Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

cable wiring problems + other issues with new 33C

We finally got to take the new 2014 33C Sightseer out for a 5 day trip and when I hooked up the cable in the campground, all I got were a few snowy channels. I checked everything but nothing seemed amiss. We finally hooked up the cable from the outside connection directly to the TV thru a window and it worked fine so the question is has anyone had a similar problem and what was the fix. I think that somewhere in the internal connections they switched the sat and cable connections. Any help or suggestions other that bringing it back to the dealer where we have an appt on the 30th to deal with the awning issue and a bad Jensen DVD unit. We also have a small leak coming from the bathroom faucet leaking out from the housing and dripping slowly underneath into the convertor area.
We're a bit upset that these issues have arisen since Winnebago brags about their great quality control. Tomorrow I'm going to call the customer service line and gripe about these problems - guess the dealer will fix them but we then lose time when we could be Rving.
ncfllyguy
ncflyguy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Did you make sure that your antenna boost switch is turned off? On most RVs I know, the antenna boost can seriously mess with a cable signal (which neither needs nor wants a boost).

Also, I assume you ran auto-programming on your TV for the park's cable channels?
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Ditto above turn off the antenna boost switch, page 8-4 in the manual.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:18 AM   #4
aa1ssradio

Yup Booster was probably on.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:57 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

I have the same problem with a '06 Sightseer I bought used. The cable connection from the outside to the tv did not work. I tested and checked everything, finally determining it was in the internal wiring somewhere in the coach. Ended up using the Satellite feed from outside to the tv, after switching the connections to the switch. If I use the satellite, I have to run a separate lead from outside thru the window
Old 09-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I agree with the others. Turn off the antenna boost. Had the same thing one night drove us crazy until we figured it out.
rini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

This isn't your grandfathers television and/or entertainment system. You have to use the menu button to tell the television to connect to either the cable, antenna, or satellite dish. Then you have to tell the television to search for the available channels Once it's gone through the search procedure you can again use the remote to see which channels are available and how to access them. Only the basics of turning on and off the television are covered in our 2013 generic operators manual.

All the details of accessing over the air, cable, and satellite channels are in the "Supplimental Operators Manual". The Supplimental Operators Manual is specific to your motorhome. It contains all the information about each piece of electronics installed either as standard or optional equipment. There are several brands of televisions, DVD players, satellite dishes, and entertainment centers to choose from when either you or the dealer ordered the motorhome.

Section 8 of the supplimental manual covers the electronics. Each sub-section covers the details of how to operate one of the components. When programing the television you have to follow the step by step instructions. If you miss or misinterpret one of the steps you won't be able to get it to work.

It took me almost 2 days to read through and understand each of the instructions. The manuals are written by people who already know how to operate and program the systems. They use industry specific jargon that the average consumer has never heard of, and assume you know what they're talking about. If you're patient you can wade through the initial set of instructions. Once you figure it out the second time through is easier. After a couple dozen times of setting up the system and programing it for different channels in different areas of the country you might even get comfortable doing it.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:12 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Yes all that being said, read the owners manual, and when that doesn't work, read it again.
Now, after all of that it may be possible that your line is cut or not even connected or better yet missing components like our new 2014 Sunstar. Good thing the cable worked but the DVD didn't output to the TV and the HD composite video box was not even there. I'm glad I was not dependent on satellite. The DW would have really been PO'd at me.
Make you list of all the things that don't work and drop your MH off at your dealer and have them fix it. If they say there is nothing wrong with it then have them show you how to properly operate it. Don't take no for an answer, also they should have gone over all of this with you during the Delivery Inspection. If this is your first MH or RV then ask if they have NEWBIE Classes you can take.
Just remember, just because you paid over $100K for it doesn't mean that it will be any better than the $25K you paid for your car. It just means it cost more.

Tags
wiring, wiring problems