Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2005, 08:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Any Hams out here in there RV's would like to hear how you have set up you RV and ham rigs ants, radios, etc. Maybe if there are a good number of us the administrator might let us start a fourm for Hams that camp.

Hope to hear from you soon
73's
Mark N1QWW
Old 10-14-2005, 08:21 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Any Hams out here in there RV's would like to hear how you have set up you RV and ham rigs ants, radios, etc. Maybe if there are a good number of us the administrator might let us start a fourm for Hams that camp.

Hope to hear from you soon
73's
Mark N1QWW
Old 10-15-2005, 03:27 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

WB5THT here...

I have toyed with the idea of putting 2 meters in the coach. I have several VHF and a couple of UHF radios gathering dust and also have my old IC735 HF rig and auto tuner on the shelf. I was real active on the boat since that was our primary communications pipeline. I don't think I have been on the air in years

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 05:51 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I have a 2M in the truck, but so far have not moved it over to the trailer. Would not be a problem though.

Ken
Old 10-15-2005, 08:16 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

well guy's and I know that there has to be some gal's out here too. lets start this thread and try to keep it going maybe we can try to even get a net going with it and rv,net not bad better than the CB radio we have in units people will respond to you not try to walk over you. a HF net would be nice 20 meter 10 meters maybe I hold a general class lic. my wife Joanne is a no code tech but for locale traffic thats fine I too have not been on air as much as I would have like to but will try more first problem is finding way to put my 5 band ant on motor home it will let me work 2,440,6,10,20. I want to install my icom 706mkII in it using the above ant no tunner needed.

Hey John there a task for you install one in your rig take pictures and post and then we can copy you.

73's
Mark N1QWW
Joanne N1TEJ
Old 10-15-2005, 08:31 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mark Bento:
Hey John there a task for you install one in your rig take pictures and post and then we can copy you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I have been reveling in all of my completed projects and I don't think I want to add any more reveling candidates to the list just yet ;-) It has been nice taking a break and enjoying the coach.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 05:36 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I had a 2 meter rig in the previous coach, but never re-installed it (an Icom under-dash) in this one. But I keep a Yaseau HF rig and a couple of Ham Stiks in the rig, and have a bracket on the top of the rear ladder. When we set up in a campground, I'll screw a stik on the mount, and drop a coax down the back of the coach, lay it on the ground under the coach (I know, I know, this is not the high tech way), and bring it in a window near the front table. I did make a filler strip to close the window on where the coax enters, and that keeps the bugs out. (That's high tech, isn't it?)

I have had HF qso's on sideband with hams in Norway, Chile, Chicago, Washington State, New Hampshire, etc. with this setup, running the Yaseau barefoot, from the campground in the Keys.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 08:36 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
I'm running a Yaesu FT100 driving an ATAS100 mounted near the top of the ladder with fifty foot of coax running underneath the coach in a protective cover to the engine cover and coming into the coach to the radio mounted under the dash on the left side. I have a separation kit with the controls mounted on the left side of the dash. Since I have the P32 chassis, I don't have an overdrive switch on the dash, so the control head is mounted there. I use a glass mount on the upper left side of the windshield for 2m and 440.

Everything works well, except that I can't get the antenna to tune up on 20 meters. I have a heavy ground braid running from the antenna base down the side of the ladder to a ground bolt on the frame below the left rear taillight. It will tune on 6, 10, 12, 15, 17, 30, and 40 meters. I haven't figured that out yet.

I also have a Yaeu FT857 in my PT Cruiser, which is my toad and a Yaesu FT847 on a vertical in my house. (Yes, I'm a Yaesu man.)

If someone wants to set up a net, I'd be happy to participate. I'm a retired electrical engineer, and we love to travel in the Brave.

We were on the Alaska No. 1 Caravan this year, and we've been out for a month in the Carolinas.

Let me know if you want to get together. Maybe we can setup a schedule.

By the way, if you (or anyone else) have an idea how to solove my 20 meter problem, I'd appreciate it. I tried adding 12 feet of coax to the lead in, but that didn't help.

W8RLM - Bob
Old 10-16-2005, 04:16 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

One day I'll get around to putting a rig in the MH. A Yaesu FT8900R maybe.

KF4LQT

Gunny
gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 04:00 AM   #10

My wife and I are both hams. She is WB5TQL and I am W5JKC. We haven't been very active in the last 15+ years. Just got burned out with the flood of new equipment and escalating prices. We have a very old 2m rig gathering dust in the store room, and have thought about installing it in the Brave, but just haven't gotten a 'roundtuit.'
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 01:59 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I have been running an original ICOM 706 with various antennas on my MH for a few years. I have used just about all of them including the "Old Slinky Toy" antenna from the 1980's. Basically all work quite well, but I have settled on the Tar Heel screwdriver antenna as over best performer.

I had this in my Winnebago Minne Class C and now my new Sightseer and it works just great.

Last winter in Florida, I worked jsut about all of the guys in the Carribean and South America, plus I worked about 50 stations in Europe, plus some US contacts which were the hardest due to skip distances, etc.

I also run the Airmail program to give me email access mostly through 40 meters.

Try this site for installation info:

http://www.wolfswords.com/motorhome/amateur_radio.html
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 07:21 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Hey Ted,
Not trying to highjack the topic, but good to here from you!! New Rig???? When are you and Judy going to bring it to Texas and show it off!!

Best,
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 03:59 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

KS4OJ here,
interesting idea about a ham thread.....
I haven't done any HF out of the MH but usually carry a couple of HT's for 2m/70cm work but that's mostly with xyl (KF4NHJ). it seems to me that the internet has put a nasty dent in Amatuer Radio. 73
Ol'Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 04:02 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Mark,

Have installed 2m/70cm FM via thru the glass on the right front windscreen and HF via Kenwood 2000 (little redundency here but the Kenwood came later) and Carolina screwdriver via remote controlled lay-down antenna attached to rear ladder.

Have not used other systems, but these seem to do what I need.

KA4CKI
Old 10-18-2005, 05:38 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Hey guys this is great but how about some pictures of what you did so we can see it and try to see if it would work for us?

Mark
N1qww
2000 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Old 10-21-2005, 04:41 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

KG6LSB here in Auburn CA.

I'd like to know how well the through the glass dual band antennas work. My YL says no holes in the motor home.

George
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 06:52 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Have Icom 706 in 20 sightseer. Radio mounts under tilt dash and face plate has been moved several times. Snow bird to SW FL on 14.340 at 9AM for NJ -FL net week days. Using High Sierra 1800 mounted on ladder and have 2m/440 antenna mounted to gutter driver side. Look for n2xyz on back of MH
n2xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 04:37 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I also use the "High Tech" method of running
the coax down the ladder and leave it on the ground until Im ready to get on the air.

Running a TS-440/SAT on 20m with a "hamstick" that works very well on the ladder.

2 meters is boring. 440 is dead. Yes, I agree the Internet has taken the Hams away and the younger folks are talking on their keyboards.

A irv2 net could be fun. Im game.

AR SK

NR4A and KI4DIG

New Port Richey, FL
NR4A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 06:40 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

WB0RED here, Advanced class, ex WA5NMR. Remember when the FCC made you change your call when you moved to another region?
Retired electrical engineer who can't believe how much I have forgotten.

I have an old Icom 2AT but can't talk to hardly anyone since it doesn't have that newfangled tone capability.
All my other gear is old Heathkit tube type stuff and is in storage.
I plan to get something more modern if I find a real deal.
I have an old 1Kw Hustler mobile antenna with all the coils up to 2 meters (well, all the coils for bands legal in 1966 anyway.) and will probably dig it out of storage when I get a new (to me) rig.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:49 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

N9MXX here, and my partner Derek jsut got his Tech he is KC9KEM.

We are both now working on our general's...

I have a Azden 2m rig in the truck, but we are kinda holding out till we can get on HF. We want to install a Yaesu 857 in the coach when we do.

I am interested in idea's for the ant. Mount. Am toying with the idea of using Yaesu's AT120 auto tune with the rig... My concern is that it needs a soild ground to operate well.

John

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote