Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2018, 09:56 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

After Market Leveling System and Camera Systems

I'm going to be getting a 30 foot Class C MH with 2 slide outs. It does not have a rear or side cameras and it does not have a leveling system.

Does anyone have any experience with either types of systems in an after market, self installation type situation?

What's good? What to avoid? Have the Dealership do the install? Easy to install myself?

Any and all thoughts are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Dillon.
Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:37 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

HWH is the one I'm most familiar with. Their hydraulic leveling systems are OEM equipment on most Class A motorhomes. They are based in Moscow, IA and I suggest you give them a call. Installation would most likely be at their plant in IA.

There are other companies that make hydraulic systems so a little searching online might be in order. Installs of any of these systems are generally at the factory and are not "do it yourself".
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:08 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Awesome Luvlabs thanks.
Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:43 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Caution! Stay away from Camping World.
HWH is the best system, let them do it for you.

There are many rear and side camera kits on the market. A lot of folks have stated that they do not like the side cameras and prefer to use their mirrors. I don't know as I only have the OEM rear camera, it is always on.

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...at-s&fr=mcafee
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:01 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We used HWH very pleased. Worth every dime to let them do the install.
MIDMONDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:12 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I ordered one of these for a rear view camera and have been quite happy with it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My rig came with side view cameras but I rarely use them.
I learned a long time ago how to use mirrors, so the side view cameras, while 'cool' are effective I just don't think to use them.
It might be different if they were on all the time, but they are only one when the corresponding turn signal is on. If I'm changing lanes I've already verified using the mirrors that there is a place for me to go before I turn on the turn signal, so at that point the side camera is useless.
When sitting waiting to make a turn, like at a traffic light, having the side camera take over the view from the rear is often annoying because I can't see what's directly behind me (and I already know there is a curb and pole beside me ).

If you go for a wireless rear view camera be sure and get one with a digital signal, similar to what I linked to. I discovered on my previous rig that going cheap with an analog camera gets you a signal that drops our or with lots of static when going down the highway. Apparently you can actually outrun the signal from the camera so that it never quit makes it to the monitor - at least not consistently. Makes for an annoying time trying to see what's behind you when you keep leaving the signal behind.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:58 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I have rear and side cameras. Don't worry about not having side cameras as they are not really useful in my opinion. You are much better to use the mirrrors - they are more reliable, do not distort the depth perspective and are completely useless at night in my opinion. Others might disagree!
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:07 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
Apparently you can actually outrun the signal from the camera so that it never quit makes it to the monitor - at least not consistently. Makes for an annoying time trying to see what's behind you when you keep leaving the signal behind.
Why are you driving near the speed of light? Slow down at least to the speed of sound.
n0ukf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:25 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I had a 37' Gulf Stream that had a separate monitor for the side view camera and got used to glancing at it often to see the blind spots that the mirror miss. Loved it so much that I added the same kit to my new View. The side view cameras can see three lane over on either side at a glance. Very handy is in big city traffic where the general traffic gives the RV's no respect.
Here is what I use. A little price, but it is the best day and night:
https://www.rearviewsystems.com/ultr...704qhdztvk.htm
Tucsontoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, ems, leveling