Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2007, 07:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have the Alpine GPS, installed by the factory, in my 07 Vectra. The question I have is can I use Maps and Streets in the Alpine system?
wrollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 07:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have the Alpine GPS, installed by the factory, in my 07 Vectra. The question I have is can I use Maps and Streets in the Alpine system?
wrollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 03:58 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Since nobody else has jumped in here, I'll give you a guess: I seriously doubt it. S&T is designed to run under some version of Windows and your Alpine system might have some proprietary operating system to lock you in to buying their updates.

Your Alpine could run a pocket version of Windows (designed for hand-held devices) but the Alpine probably still uses a proprietary mapping database.

Even if it could use S&T, that would not be my first choice because although rich in the road/POI database, they do a relatively poor job of routing and real-time navigation. I say relatively poor because I think DeLorme and CoPilot set the standard here for laptop-based nav programs.

Still, all of this is speculation.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 04:03 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

wrollins

I agree with John. The Alpine uses it's own proprietary software. I can read the file names from the Alpine DVD on my Windows system, but cannot open them. I doubt there is any way to load a version of Windows onto the Alpine system, or any way to run it there if you could! I use S&T for non-GPS trip routing, but wouldn't want to run it on my GPS.

John's comment about the Alpine proprietary operating system locking you into buying their updates makes me chuckle because I have not been able to find anyone to buy an update from!! My 2003 rig came with an Alpine GPS with 2002 software. It is a pretty pricey system, but my much cheaper portable Garmin GPS will put it to shame every time!! I contacted Alpine about a year ago to ask about buying a software upgrade. The reply was that it would cost me apx $300 and that I could get it from any Alpine dealer. Well, I haven't found an Alpine dealer on every corner, and those I have found have told me "We don't stock updates. You'll have to go directly to Alpine for that." ...wonder if I can somehow plug my Garmin into the Alpine display mounted on top of my dash??
Old 08-26-2007, 06:49 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I like the Alpine GPS but wish I could review the trip on my PC in my home. I would like it to run on the pc and in the RV.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:17 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Does anyone know if there is a new version of the Alpine SmartMap Pro software available? Ours is from 2004 and is not quite up to date.

Also, is a there an RV version available to use with the Alpine navigation system?

I have done some research online, but not much info is available. Thanks.

-----
boulderado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 05:16 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Boulderado, there is an upgrade available from Alpine, but when last I checked they wanted $350 for it, way too expensive in my book since you can darn near buy a brand new Garmin unit for that price. Too many options out there to pay their prices - I know it's nice that the Alpine is mounted cleanly and you don't see the antenna, but it's still too much money for a system that is clunky to use, IMO. Just google Alpine for a phone number, or find you original cd sleeve and you can get them to quote you.

05 Vectra 40 AD
RanchoVectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 01:34 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">new version of the Alpine SmartMap Pro software available? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I finally found an Alpine dealer who got the update info for me here in Albuquerque ...he called Alpine while I stood there listening. Update is $299.00 (price may vary by GPS model # -- mine uses one DVD, some newer models use 2 DVDs), AND he recommended I wait until late Sept or after as that is when the newest version will be released. I currently have the 2002 version.

On another list, someone said you can call Alpine at 1-800-421-2284 and press option 2 to order the DVD.