Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2007, 10:03 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I have an external entertainment center that has stereo speakers. They are wired with yellow and white wires to each speaker. I bought a mini(1/8 inch) female connector from Radio Shack. The wiring diagram has three connectons. Does anyone know how I am to wire the jack correctly? I know that one connector is for the right and one for left. Presumably one is common. I don't know which is to go where.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:03 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have an external entertainment center that has stereo speakers. They are wired with yellow and white wires to each speaker. I bought a mini(1/8 inch) female connector from Radio Shack. The wiring diagram has three connectons. Does anyone know how I am to wire the jack correctly? I know that one connector is for the right and one for left. Presumably one is common. I don't know which is to go where.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

A stereo plug will have three connections, Right, Left, and Common. I'm about 99% certain that a stereo plug will use the tip and the ring next to it for Right/Left (don't know which is which), and the sleeve next to the plug shell for the common.

If you want to be 100% certain, do a Google for stereo wiring or something like that.

Did this answer your question?

(In the telephone world, we called these plug connections Tip/Ring/Sleeve)

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:18 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Or TRS in the audio world.. I don't think I would worry about what's left and right. You're outside, probably off-axis, and just trying to get tunes (ya?). Camping ain't the time to be an audiophile anywhoo..
If all fails, wire it up and pad the balance knob to see if it tracks.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:22 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

John,
I agree with the right, left and common. I am not sure how to determine the common. I was hoping someone would tell me rather than experiment. I don't understand the color coding (yellow and White for each side) My innerds tell me that the White is probably the common. I just wanted the real answer in case there is something that would screw up the radio.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:54 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I haven't heard tip & ring for so long I have to jump in here.
DSouthw524 on your spk's should have a + & - indication on them. Consider the white wire as - and the yellow as + hook up both spk's the same. The third wire is not needed you can select any of the three wires as your pair for spk's just wire both spk's with the same pair so you will not be confused if you change spk's in future.
The only thing about spk's for stereo or surround sound is you do not want to have spk's out of phase. All + & -'s are wired the same for all spk's.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:01 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DSouthw524:
John,
I agree with the right, left and common. I am not sure how to determine the common. I was hoping someone would tell me rather than experiment. I don't understand the color coding (yellow and White for each side) My innerds tell me that the White is probably the common. I just wanted the real answer in case there is something that would screw up the radio. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It MAY not make any difference if the output is transformer isolated. If you have an ohm meter you might check each wire to ground. It's possible that this is a floating, but common ground to the other output as well. You should be able to ohm out the speaker wires against each other as well. White to white and see what you get.
If it were me and I didn't have any instruments, I would probably hook up one speaker and start shorting the other channel across the same speaker. In one mode you will effectively have mono, and the other will short the speaker. But I wouldn't suggest doing this since it's possible that you have B+ floating there. I'd rather wipe out my own radio than yours...

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 07-31-2007, 04:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

For what it is worth, there are no plus and minus indicated on the speakers. I am doubly confused when I look at extension wiring cables for the speakers. They seem to be two wire!

I am from the old school where we used RCA connectors. I am trying to use amplified PC type speakers that use the 1/8" (3.5 mm) cables and connectors.

I am mounting a connector in the panel so that I can use the speakers for the patio without needing too much volume for background.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:09 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

The speakers that you are talking about are "low Level" and run on a low wattage signal. The radio you are connecting to is supplying at least a 4 watt output. It will be uncompatable and won't work.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:58 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

True, there isn't technically a + & - on speakers, but they DO need to be in-phase with each other. And that dictates you either follow the "polarity" of the speaker outputs, or figure it out the old fashion way: Create a "pop" and make sure the speakers both move in the same direction.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 08-01-2007, 02:36 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

The speakers do work! I have tried the old fashioned way with test wires with clips to the pin locations on the connector to the outside speakers. I have also left the original speakers connected and merely spliced into the yellow wires described above. I cannot figure how the white (common?) ever gets to the external speakers however as the external speakers work withoout any connection to the barrel. Using the amplified speakers allows me to turn the basic radio/CD player down and amplify the external speakers as desired for background.