Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-28-2012, 07:55 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Send a message via Skype™ to JMerenda
Bedroom TV and Forward control Box

Hello,

I notice that this long row of selector switches in my "W" Sightseer 35J has a switch to send DVD signal to back TV in Master Bed, however I don't think it's connected. IS it supposed to be? It's apparently a mystery to the "pro's" at the RV dealership complete with Winnebago "expert".
Old 01-28-2012, 08:42 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

If you get any other signal to the back tv then I suspect the DVD player is not connected properly. It uses RCA plugs, and may be attached backwards.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:01 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Had the same problem on my 09 Southwind. Discovered that the installed dvd/surround sound system did not support any additional outputs. Installed a second dvd player to support bedroom & outside tv. Cost $35.00 for new dvd. Plugged right into the switch box.
fixn2gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Here are the TV Coax Wiring Diagram and TV/DVD, Front Wiring Installation wiring diagrams for your coach.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

We call that box a BOMB (Box of Many Buttons)
In theory the DVD should be connected to the rear of it via 3 RCA type cables (One Red, One Yellow One White) the box also as a 12 volt connection.

Now, to watch a DVD in the bedroom. TURN ON THE POWER SWITCH (normally the one on the left but no guarantee there) make sure the light comes on.

Then choose either chan 3 or chan 4, That may be a slide on the back or a button on the front, Then choose DVD for the proper TV (bedroom, may be called TV-2)

Now back in the bedroom tune to either chan 3 or chan 4 analog. NOTE: it matters not if you have your tv set to CABLE or Analog OTA, Chan 3 and Chan 4 are the same for all schemes. Chan 4 is NOT TO BE CONFUSED with 4-1, which is a digital ota channel.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:01 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Send a message via Skype™ to JMerenda
THX

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
Here are the TV Coax Wiring Diagram and TV/DVD, Front Wiring Installation wiring diagrams for your coach.

Most helpful, thank you
Old 02-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Chris, have you ever had to pull new coax in your RV? I have an older 88 model superchief that has a problem with the cable run from the roof connection to the front master switch unit. I was hoping to use the old coax for a "pull wire"... but I can't get it to budge from either end. Any suggestions?
buckbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:11 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

if you have analog tv's with the digital converter box I do not think the dvd will work on the rear tv. maybe with some more splitters or a/b switches, but I could never get it to work untill I replaced the rear TV. still need to replace the front one.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbuck View Post
Chris, have you ever had to pull new coax in your RV? I have an older 88 model superchief that has a problem with the cable run from the roof connection to the front master switch unit. I was hoping to use the old coax for a "pull wire"... but I can't get it to budge from either end. Any suggestions?
No, I haven't--sorry. You might give Winnebago Cust. Service a call with you Winnebago serial number. They may be able to tell you how the cable is liable to be secured and whether there is any chance of pulling it through.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:41 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

You have to understand DVD systems. I would think the "Ex-Spurts" at the dealer would but, hey,, what do they know.

The DVD has no RF out, the box switches RF (radio frequency) so as you can see some conversion has to be done.. Thus the box has, built into it, a device called a modulator.

The Modulator changes the A/V signal (Video, left & right audio) into an RF signal on either channel 3 or 4.

TO DO THIS IT MUST BE TURNED ON, and it must have 12 volts to it.

The power switch is usually on the left, the chan 3/4 next to it.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:51 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

I think the Winn box you are referring to is the coax switch box. To use it with a DVD player, you must use the coax output from the DVD. There are no phono inputs on this switch box. If your DVD player doesn't have the coax output, then you are out of luck. First thing to check is the DVD player for a coax output and then insure it is connected to the switch box. As others have suggested, it won't work if you have a digital adapter on the set but if it doesn't and you get a tv signal, you should also get the DVD as it uses the same coax cable for both.
Bob
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:25 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
I think the Winn box you are referring to is the coax switch box. To use it with a DVD player, you must use the coax output from the DVD. There are no phono inputs on this switch box. If your DVD player doesn't have the coax output, then you are out of luck. First thing to check is the DVD player for a coax output and then insure it is connected to the switch box. As others have suggested, it won't work if you have a digital adapter on the set but if it doesn't and you get a tv signal, you should also get the DVD as it uses the same coax cable for both.
Bob
this jogged my memory. if you have a didital converter box on your rear tv it must be able to let the signal thru when is powered off. not all do.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikf
if you have analog tv's with the digital converter box I do not think the dvd will work on the rear tv. maybe with some more splitters or a/b switches, but I could never get it to work untill I replaced the rear TV. still need to replace the front one.
We had an analog tv in the overhead in front ,so I went to Walmart and got the digital box for the front tv and it worked great except come to find out the front tv then controlled all the other tv's, so I returned it the next day and bit the bullet and put in a nice flat screen over head and that was that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1712049973.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	226.5 KB
ID:	18384
Rsanchez24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

If you properly install digital converters you won't have a problem with one controlling all TV's. in fact if that happens, you have done it wrong.

The proper install is one of two setups

1: Ant---Switch box---Converter TV

-or-

2_ ant---switch box---Splitter ----TV
and - - - - - - - - - - - - Splitter -converter - A/V Cables - TV

OR

Picking up at splitter

Splitter to Switch, "A" port, Splitter to Converter, Converter to Switch "B" port Remaining swithc port to TV.

In case 1: Converter MUST have analog pass through
IN case 2 you select OTA Digital by choosing ANT at the front and LINE IN (A/V) at the TV, For all other sources simply choose the proper choice up front.

IN case 3. See 2 but.. Switch the switch to "A" for analog sources (IE park cable) and B for Binary (Digital) source (ATSC Converter) whilc making the proper choice up front.

NOTE: I use method 3.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:11 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I hooked it up: antenna to converter box. From converter box to antenna in port on switch box.

My converter has it's own remote and the front and rear tv show whatever comes through the converter box . Everything works fine. after all channels are tuned in I use the converter box remote to change channels. I have the original TVs from the year 2000.

Once we full- time I will upgrade TVs and won't need the converter box.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

I dont doubt that I hooked the box up wrong. But I love the new flat screen. Lol
Rsanchez24 is offline   Reply With Quote