Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-10-2010, 04:42 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

TXiceman, you must have a ham radio huh???
Old 05-10-2010, 07:49 PM   #22
Winnie-Wise

swamphog, I started in CBs years ago and went to amateur radio (ham). If we are traveling with someone we use an FSR walkie talkie.

Ken
Old 05-11-2010, 05:34 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

TXiceman, thats good advise on the use of FRS radios, don't have all the garbage on the radios like the CB.we use ours in the park when the DW needs me or if I am out in the boat and she wants me, cheaper then the cell phones.
Joe, did you locate the CB PREP BAG? I know we are all trying to help you, yet its hard to with words as I am a hands on person, while others may be text book. but we are all doing the best we can.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:38 PM   #24
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamphog View Post
TXiceman, thats good advise on the use of FRS radios, don't have all the garbage on the radios like the CB.we use ours in the park when the DW needs me or if I am out in the boat and she wants me, cheaper then the cell phones.
Joe, did you locate the CB PREP BAG? I know we are all trying to help you, yet its hard to with words as I am a hands on person, while others may be text book. but we are all doing the best we can.
We are going camping in the AM. While we are at the State Park I'll look for the prep bag. I also have a vent that has no air coming out and I'll attempt to look at that too. I wish my dash opened/flipped up but another post said that it does not. I'll have to turn the air on and reach under to see if I can feel a leak. I should be able to find the CB prep bag in the process. I'll get back online in a week. Joe
Old 05-13-2010, 04:13 PM   #25
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 2002 Winnebago Adventure 35U and I hooked up my Cobra CB and I get a red light on the CB saying that something is wrong with my antenna. My moho came equiped with the CB prep with mount and antenna. Can someone maybe help me with this.
kjt92840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:01 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

For those wanting pictures, go to:
CB Antenna - 3' Firestick No Ground Plane Needed - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery to see a 3' Firestik no ground plane antenna and side mount. A minimum of 2/3 antenna height should be above the roof line.

Cobra_75_WX_ST_CB_Radio - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery to see the Cobra all in one radio. It is mounted to the left of the driver because I am left handed.

CB Radio External Speaker With Ear Bud Jack - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery to see the external speaker mounted on the wall just to the left and behind the driver's seat.

CB Radio Head Set - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery to see the single ear headset that plugs into the external speaker. This is so only I hear what is being received on the CB. It is a single ear headset because one must always be tuned and available for the wife's pronouncements.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:09 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Hi kjt92840,
The answer to the problem is it all depends. If:
1. The antenna and wire are a ground plane setup, there may be not enough ground plane. Depending on the antenna location there may be obstacles interfering with the transmitting signal. Usually, the antenna is making a contact with a ground some where (like chassis ground). This is not to be confused with the ground plane which has do to only when transmitting (and a little bit on receiving).

2. The antenna and wire are a no-ground plane setup, the center antenna wire lead is in contact with a coach ground.

For either installation, the antenna wire should not be coiled. It should be laid out flat (as much as possible) under the dash or some other area.

The simple and easiest thing to check is where the antenna wire connects to the antenna. Next is to check the SWR reading. If you do not have a meter, Radio Shack carries them. It is easy to use, there will be instructions with the meter. All antenna's need to be adjusted for the best SWR possible. The lower the reading the better.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:48 PM   #28
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the help GaryKD,
Do you think if I got a non ground plane antenna like yours would this solve my problem. The current location of my antenna mount is on the roof over the drivers head going thru the fiberglass (factory installed). The antenna wire is not coiled and I have no idea if the antenna wire is a non ground plane are not. (Winnebago installed antenna wire) As for the SWR reading my CB has a built in SWR meter in it and it reads high like 2.5 or 3.0 something like that. My CB also has a call meter on it as well, and when I adjust for the SWR my call meter falls way off. Maybe it's my CB, it worked great on my last moho. I would think that Winnebago would have installed a non ground plane set up. Does any body know what Winnebago uses for their CB set ups.....
kjt92840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:24 PM   #29
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
We are going camping in the AM. While we are at the State Park I'll look for the prep bag. I also have a vent that has no air coming out and I'll attempt to look at that too. I wish my dash opened/flipped up but another post said that it does not. I'll have to turn the air on and reach under to see if I can feel a leak. I should be able to find the CB prep bag in the process. I'll get back online in a week. Joe
Just got back home. We managed to fix the air vent and then I started the search for the CB prep wires. First I looked thru the owner manuals and found a section that said the CB electric wire connections (no antenna wires) are located in a clear plastic bag, under the dash, to the left of the steering wheel. I got down on my back under the steering wheel area and searched for the wires. According to the manual they are yellow and white in color. The manual even had a picture of the wires. I searched for 30 minutes and found nothing like the picture. Then I thought that the bag may have been removed by the prior owner so I searched for a pair of wires without a plastic bag described in the manual. I could not find any wires that would be for a CB. All the wires that I did find were the wrong color and labeled for other things. I gave up. I checked the manual again and there is just nothing like the picture or description under the dash anywhere in the entire driver's area. Joe
Old 05-17-2010, 05:54 AM   #30
Winnebago Camper

The week went fast, huh?
you are still able to hook up a CB with out the "prep bag" if you want to, all you need is three wires, pretty easly, one red for postive going to your fuse box, the other negative going to the ground ( chassie, frame, sometype of metal structure) and of course the coax. but proir doing all this you need to study on the location, as I mention in my post B-4, about the pedals/sight, its up to you mounting the antenna on the side or top, top being much better for hitting trees and low wires, as mounting on the side is much better for you and the low objects.just B-4 sure the antenna is half way above the roof, if on the side.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:56 AM   #31
Winnebago Owner

Not sure about the design on the Latitude, but it took me awhile to find my CB wiring. It was in the plastic bag, but was hidden behind the sidewall panel above the left foot rest. You might try searching in that area.
robbstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:11 AM   #32
Winnebago Camper

maybe you should take it to your dealer or fine someone who has one like yours, to locate this PREP BAG, as it seems to enjoy the game of hid n seek.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:46 AM   #33
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
Just got back home. We managed to fix the air vent and then I started the search for the CB prep wires. First I looked thru the owner manuals and found a section that said the CB electric wire connections (no antenna wires) are located in a clear plastic bag, under the dash, to the left of the steering wheel. I got down on my back under the steering wheel area and searched for the wires. According to the manual they are yellow and white in color. The manual even had a picture of the wires. I searched for 30 minutes and found nothing like the picture. Then I thought that the bag may have been removed by the prior owner so I searched for a pair of wires without a plastic bag described in the manual. I could not find any wires that would be for a CB. All the wires that I did find were the wrong color and labeled for other things. I gave up. I checked the manual again and there is just nothing like the picture or description under the dash anywhere in the entire driver's area. Joe
My experience exactly on 2 Winnies. As I have said, the chap on the production line that is paid to hide them does a great job. Forget the dealer....at least in my case, they didn't have a clue either...I knew more about this than they did. The normally very capable folks at Owners Relations only quote the manual. I wrote them several times over the years that it shouldn't be that hard to put the bag/wires in a more obvious place.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:08 AM   #34
Winnebago Camper

so this Chap, he must stay awake at night thinking of new places to hide this prep bag, seems to me he is winning at this game while poor azloafer isn't having the fun of using a CB,,,,yet.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:14 AM   #35
Winnie-Wise

Second vote for left footrest area.

On mine, I had to pull the carpet back a bit, revealing a slanted metal plate for the foot rest.

Unscrewing that opened up a 'pit' of cables, among which was the CB connections wrapped in plastic.

Look for the antenna cable and connector... that big silver coax cable screw-on is the easiest one to spot.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:31 AM   #36
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post
..... Look for the antenna cable and connector... that big silver coax cable screw-on is the easiest one to spot.
On newer models (at least '08's and maybe earlier), CB Prep means only that they have the mystery 12V wire buried somewhere...not the antenna... so that contributes to making it harder to find since that big connector is not there. A chap that used to post here a lot called it the Winnie Rusty Antenna since they turned to rust almost as soon as they came off the line...maybe that's why they quit providing the antenna.

This thread has inspired me to look again...but I'll wait until my svelte daughter comes to visit and send her in there again...without a driver side door, that's the only way. I'm currently tapped into the cig lighter wires but not that happy with that.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:12 PM   #37
Winnie-Wise

Any one know what antenna can be used instead of the original? The Antenna is separate from the cable and I believe only the antenna needs to be replaced. Mine has been bent too many times and the wires inside the spring have broken. I could replace with the original but if there is a better one I would like to know. No ground plane? or ?
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:29 PM   #38
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry J View Post
Any one know what antenna can be used instead of the original? The Antenna is separate from the cable and I believe only the antenna needs to be replaced. Mine has been bent too many times and the wires inside the spring have broken. I could replace with the original but if there is a better one I would like to know. No ground plane? or ?
Based on a lot of recommendations, I use the Firestik No Ground Plane (since it is a FG roof).
Old 05-21-2010, 05:04 AM   #39
Winnebago Camper

I see the Fire Stick is mention here alot, having used a Fire Stick on my trucks, I had never had a problem with them, they are great antennas, but I also like my K-40 antenna too, since I have a K-40 from the semi, I will be using it on the coach, but if the antenna is stolen/broken I would replace it with a Fire Stick, no ???? about it.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:25 AM   #40
Winnie-Wise

I have a k-40 on my pickup but it would be very tall for the top of a motorhome. Since I have a hole in the top what would be the size (3'?) for a Firestick roof surface mount? Firestick recommends their matching cable also.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote