Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2007, 01:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Last month I put out a question about repairing the countertop in my 03 Horizon. Thanks to all who responded. I was asked to put up the information about the repair once completed.
I called Winnebago Tech Services and they told me the countertop was supplied by Vendura Industries located in Madison, Wisconsin. I first went to their web site and saw examples of the varieties of surfaces. I was able to identify mine as Jamaican Sand. I then called Vendura and was routed to their tech folks who were very helpful. They confirmed that my coach had Jamaican Sand countertops and stated that they have a repair kit available which I ordered.
The repair kit comes with an excellent DVD that explains the production process and the repair process. Most of the countertops are 1/4 inch thick and the sheets they manufacture look like sheets of plywood; very large and very flexible. The repair is very straight forward. Clean the surface, then using a dremel tool, cut very small holes every 1/8th inch. Mix the filler with the resin then add the catalyst. Then fill the holes and the crack. You have to work quickly as the mix starts to harden in 3 minutes. Let it sit over night and then use three grades of sandpaper and finish with a Scotchbrite pad. That last part took about 30 minutes. I can see where the repair was made but it is not noticable and I doubt any visitor would see it unless I specifically pointed to the spot. The only down side that I would mention is that the kit is $65, but I am more than satisfied.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:38 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Last month I put out a question about repairing the countertop in my 03 Horizon. Thanks to all who responded. I was asked to put up the information about the repair once completed.
I called Winnebago Tech Services and they told me the countertop was supplied by Vendura Industries located in Madison, Wisconsin. I first went to their web site and saw examples of the varieties of surfaces. I was able to identify mine as Jamaican Sand. I then called Vendura and was routed to their tech folks who were very helpful. They confirmed that my coach had Jamaican Sand countertops and stated that they have a repair kit available which I ordered.
The repair kit comes with an excellent DVD that explains the production process and the repair process. Most of the countertops are 1/4 inch thick and the sheets they manufacture look like sheets of plywood; very large and very flexible. The repair is very straight forward. Clean the surface, then using a dremel tool, cut very small holes every 1/8th inch. Mix the filler with the resin then add the catalyst. Then fill the holes and the crack. You have to work quickly as the mix starts to harden in 3 minutes. Let it sit over night and then use three grades of sandpaper and finish with a Scotchbrite pad. That last part took about 30 minutes. I can see where the repair was made but it is not noticable and I doubt any visitor would see it unless I specifically pointed to the spot. The only down side that I would mention is that the kit is $65, but I am more than satisfied.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 05:52 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I to have ordered the crack repair kit from winnebago for my 04 adventurer. It did not come with a video.
How much of catlist did you use? also did you
only mix half of the components at a time,and save some for later?

04 adventurer 33v
96 tracker
Old 03-29-2008, 07:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Hmmmm- I bought the kit and didn't spend as much as you cause I didn't get the dvd. Just an instruction sheet. The instructions I have are different than what you described. I've been procrastinating---I'll get to it one day soon. Maybe!
My countertop is at least 1/2" thick. The older units must be differeent. The written insructions are to drill 1/8" holes at the ends of the crack, take the complete crack out with the dremil and the the rest as you indicated. So now I'm confused
Old 03-30-2008, 02:30 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

If you folks have questions do as the Navy Flier did and call the manufacturer. Its always best to get the info from the "horses mouth".

Flier, we built all your carriers. Can't wait to see the next generation.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:39 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I did talk to the manufacturer but wanted to get feed back from actual experiences.

04 adventurer 33v
96 tracker
Old 03-30-2008, 10:19 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I have talked to the people at Vendura. Several times! My question was about the small holes every 1/8". It seems as tho you would still have a crack showing.I was told to clean out the entire crack and drill a hole at each end to stop any further cracking
Bruce