Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2007, 02:15 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Could use some advice on which CB radio
and no ground plane antenna to install on my new Itasca Cambria. The cockpit is pretty small so I need a compact radio. Had the Cobra 29LTD Classic on my last motorhome. It was a good one but too big for my application
gunawo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:15 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Could use some advice on which CB radio
and no ground plane antenna to install on my new Itasca Cambria. The cockpit is pretty small so I need a compact radio. Had the Cobra 29LTD Classic on my last motorhome. It was a good one but too big for my application
gunawo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 03:02 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

The smallest is the Cobra "One hander" type radio. All the controls are in the micraphone. I recomend that you may want to consider adding a remote speaker to this type radio as the speaker is normally also in the radio handset. The remote speaker plugs into abox that can be mounted under the dash or wherever where the antenna and the mic connect. I can't recomend an antenna as I am using the Winnie mounted antenna.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:07 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Try West Marine and look for a marine version of the antenna. Typically they are designed for mounting on fiberglass with no ground plane.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:51 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Try Firestik no ground plane antennas. I put the cellular look-alike on my roof as it is a low profile antenna.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:43 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Cobra "One hander" type radio </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have a Cobra 75 WST w/all controls & speaker in the mic. It works great. I did not add an external speaker and have no complaints with hearing mine. It likely depends on where you hang the mic.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:15 AM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

I have a "Firestik".
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 09:45 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

how good of reception is the Winnebago roof mount antenna. i just checked with the dealer and the antenna and coax sells for about $50, plus if i want them to put the hole in the roof about 1 hour labor. just not sure how good these antennas really are. there really is no other place to mount them.
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 10:39 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

That's the dilemma I keep hearing. Reception is very limited compared to ground plane antennas. Most comments seem in indicate about a 1/2 mile. I think a hand held CB would get about the same reception.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:24 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

majfrizz -- I don't think much of the Winnie OEM antennas. Had one on my prior coach, and was glad the '07 didn't come with one. Buy the Firestik antenna (they have several models, one similar to the OEM Winnie antenna) and have them install it for you.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-16-2007, 12:07 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AFChap:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Cobra "One hander" type radio </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have a Cobra 75 WST w/all controls & speaker in the mic. It works great. I did not add an external speaker and have no complaints with hearing mine. It likely depends on where you hang the mic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the same in two vehicles and am quite satisfied. It is very convenient to install and all you see when you are done is the handset and cord. For the motor home, I purchased the 4 foot handset extension cord and routed it behind my dash so that it was in a convenient location in the middle (biased toward the driver) of the dash.

My RV came with CB prep and I used that antenna, no complaints.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:23 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I hope this will be considered relevant to the thread since the OP will need to install his CB.

On our new 08 Sightseer 35J it says it has the CB wiring. From my 35U I knew that meant that that there was a bag near the steering wheel, under the dash that had the wiring...it even shows this in the new manual. BUT, ain't so. I knew the 35J did not have a the Winnie Rusty CB Antenna but thought coax would be there. Nope (and it makes sense because different antennas use different lengths of coax).

I called Winnie and they said that there is no bag (the manual is wrong), just a yellow and white wire with a CB label on it. Well, I can tell you that one thing hasn't changed from 2001: they hide that wiring superbly. My daughter is more nimble than I and she has searched everywhere. Has anyone actually found these wires? Thanks, Steve
Old 11-28-2007, 04:22 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

is there any pros or cons between the FIRESTIK roof mount or the sidewall mount, either way a hole gets drilled thru...
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:29 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

The 2 Firestik models I am aware of for roof mount both have the capability of being laid flat against the roof for low clearance situations (which I need when pulling into my barn). The side-mount will not provide this convenience.

I do understand that the fiberglass 4' antenna outperforms the others, though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]