Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-06-2010, 11:48 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Backup Cameras

Hi All,
My Sony Black & White SSC-530AM Camera and SSM-721 AMR Monitor sometimes work when turned on and sometimes just Flash a brief picture then fade to gray. Any opinions on the best replacement Camera/Monitor systems out there?. Any advantage to going to color?.
Thanks in advance
John
Golfinscorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

I had B&W on my 06 Monaco Knight and it was a real poor picture so I replaced it with color monitor and color rear camera. Left the side cameras B&W. Cost about $500.

Key point is to be sure that whatever you buy has connections that are compatible with your current wiring. I bought a Weldex for that reason (my exisitng system was Weldex) but I later learned that other makes had the same connections, so I could have changed to a different vendor without any problems.

It's a pretty easy swap. I'd recommend checking with Winnegago for compatible vendors.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I switched mine to Color on the rear and added an inside color camera. Still have the sides in B/W. Got it at rvcams.com. They had all the adapters that I needed. I was able the get it to fit into the original mounting hole with just a few zip ties. Only had to grind off a few small tabs on the display to get it to fit. Looks great. I can watch any combination of cameras at once. From one camera to four camera at once.

The b/w does show more contrast detail but I still like color. Mine used the voyager display.
sam-tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

backup cameras

thanks guys, I think I would like to add a couple more cameras when I update. Any thoughts on driving with the cameras on, I tried it (when the darn thing worked) and I liked it.
Golfinscorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinscorp View Post
thanks guys, I think I would like to add a couple more cameras when I update. Any thoughts on driving with the cameras on, I tried it (when the darn thing worked) and I liked it.
If the rear camera is on, then you are certain your toad is still there! Also, you can see when you've passed something, so you can start your signal going to pull back in the right lane (assuming you EVER get to pass something!). I've passed perhaps less than 20 vehicles in 34,000 miles!
Ustamiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ustamiata View Post
If the rear camera is on, then you are certain your toad is still there! Also, you can see when you've passed something, so you can start your signal going to pull back in the right lane (assuming you EVER get to pass something!). I've passed perhaps less than 20 vehicles in 34,000 miles!

WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU DRIVING!!!

I passed more than 20 vehicles in the 700 mile trip from So. Padre Island to Oklahoma City.... and I have a '93 32' Gasser pulling a '95 Blazer...

but back to topic, mine never came with cameras so i spent the $59.99 at Harbor Freight and got me the 2 B&W camera's with monitor. ran my wires inside my trim along the side all the way to the front and then pushed through existing holes in the dash to get them to the screen. put both cameras on the back clear at the top, one looking down on my tow bar (that thing makes me nervous so i'm always watching that!) the other one pointed straight back, it shows the very back top of my blazer so i know where i am for distance and then it shows back as far as i can see. allows me to see upcoming traffic so i don't cut someone off, i can see the tip of the Blazer so i know when i'm clear to cross back over, and between the two i can hookup to the blazer by myself while my wife stand back there and pretends that she is doing such a fantastic job ligning me up! :-) (seriously though, her hand signals look like a baseball coach from the dugout!!!)

good luck with your choice, use whats comfortable for you and what is easier on your eyes, remember to think about how bright it will be driving at night, how easy can the screen be seen if the sun is reflecting on it through the window, is it easy to operate while traveling 70mph, and also for the camera think of nightvision or not too...

Good Luck
ChrisNiemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:09 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Lots of neat functionality

I can't say whether this is better than anything else but we bought it and are installing it next week. It seems to have lots of neat functions. They also offer a 2 or 3 camera version.

Costco - Backup (1) Camera System with 7" LCD Screen By Rear View Safety

Please Note: This commercial grade camera system is best suited for RV's,Trucks, Buses, Emergency vehicles, Cargo Vans, Trailers, Forklifts, Pickup Trucks, Boats or any other large vehicle. This system is not intended for use on cars and suvs.

This 1 camera system is complete with a crystal clear 7" TFT LCD Color monitor with mirror image capability, a 3 channel multiplexer (can connect a dvd player or other cameras with automatic system switch, One (1) 130° CCD camera with 50 foot infra-red night vision and all the wires, connectors and mounts you will need.

The system is completely weather proof with a IP67 rating, strong and reliable, shock resistant with a 10G impact rating (highest in the industry) and comes with a full year warranty.

Features and conveniences:

Camera
  • 1/4 sharp color CCD, 250k pixels, 2.1 mm wide lens with 130° angle, 420 TV lines (which means best quality image, with no blind spots)
  • 18 automatic Infra-red night vision illuminates= 50 feet of vision in the darkest night. With built in foam around lens (so you are garneted not to have any glare from the IR's).
  • Built in High Gain Microphone
  • Extremely strong weather proof casing, with 10g impact rating, as well as a screw base and water proof sleeve connection.
Monitor
  • 7” Color TFT LCD monitor 16:9 wide screen with selectable option from monitor for 4:3 (super sharp image 1440x234)
  • Built-in speakers and earphone jack
  • Remote control (all functions can be controlled from the monitor)
Multiplexer and system
  • 3 channel Multiplexer allowing you to connect additional cameras or DVD player (can be selected from monitor or remote)
  • Mirror imaging so you can see proper side
  • Automatic switch (option to automatically have the system turn on when in reverse)
  • Allows 12-24 dc power
  • All cables and connectors are weatherproof

Package is complete with:
  • 1 Color CCD infra-red weather proof camera
  • 1 7" TFT LCD color monitor with universal mount/stand and wire
  • 1 Three channel multiplexer control unit
  • 1 66’ extension cable for camera
  • 1 Remote control
  • 1 Power connection wire
  • 1 Double RCA + power converter, (to connect external, audio video and power)
  • 1 Screw kit for installation
Hopefully it is a good one! We got the single camera version as we weren't sure where we would mount cameras 2 and 3. However if anyone here wants to chime in I'd be interested to know what would be a good use for them.

Michelle
micd is offline   Reply With Quote