Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2008, 05:56 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Let me start by saying I'm aware that on cable and satelite a converter box is unnecesary.

With all the public service announcements about the conversion to DTV I decided to check the TVs in my mh. I assumed when I prepared to do this that it would be a waste of time because I have an 07. To my surprise, the bedroom TV actually has a small sticker on it that warns the TV is not digtally compatible and the living room TV has nothing. I called both Winnebago and my dealer, Roy Robinson RV in Marysville, WA to express my disatisfaction that I purchased an 07 and the bedroom TV was not digital. Winnebago was nice enough to inform me after pulling up the info on my mh that neither TV was DTV. Both Winnebago and Roy Robinson were very polite in telling me it was not their problem and they would do nothing about this issue.

Frankly, I'm irate with both and I don't think I should have to install 1 or 2 converter boxes or purchase two new TVs in my 07 mh due to their dishonest and uninformative (intentional or unintentional) sales practices. I urge all of you to inspect your TVs and be prepared for the conversion in 2009.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:56 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Let me start by saying I'm aware that on cable and satelite a converter box is unnecesary.

With all the public service announcements about the conversion to DTV I decided to check the TVs in my mh. I assumed when I prepared to do this that it would be a waste of time because I have an 07. To my surprise, the bedroom TV actually has a small sticker on it that warns the TV is not digtally compatible and the living room TV has nothing. I called both Winnebago and my dealer, Roy Robinson RV in Marysville, WA to express my disatisfaction that I purchased an 07 and the bedroom TV was not digital. Winnebago was nice enough to inform me after pulling up the info on my mh that neither TV was DTV. Both Winnebago and Roy Robinson were very polite in telling me it was not their problem and they would do nothing about this issue.

Frankly, I'm irate with both and I don't think I should have to install 1 or 2 converter boxes or purchase two new TVs in my 07 mh due to their dishonest and uninformative (intentional or unintentional) sales practices. I urge all of you to inspect your TVs and be prepared for the conversion in 2009.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:20 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

This is no surprise to anyone that's been watching these forums for the last year at least. I'm not sure why you're taking it out on Robinson since it really isn't their problem, and as far as Winne, I think you better make a list because this is still the norm rather than the exception for all but a very few. Get your coupons, plug in the converters and don't worry about it.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 06:33 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Shucks, I'm irate that my '03 coach that was built in '02 doesn't have digitial TVs too, but 6 years or even 2 years before the switch-over might be expecting too much. Now, if I bought a 2009 coach that was not digital ready, then I would be REALLY irate, AND believe I was justifiably so!!

I got two coupons, but then gave one to the m-i-l because I realized I have never watched antenna TV on the bedroom set. Then I put the one converter box I bought behind the VCR/DVD so we can watch analog on any TV by selecting ANT and we can watch DIGITAL on any TV by selecting VCR.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:52 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

With an obligation to defend my position I would say this to both of you, in 03 I don't think the Feds made the decision to make this switch and if so I highly doubt that Winnebago and their dealers knew about it but in an 07 I certainly suspect they were aware of it and as I have recently learned the TVs with digital tuners were available.

Secondly, I am worried and angry about it because they had knowledge of this when I purchased my MH and the dealer didn't inform me of this. I certainly would not have gone out in 07 and bought a new TV for my home that was analog only.....unless I had a salesman who failed to inform me of the pending changes and Im sure they would've seen this as an opportunity for an upsale, not omit the information and send me home with something outdated in a year and a half. Also, Roy Robinson informed me that Winnie and they have been receiving and selling 08 models as recently as a few months ago that still had analog only. Tell me that isn't misleading and poor sales practice?
Old 08-10-2008, 05:26 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

To the OP--a large number of TVs for sale at all the big box retailers are still analog! Seems incredible, but I'm told that the reason is that so many folks use cable/satellite only and the analog is cheaper.

Janjanjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:20 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Not to change the point, but can not just one converter box be placed in Video Switch Compartment with the input from the roof antenna and the output placed into the "antenna in" spot on video switch box? Thus both TVs get the signal based on which input you have chosen on the selector box.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:27 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bsellers:
Also, Roy Robinson informed me that Winnie and they have been receiving and selling 08 models as recently as a few months ago that still had analog only. Tell me that isn't misleading and poor sales practice? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>"Misleading" is telling you that the coach was equipped with something that it wasn't, and that isn't the case (is it?). We bought our coach from Robinson as well and I consider them to be one of the most up-front and honest dealers I have run across. Again, this is not their problem; they sell what they're presented to sell from Winne. Robinson nor Winnebago did not lie, mis-represent, or do any bait n' switch. It was what it was.

Having said that, this is clearly a buyer aware issue. Things change and technology moves ahead. If Winne has a warehouse full of analog TV's, they are going to exhaust that supply before restocking. I'm sure the accountants and stockholders would take issue with Winne tossing out hundreds or thousands of TV's because in 2 years you now have to add a $10 to $50 converter box to keep it running (and these converters weren't real plentiful in '07). I wasn't thrilled that my '06 wasn't ATSC either, but at the same time, what was available then has been completely eclipsed by newer and far better looking LCD panels. Bottom line: you should have known to ask.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 08-10-2008, 10:41 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RoadRohrers:
Not to change the point, but can not just one converter box be placed in Video Switch Compartment with the input from the roof antenna and the output placed into the "antenna in" spot on video switch box? Thus both TVs get the signal based on which input you have chosen on the selector box. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is my understanding that will not work very well. Your antenna has a signal booster powered by power back up the cable. Putting a box in the line from the antenna to your selector will inhibit the signal amplifier.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:41 AM   #10
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Sounds like a good negotiating issue for anyone who is looking for a used late model. Ask the dealer to install the converter before the deal is made.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:45 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I bought mine from Robinson too.

Before I purchased, I actually asked them if the bedroom TV was digital because it is an LCD.

Of course, they told me no, they didn't think so. I didn't think it was that big of a deal at the time (and still don't) because, for me, receiving a digital signal on an analog TV is not that big a deal because I'm not that scrutinizing.

I agree with all that Jeff said. The folks at Robinson didn't mislead me or tell me "sure, that TV is digital" just to help make the sale. They seem like upfront folks.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:40 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Petro:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RoadRohrers:
Not to change the point, but can not just one converter box be placed in Video Switch Compartment with the input from the roof antenna and the output placed into the "antenna in" spot on video switch box? Thus both TVs get the signal based on which input you have chosen on the selector box. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is my understanding that will not work very well. Your antenna has a signal booster powered by power back up the cable. Putting a box in the line from the antenna to your selector will inhibit the signal amplifier.

Don </div></BLOCKQUOTE> if you dont turn the booster on, why would it matter?
Old 08-10-2008, 12:15 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Most if not all the big boys buy their tv's a year or more in advance. My son is VP of Sales for Carriage 5th wheels and this is the first year that they are all digital. Went with new flatscreens.

My 07 is not digital either. Wish it was but not a major problem.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:31 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Gee Jeff, I'm not so sure that you aren't employed by Roy Robinson. It is misleading and they are omitting important sales information when they have it but they don't represent or share that with the buyer. I guarantee you that if this was a safety issue and there were crashes and deaths involved that you would have a differnet view on this matter, especially if you were driving around one of their victim vehicles. Simply put, they knew this was coming and I was an uninformed consumer a year ago when I purchased this and they should have informed me. I would also add that FCC rules require them to post any analog TV sold after 3/1/07 with a notice that it is not DTV and both Winnie and Robinson failed to do this with my living room TV....deceptive??? Makes me think they were trying to hide something to move the product and minimize there expenses.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:19 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

This is obviously your opinion, and if you read through the thread you stand alone. So it's not worth trying to convince you otherwise is it...?

It's not mechanical nor safety related, it's a TV. Install a converter like the rest of us have and quit stressing this.

edited for content

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 08-10-2008, 03:19 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Welcome to the real world where our standards and expectations aren't always met by companies we do business with.

My '05's bedroom TV was about a year old when Winnie installed it in my coach. You didn't say when your coach was actually built.

I agree with you - I would like to have known beforehand that my TVs weren't digital ready. However, if I was the purchaser of your coach and if I knew beforehand the TVs weren't digital ready, that would not have influenced my purchase decision one way or the other.

Digital (or analog) over-the-air TV for me a is huge non-event. We have been on the road for about ten weeks and I think I tried over-the-air TV one time.

I agree with Jeff - time to move on...

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 03:35 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

I noticed the almost 5 inch by 3/4 inch sticker on my bedroom TV the first day I looked at my 07 motorhome. I said then , I will deal with it when 2009 comes around.

Take responsibility for your lack of attention and stop blaming others.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 03:59 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Jeff: you are correct it probably isn't worth trying to convince me just as it sounds like you are sympathetic to Winnie and Robinson and there is no convincing you either.

John: This is probably a bigger concern for me than many other because I'm not a F/T but merely a weekender. And had I known this it likely would've influenced my buying decision to the point that we would've ended up negotiating of different TVs.

Jim: To you comment of the 5" sticker that is certainly not my case, the sticker is maybe 1/2" X 1" clear with black print on a dark gray TV, nearly impossible to see.

Thanks to all of you for pointing out I need to be a better consumer as I would agree in this case. Generally, I'm very thorough about issues like this when I have knowledge of them, unfortunately I didn't have the knowledge at the time of my purhcase to ask the needed questions and Winnie and Robinson did have the information to inform me, therefore; IT'S THEIR FAULT!!!
Old 08-10-2008, 04:12 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">can not just one converter box be placed in Video Switch Compartment with the input from the roof antenna and the output placed into the "antenna in" spot on video switch box? Thus both TVs get the signal </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes -- and I have no idea how well that would work with the signal amplifier.

There are other ways to connect the box so that both/all TVs get the same signal. One that Winnebago recommended that I did (and mentioned in my earlier post in this thread) is to hook up the converter box between the switch box and VCR/DVD. We can watch analog on any TV by selecting ANT for that TV, and we can watch DIGITAL on any TV by selecting ANT for the VCR and VCR for that TV.

Oh, and the few times I have tried the digital box, unless I turn on the signal amplifier I get NO DIGITAL SIGNALS AT ALL.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:52 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

We also bought our motorhome from Roy Robinson in Marysville, WA. We were very impressed with this dealership and had the best buying experience of any auto or RV dealer we ever dealt with. We did a factory order on a 2008 Adventurer and everything went just fine. We got what we ordered the way we ordered it. Our experience with their service department has been great. They are friendly, helpful and act like they appreciate your business. Our 2008 has digital TV in front and bedroom. We didn't order it that way and didn't even think to ask but that is the way it came. I could not fault the dealer for Winnebago not installing a digital TV if it were not there. That is up to Winnebago as to what is installed, the dealer has no say if it is not on the option sheet. When we ordered there was no option to select a digital TV and none of the literature I have on our unit indicates what type of TV is put into it, it just states the size. I do not believe that Roy Robinson or Winnebago misled you. Winnebago just put in what they had.

2007 Honda CRV
comp-time is offline   Reply With Quote