. For me the dash cam is there for “just in case”. I didn’t want another screen to distract me. It has an easy to use interface with the Garmin Drive app. On my phone and iPad.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/731428
Old 12-24-2021, 06:04 PM   #29
Winnebago Master

For those interested in the Garmin dash cams, here's a comparison of features:

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...G59OMjVi1NwIl5
Old 12-26-2021, 04:12 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

If you want a quick (like right now) and cheap dashcam, try downloading CAMONROAD to your mobile phone. Basic version is free. Video quality is as good as your phone. It saves video in segments (several minutes) so you don't have to watch all of it. It saves to my phone memory but uploads to the cloud are possible. Negative is that you should have phone plugged into charger, but that may apply to GPS units too.
David_Laura is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash