Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-03-2019, 12:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Attaching 9’ Plastic Kayak to 2008 View Ladder?

I have a 9’ Plastic Kayak about 40lbs. I have a tow hitch metal basket on backend. (I use it for lawn chairs, extra cooler etc.) I would like to stand the kayak up in a plastic crate on the metal basket and then attach it vertically to the ladder. I just can’t figure out how to do this. I plan to travel cross country with my kayak so it needs to be stable but easy to take down and use. The only thing I have found is a custom made vertical rack for $1300+-no way! I’ve looked at bike racks etc. trying to figure out a way to rig it. I also have a small electric bike but that is secondary to this challenge to solve.

I’m a 65 year old woman, recently widowed and this kind of stuff is new to me, hubby used to do all the work on the RV. So if you have a picture and some specific details, it would really help. I don’t know where else to research!
Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:00 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

There's a lot on line, including some commercial items made specifically for this purpose. Google "RV Ladder Kayak Mount" for more info.

From a DIY standpoint, I would think that, for such a light kayak, you could simply strap it to the ladder with some nylon cargo straps, making sure they're woven through the ladder's rungs so they don't slip down. You'll probably need a small step ladder to reach the upper strap. The weight will be supported by your hitch rack so this doesn't need to be elaborate.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 03:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
There's a lot on line, including some commercial items made specifically for this purpose. Google "RV Ladder Kayak Mount" for more info.

From a DIY standpoint, I would think that, for such a light kayak, you could simply strap it to the ladder with some nylon cargo straps, making sure they're woven through the ladder's rungs so they don't slip down. You'll probably need a small step ladder to reach the upper strap. The weight will be supported by your hitch rack so this doesn't need to be elaborate.
Two more things:

1. Pad the rungs under the straps with pool noodles or something similar.

2. Rig a simple rope and pulley on the ladder at the top of the kayak to help lift it into place and hold it in place while you strap it to the ladder.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote